DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cool Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had tabled a AT9 install for a bit, due to ignorant installers** in my area and to see if the "slimline" dish was actually going to happen - since it has. This is a good time to order a "slimline" dish and cleanup some of my previous installation. Since I am ordering a bunch of stuff from Solid Signal, I might as well order more stuff :)

I would like to re-termiate the F connectors and I am wondering what products everyone else has used?, why? and so on ...

(** - I have a CommDeck mounting system and installer dude was very very nervous on mounting to it, wanted me to sign a release form b/c he would have to lag screw the mounting through the roof and susequently left with out installing the AT9 dish because I was not about to let him not use the mounts I have. One day I'll have enough posts to post images)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,866 Posts
timoth said:
I would like to re-termiate the F connectors and I am wondering what products everyone else has used?, why? and so on ...
Before you tear what the installers did apart, make sure what you're doing is going to be better. It is imperative that you have the connectors that match the cable that is used. The OD of the cable can vary as much as 1/16" and the wrong size connector will fail. Crimp type connectors were based on the ID which was essentially the same from one cable to the next.

I like the Perma-Seal type connectors. Most of the available connectors have all the right parts, but they just aren't designed to hold on. Look for connectors that can support upwards of a 40 pound pull. I'm not sold on using exotic materials due to possible issues with dissimilar metals.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
You certainly want to use the proper compression connector for the specific type of RG6 that you have. Crimp on and screw on connectors are only setting you up for future failure. Home Depot and Lowe's both sell acceptable compression connectors and tools.

Carl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.