DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I took the hdtvfan0001 challenge but sorta in reverse. My infrastructure is very solid (as described in the "appendix" below so) I tried to force a 771 or lockup by unplugging every receiver except 1, and turned it into a single tuner receiver, as well. Actually did this twice, once with a unit fairly close to the switches, but had locked up once and once with the HR20 the longest distance from the switches.

In this test, 1 tuner was supplying power to a 6x8, then thru a power pass splitter, onward to the AT/9. The only problems were the units thinking they still had 2 tuners until I rebooted them. Switching channels was very slow, but always worked without 771s appearing, even briefly. And I did confuse the software into thinking it needed to prompt me that it needed another tuner cuz I was changing channels so quickly. (A minor bug with 0XFA, I'm thinking.) I'm guessing that while it was trying to settle on a channel, I was already moving on and that confused the units.

Now this test is by no means definitive. I really would have liked to put another couple hundred feet of cable on the end, some splices, and maybe even an intentionally bad connector, but I didn't have time today. Nor could I let it run for a long time doing normal things other than just changing channels. I needed the other receivers doing their normal recording and receiving thing for the rest of the family, dontcha know. :)

What I did prove, at least to my satisfaction, is that 1 tuner, all by itself, can drive an AT/9 a very long way thru a switch and power pass splitters, if the cables are good and well made. IIRC the total run was about 170' or so on the longer distance unit.

FYI, weather is clear to the south right now and signal strengths are good. I wasn't able to adjust the weather for today's test. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Appendix:
I have one AT/9 supplying signal to 16 outputs by way of two D* supplied switches hooked in parallel using a power pass splitter for each of the 4 feed lines from the dish.

I pulled most of the wire myself last year, have no splices, used D* supplied coax, and everything is grounded at the right points. The local installation supervisor tends to send his newbies on my installations so they can see how to wire the right way. And ask questions if they need to. ;)

When the installer aligned the AT9, he achieved very good signal strengths on all my expected transponders. (Some spotbeams for other DMAs even come up with barely usable strengths on clear days.) Sure feels like I have far less rainfade than with the 3lnb dish.
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top