DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a problem with my telephone for the past two mornings. Incoming callers will hear one ring and then are disconnected. My phone rings once then stops. I can make out-going calls. I have two HR20's and if I reset them both, the phone starts working normally again. Any ideas what the problem might be or how I can fix it? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Disconnect one of them at a time, and see which one of the HR20's is causing the problem.

It is possible that it could be something with the Caller-ID on the units, as the HR20's are "listening" to the phone line to get the Caller-ID info

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
gator5000e said:
Speaking of phone lines, is there any way to force a data update call on the HR20 like we could on the HR10-250 TiVo? I don't see that anywhere. Thanks.
Not needed, as it doesn't do the same thing.

The HR20 is constantly getting the guide updates.

That forced called on the TiVo... didn't download any guide updates.
It pushed up your viewing data information, and check to see if you where authorized for a software update (few other things).

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Disconnect one of them at a time, and see which one of the HR20's is causing the problem.

It is possible that it could be something with the Caller-ID on the units, as the HR20's are "listening" to the phone line to get the Caller-ID info
I will try this tonight. Thanks.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Another Cincinnati person I see. Way OT, but I was just curious how your CBS HD was? Mine is by far the worst of the 4 HD locals. It's pixelated during motion and it's very annoying. ABC and Fox look wonderful and NBC is good, but not as crisp and clear as ABC and Fox. Are you experiencing the same thing?

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtnagel said:
Another Cincinnati person I see. Way OT, but I was just curious how your CBS HD was? Mine is by far the worst of the 4 HD locals. It's pixelated during motion and it's very annoying. ABC and Fox look wonderful and NBC is good, but not as crisp and clear as ABC and Fox. Are you experiencing the same thing?
CBS has been a big problem for me too, but last night I didn't notice it. Maybe it has been fixed.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
vsmith30 said:
CBS has been a big problem for me too, but last night I didn't notice it. Maybe it has been fixed.
I don't know that I watched any CBS since thankfully the Bengals were in HD on Fox for the 2nd week in a row, but I'm pretty sure it was on an HD football game at some point and it had the problem. I think the only other thing we watch in HD on CBS is Jericho and I know it's been there the last couple weeks.

Please let me know if you see it again at all and I'll do the same. I've sent a message to the local CBS station, so we'll see if I get a response. And if you want to, it would be good to have multiple people complaining about it. I may give them a call too.

·
Legend
176 Posts
vsmith30 said:
I have had a problem with my telephone for the past two mornings. Incoming callers will hear one ring and then are disconnected. My phone rings once then stops. I can make out-going calls. I have two HR20's and if I reset them both, the phone starts working normally again. Any ideas what the problem might be or how I can fix it? Thanks for any suggestions.
If you have DSL make sure you have the filters on the line. I had the same problem until I put the filters between the wall and the HR20.

·
Godfather
310 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Not needed, as it doesn't do the same thing.

The HR20 is constantly getting the guide updates.

That forced called on the TiVo... didn't download any guide updates.
It pushed up your viewing data information, and check to see if you where authorized for a software update (few other things).
Thanks Earl. Sorry if I almost hijacked the thread.

·
Legend
139 Posts
vsmith30 said:
You have what's called a "50-volt short".

The two pairs of phone wires connected to the jack- the 'tip' and 'ring' are wrapped in a half-loop around the green and red terminals, respectively. One of the wires- most likely the ring, or red terminal, is looped back so that it comes close to touching itself, or the tip- the green terminal. Everything is working fine when the phone is off-hook or on-hook during which only < 13vdc or < 25vdc is being sent out from the NID to each phone jack. When the phone rings, as much is 100vdc is sent front the NID. This extra voltage is able to jump the small gap that should normally be wider, shorts out the connection and the phone goes dead.

Unhook each of the phone lines from the HR20 and check the jacks- make sure the "teeth" in the jack aligned straight and not touching. Check behind the wall plate and make sure the "ring" is not near the "tip" either.

The nice thing about troubleshooting phone short issues is that you can just remove each jumper at the jack until the problem goes away and you'll find the problem in no time.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Had my Hr-20 installed this morning, thought all was O.K. however, just discovered that I have no dial tone on my phones in the house and no one can call in to the house. So, I just disconnected the phone line between the Hr-20 and the wall jack, and presto I have a dial tone again on the phones. I then reconnect the Hr-20 back to the phone jack and once again immediately lose dial tone thru out the house. ANy ideas as to what is going on? Should I do RBR? thanks in advance for any help :(

·
Legend
107 Posts
racemanva said:
Had my Hr-20 installed this morning, thought all was O.K. however, just discovered that I have no dial tone on my phones in the house and no one can call in to the house. So, I just disconnected the phone line between the Hr-20 and the wall jack, and presto I have a dial tone again on the phones. I then reconnect the Hr-20 back to the phone jack and once again immediately lose dial tone thru out the house. ANy ideas as to what is going on? Should I do RBR? thanks in advance for any help :(
Make sure you are not plugging it in to the ethernet port. I did, and got the same result.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
SFS97: You da man! That was it, installer plugged the damn phone line into the ethernet jack. Now I can sleep well tonite, appreciate the help, got to love this forum! :D

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

I thought I read in another post that it was not necessary to have the phone line connected to the HR20. Did I mis-read this?
Thank you,
Tony

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
tonyportale said:
I thought I read in another post that it was not necessary to have the phone line connected to the HR20. Did I mis-read this?
Thank you,
Tony
You only need it for PPV and Caller ID, otherwise it isn't needed.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
My first thought was just to unplug the phone(since I had read the that also) however, was concerned that D* was still trying to push updates to the box since it had only been a few hours after initial activation. At any rate, the fast answer provided by members of this forum was greatly appreciated. :D

·
Mentor
34 Posts
bpayne said:
You have what's called a "50-volt short".

The two pairs of phone wires connected to the jack- the 'tip' and 'ring' are wrapped in a half-loop around the green and red terminals, respectively. One of the wires- most likely the ring, or red terminal, is looped back so that it comes close to touching itself, or the tip- the green terminal. Everything is working fine when the phone is off-hook or on-hook during which only < 13vdc or < 25vdc is being sent out from the NID to each phone jack. When the phone rings, as much is 100vdc is sent front the NID. This extra voltage is able to jump the small gap that should normally be wider, shorts out the connection and the phone goes dead.

Unhook each of the phone lines from the HR20 and check the jacks- make sure the "teeth" in the jack aligned straight and not touching. Check behind the wall plate and make sure the "ring" is not near the "tip" either.

The nice thing about troubleshooting phone short issues is that you can just remove each jumper at the jack until the problem goes away and you'll find the problem in no time.
I've been in telecomm for 25 years and never heard of that one. Moisture in the jack or modular plug can cause a similiar symptom but usually you hear intermittant static over a conversation and the line will short out when it rings. By the way, ring voltage is AC not DC. Talk voltage is DC.

·
Mentor
35 Posts
I'm having a different phone connection issue. Did a search of the forum, but didn't find anything.

I can't order PPV. I ran a system test and the phone call failed. I tested the line with a telephone right at the box and it is fine.

Is it the HR20? I did a RDR and no change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.