DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a brief note to say thanks to all of the people who posted their knowledge, and experience with the HR 20.

I almost feel guilty for the success I have had (albeit short) thus far.

I had the had a new HR20-700 installed by a D* sub today. He replaced my phase III dish with one of the new slim line models.

I have been a D* customer for probably 8 years, and have had numerous Tivos (HR 10-250, Philips series one (repaired bad hard drive using instant cake, etc.) and and a DVR 40. After listening to some of the horror stories on this board, I was extremly nervous about upgrading to the new DVR. The Tivo interface has been so easy for the family to deal with. However I am very tired of only getting one or two local HD feeds (towers are a minimum of 60 miles away from me). I was turned down for waivers at least 3 times that I can recall.

Thanks to this forum, my HR 20 is up and running with no problems thus far. Networking via Windows Media Player 11, HDMI, Active console, caller ID, etc.. worked right out of the box (after the initial software download any way).

This website was a great help, not only in what functionality I might expect, setup tips, and even negotiating a sweet deal from D*. I called them about two hours after being put on the "priority waiting list" to tell them I received a call to schedule the install. Afterwards, I went to my account online and immediately rescheduled the install for an earlier time.

Again for some of you, I apologize in advance for not bashing the installer, D*, God, or for beginning the shift away from the Tivo interface.:D

As for all of the helpful tips, and hard work and efforts by Earl & many, many others...THANKS!
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
685 Posts
I agree that this website is amazingly informative on sat dish products but don't get too confidant about your hr20 working right. Mine worked fine for 2 weeks and then this latest software trashed it. After a power outage erased several bowl games I just recorded I gave up and a replacement is coming. I just want another hr10 for now.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,332 Posts
capnkt said:
Just a brief note to say thanks to all of the people who posted their knowledge, and experience with the HR 20.

I almost feel guilty for the success I have had (albeit short) thus far.

I had the had a new HR20-700 installed by a D* sub today. He replaced my phase III dish with one of the new slim line models.

I have been a D* customer for probably 8 years, and have had numerous Tivos (HR 10-250, Philips series one (repaired bad hard drive using instant cake, etc.) and and a DVR 40. After listening to some of the horror stories on this board, I was extremly nervous about upgrading to the new DVR. The Tivo interface has been so easy for the family to deal with. However I am very tired of only getting one or two local HD feeds (towers are a minimum of 60 miles away from me). I was turned down for waivers at least 3 times that I can recall.

Thanks to this forum, my HR 20 is up and running with no problems thus far. Networking via Windows Media Player 11, HDMI, Active console, caller ID, etc.. worked right out of the box (after the initial software download any way).

This website was a great help, not only in what functionality I might expect, setup tips, and even negotiating a sweet deal from D*. I called them about two hours after being put on the "priority waiting list" to tell them I received a call to schedule the install. Afterwards, I went to my account online and immediately rescheduled the install for an earlier time.

Again for some of you, I apologize in advance for not bashing the installer, D*, God, or for beginning the shift away from the Tivo interface.:D

As for all of the helpful tips, and hard work and efforts by Earl & many, many others...THANKS!
Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

And you are welcome. I hope your experience with the HR20 is always fantastic.

Cheers,
Tom
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
I think the best way to thank the forum members is to learn more, and pass that learning onto newer members. Each one of us, Earl included, started out knowing nothing and learned a lot from people who came before.

So welcome to the forum! I hope you'll stay a while!
 

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
Joined
·
266 Posts
capnkt said:
I almost feel guilty for the success I have had (albeit short) thus far.
!
Wishing you the best of luck. Mine performed well also for three days and died. Hopefully yours won't bite the dust.
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
2,533 Posts
If there's anything to learn for a place like this is that there are so many different experiences. My HR20 works like a charm. One major format, though I probably could have worked around it, and a few RBR's just to see what would happen. Sure, you get a few Repeat shows being recorded under a "First Run" setting. A couple "Delete Now"s here and there but all in all, the HD picture, the networking abilities which have only just begun being enabled... it's great! While I do hope your experience is nothing but enjoyment and I hope that none of this bad stuff you read here happens to you, it seems that it's the bad stuff that helps this forum grow. The experiences of the people here working and finding and bringing all their knowledge to this place for us to use and grow upon, it's amazing. This place is probably the best Tech Support place and it just gets better. In a way, I'm glad things keep breaking, just to see how everyone pools together to get things fixed.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
This forum is great! I have learned more in 2 days than in 2 years. Thanks to everyones posts... HOWEVER

The 50/50 response regarding the bad and good from everyone is unsettling. I think I will wait a few more months before I get on the HR20 bandwagon.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
375 Posts
2BlueHeelers said:
This forum is great! I have learned more in 2 days than in 2 years. Thanks to everyones posts... HOWEVER

The 50/50 response regarding the bad and good from everyone is unsettling. I think I will wait a few more months before I get on the HR20 bandwagon.
Welcome 2BlueHeelers yes if you want all the Info on the HR20 Good, bad or otherwise this is the place to come.
I also have learned alot from this forum and check it daily It is good to see all sides of the story.;)
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
Joined
·
4,107 Posts
kikkenit2 said:
I agree that this website is amazingly informative on sat dish products but don't get too confidant about your hr20 working right. Mine worked fine for 2 weeks and then this latest software trashed it. After a power outage erased several bowl games I just recorded I gave up and a replacement is coming. I just want another hr10 for now.
Please use a good UPS with good surge supression.
+ If the power flickers your HR20 should not crash.
+ If the power dips or browns for a second, you should float right through it.
+ If you are at home and the power goes out, you have a few minutes to shut down & turn off the recordings.

I wonder how many times users come home to find partial recordings, crashes, lockups, etc. that were actually due to not having a UPS.

Good UPS's are cheap ($60-$90). When you first pick up a good UPS you will notice that they weigh more than a bowling ball. The HR20 power supply is not very big and has no battery backup.

See the HR20 Installation Tips and UNOFFICIAL HR20 Tips and Tricks for more information on UPS and dozens of other tips & tricks.

- Craig
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
156 Posts
capnkt said:
Thanks to this forum, my HR 20 is up and running with no problems thus far. Networking via Windows Media Player 11, HDMI, Active console, caller ID, etc.. worked right out of the box (after the initial software download any way).
Have you seen a good set of instructions for setting up the HR20 with WMP11? I haven't been able to get mine to talk to each other yet.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
685 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Please use a good UPS with good surge supression.

Thanks Craig. I agree and learned the hard way about a UPS. I'm definitely getting one. My power very seldom goes out but it did Sunday morning while I was recording 6 NFL games in HD. What is frustrating is my HR10 and both of my VIP622's have NEVER erased a recording on their own. And they don't lock up like the HR20. I did the full format and RBR a few times.

I just received a refurbished replacement today and so far so good. The HR20 when working properly does seem to have a brighter, more colorful HD playback than my other 3 dvr's. In fact I just ordered another HR20 and soon i'll have 8 coaxial cables running to my living room. If my landlord ever finds out! Once they perfect the HR20 the only thing I miss that my other boxes have is the 30 second skip button. Slip sucks!

What did I do wrong with that quote?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,332 Posts
Looks like the "[" "/" QUOTE "]" that closes the quote got lost somewhere.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top