DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I figured the anticipation has been building up for quite some time for Dish to finally release new receivers. The new line of receivers will be the Hopper Plus, the Joey 4, the wireless Joey 4, and a Wireless Access Point 2. I have a ton of information on how everything works together, but I'll just post some key points. I'm sure you guys have a ton of questions, so I'll think of the top 3 and post them at the bottom. If you have any additional questons, ask away and I'll try to answer them.

Hopper Plus Highlights:
  • New Home Screen
  • Improved Google Assistant
  • 6,000 Google Playstore Apps
  • Chromecast Built In
  • Google Stadia Gaming
  • Supports Dolby Atmos
  • Supports HDMI 2.1 for 4k HDR Content
  • 16GB of Onboard Storage For Google Apps

Joey 4 / Wireless Joey 4 Highlights:
  • New Home Screen
  • Improved Google Assistant
  • 6,000 Google Playstore Apps
  • Chromecast Built In
  • Google Stadia Gaming

What Receivers is This For?
- This is only going to be available for Hopper 3 customers. You will also need to be internet connected, and have a download speed of 25mbps or higher to be eligible.

How Will It All Connect?
- The Hopper Plus will use a USB-C cable that comes out from the Hopper 3 into the Hopper Plus. The HDMI cable will also go into the back of the Hopper Plus instead of the Hopper 3. The Joey 4's will connect with MoCA, and the wireless Joey 4's will connect with the new Wireless Access Point 2 via an ethernet from the Hopper 3.

When is Going To Be Released?!?!?!
- In a very select few markets it will be released nationwide on February 10th, 2022. If your not in that select market, it will be released to you sometime at the start of summer 2022.

UPDATE: MARCH 6TH 2022
I have an update. This is pulled directly from a CS rep in our department.
We already have some employees that have called in and set up their installs. Go ahead and call in and see if you are in one of the areas where we are currently able to install this product. These are ZIP code restricted, so that will be the best way to verify if you are eligible.
I wish everyone luck on getting one! Let me know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
53,883 Posts
For clarity ... is the Hopper Plus required to use a Joey 4 or can one have a Joey 4 without the Plus?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For clarity ... is the Hopper Plus required to use a Joey 4 or can one have a Joey 4 without the Plus?
I'm not 100% sure on that bud. I would think you would have to have a Hopper Plus, but how they are marketing it seems as if you can have a Joey 4 without a Hopper Plus.

I'm in the select market that they are releasing it in which will give me a chance to test drive them before they are released so I'll definitely let you know.

·
Registered
153 Posts
- In a very select few markets it will be released nationwide on February 10th, 2022.
Wow, this is awkwardly phrased. That is literally not what "nationwide" means.
If your not in that select market...
I'm in the select market...
So, only one market then? (The original statement is plural.) Or are more early test markets coming before the summer release, but no dates have been announced for those additional markets yet?

On another site, it was posted that there are plans to eventually expand the compatibility of this new system to include the Hopper With Sling (Hopper 2). That announcement also specifically mentioned that this will not work with the original Hopper 2000. However, no other Hopper models (Hopper Duo or Wally) were mentioned one way or another.

So, while the initial release will only be for the Hopper 3, with Hopper 2 support coming at a later date, are there any plans to make this (Hopper Plus) compatible with Hopper Duo and/or Wally in the future?

·
Registered
153 Posts
More info now available directly from Dish's site...
Android TV with DISH | MyDISH

...specifically: Install Apps from Google Play Store | MyDISH
"Google Play Store access expands the available entertainment options. Install apps like HBO Max or Discovery Plus right to your Hopper when the Hopper Plus or Joey 4 is connected."

This seems to imply that one or the other can be used independently. I would assume that the Google Play apps would only be available at the Joey location if a Hopper Plus is not connected, though.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,436 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,990 Posts
OK, so for the BIG question. What are the monthly fees for the Hopper Plus and what are the upgrade fees for this new equipment?

Already paying $120 per month for AT200, a Hopper3 and a Joey 3.0. I'm looking to reduce my bill, not increase it,

We do very little streaming, so for right now I'll pass.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,436 Posts
OK, so for the BIG question. What are the monthly fees for the Hopper Plus and what are the upgrade fees for this new equipment?
Most devices that don't directly connect a TV don't incur an additional monthly fee. I would expect the Hopper Plus to be a one-time purchase as it connects only to a Hopper.

The Joey 4 would logically demand a monthly TV fee like any other Joey.

·
Registered
85 Posts
3-4-2022 at 1:53 PM - PST

@DISH TECH 4

OK - So, our current install is a little complex. (SEE HIC Thread for FULL details.)

Suffice to say, we have a Hopper3 and four Wireless Joeys. Our install makes use of the Linksys Velop MESH Network for DISH Network Internet Connectivity of ALL DISH Equipment. There is one MESH Node per Wireless Joey. EACH Wireless Joey connects by Ethernet to a MESH Node. (This allows us to ELIMINATE the existing WAP equipment. (As we experienced HUGE pixelation problems throughout the house WITH the WAP units. We had two of them to 'talk' to each Wireless Joey.)) By eliminating the WAPs and directly connecting via Ethernet to a MESH Node, ALL pixelations CEASED. Connectivity of the Joeys became FULLY stabilized.

In the meantime, (because we're on U-Verse), the Hopper3 KEPT LOSING Network Connectivity and ASSIGNED ITSELF an Internal Non-Routable IP Address of "169.x.y.z". We had to FINALLY obtain and install an HIC Device at the Hopper3. After connecting the HIC AND Disabling 'Bridge Mode', (turned Bridged Mode OFF), the Hopper3 FULLY stabilized connectivity.

We've had completely stable, (almost perfect), service on all equipment since going MESH and installing the HIC.

NOW, IF we upgrade to the Hopper Plus and replace the Wireless Joeys with Wireless Joey 4 boxes; CAN we continue bypassing/eliminating the WAPs/WAP 2s by connecting each Wireless Joey 4 by Ethernet to a MESH Node?

Our U-Verse Gateway is an ARRIS NVG-599, (electronically identical to the 5268AC)
, and our Broadband Speed is 50Mb. NOW, with the MESH Network, ALL connected equipment gets FULL Broadband Speed of 50Mb. We have been informed by AT&T that "At some point, we are planning to retrofit your area with Fiber To The Home." - ATT Fiber, which WILL be 1Gb. We plan to upgrade to Fiber once it hits our area; cost will be the same as we pay now for the 50Mb, $60/Mo.

[EDIT:]
Also, we've been made aware, (since Feb 24, 2021, our Install Date), that with our current setup that the Sling functions of the Hopper3 become moot and inoperable via the Wireless Joeys. We've resolved that issue by going with a ROKU Ultra 4K Device, and have installed therein ALL our Streaming Apps. A Netgear GS-108, Gigabit Switch has been installed between the MESH Node and the ROKU, the Wireless Joey, and the TV and Blu-Ray Player. All this equipment connects to the Switch, and the Switch connects to the MESH Node. ALL is functioning normally, and we have NO buffering on the ROKU.

[EDIT 2:] We CANNOT use the COAX in our home as the COAX going through the walls of our home has AT LEAST ONE 90-Degree Bend Connector 'SOMEWHERE' in the walls. This caused EXTREME HAVOC on the U-Verse TV Boxes, (both Wired and Wireless), and we had EXTREME and RANDOM Pixelations on all Boxes. Hence our switching to DISH and going with the Wireless Boxes. (The last U-Verse Tech to inspect our home, (due to the problems we had that were ongoing), stated that what his equipment showed was that this 90-Bend Connector was the issue.) In an effort to ELIMINATE that problem from EVER occurring with the DISH Network Boxes, I INSISTED on going with the Wireless Joeys.

The DISH Network Home Run RG-6 Cable was installed new by the DISH Technician. It goes from the Dish through the attic and into the 'reclaimed space' - Attic Office area where the Hopper3 resides. So, we know for fact that this RG-6 Cable is 'perfect'.

TimeLord04
SF East Bay DISH Customer
Western Arc

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not sure on the price yet guys. When I hear about it I'll let you guys know.
3-4-2022 at 7:16 PM - PST

@DISH TECH 4

Any thoughts as to my Post at 1:53 PM - PST? I'm hoping that we will be able to utilize the Wireless Joey 4 boxes in the same manner as the current Wireless Joeys. Please, at your leisure, read through my last Post here, and ponder, and let me know what you think about our High Tech Install Solution. Right now, with the HIC, AND MESH Network, everything IS working as it should. NO pixelations, (after eliminating the WAPs), and everything is as close to 'perfect' as an Install can be.

IF we can keep the Install the same, but Upgrade to the Wireless Joey 4 boxes, (four of them), and Install the Hopper Plus to the Hopper3, it would be very beneficial when we decide to upgrade our TVs to 4K.

TimeLord04
Western Arc

·
Registered
153 Posts
The "or" suggests to me that the Joey 4 could be used in lieu of a Hopper Plus.
From my first link:
Important Things to Know
  • Hopper Plus must be paired with Joey 4 for a whole-home experience
I would read that as saying both would only be required if you want a whole-home experience. Otherwise, you could use either one or the other. However, with only the Hopper Plus, you would only get the new features at the Hopper location, while with only a new Joey 4, only that Joey location would get the new features.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3-4-2022 at 7:16 PM - PST

@DISH TECH 4

Any thoughts as to my Post at 1:53 PM - PST? I'm hoping that we will be able to utilize the Wireless Joey 4 boxes in the same manner as the current Wireless Joeys. Please, at your leisure, read through my last Post here, and ponder, and let me know what you think about our High Tech Install Solution. Right now, with the HIC, AND MESH Network, everything IS working as it should. NO pixelations, (after eliminating the WAPs), and everything is as close to 'perfect' as an Install can be.

IF we can keep the Install the same, but Upgrade to the Wireless Joey 4 boxes, (four of them), and Install the Hopper Plus to the Hopper3, it would be very beneficial when we decide to upgrade our TVs to 4K.

TimeLord04
Western Arc
That's something I can't answer. I have no idea how the Joey 4 system will work, because I don't have any experience with it. When it gets released you'll probably have your answer. Sure, you can connect Joey's to your Hopper with your internet router, or even with an ethernet cable, but I don't know if any of that is going to change with the Joey 4's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's something I can't answer. I have no idea how the Joey 4 system will work, because I don't have any experience with it. When it gets released you'll probably have your answer. Sure, you can connect Joey's to your Hopper with your internet router, or even with an ethernet cable, but I don't know if any of that is going to change with the Joey 4's.
3-4-2022 at 9:29 PM - PST

@DISH TECH 4

Thanks for that. :) I hope you'll get a chance to try an Install like ours and see if the new Wireless Joey 4 boxes can possibly do what our current setup is doing. We just CANNOT make use of the home's COAX. :( AND, where the Family Room Wireless Joey is, there's NO COAX cable, anyway, so we'd HAVE to have a Wireless Joey there, no matter what.

In addition to all the TV equipment and ROKU device, we have 3 Vonage Residential Devices, and two more Netgear GS-108 Gigabit Switches, all in the Attic/Office. The Vonage Devices connect one of the Switches, that Switch 'daisy chains' to the next Switch which connects to the MESH Node Router. The MESH Node Router connects to the U-Verse Gateway.

The MESH Network Router is a Tri-Band AC-2200, and the 'Child' Nodes, (again, 4 of them), are AC-1300 models. We bought the 3-Pack, (AC-2200 and two AC-1300 Nodes), from DISH, and after trying things out, ended up buying two more AC-1300 Nodes to complete the Install and completely eliminate the WAPs.

All-In-All, I think our Install is now a 'Premiere' Install for DISH Equipment as well as for our computers, iPhones, and mom's iPad. Everything just works, now. I DON'T want to change something and have all this break.

TimeLord04

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an update. This is pulled directly from a CS rep in our department.
We already have some employees that have called in and set up their installs. Go ahead and call in and see if you are in one of the areas where we are currently able to install this product. These are ZIP code restricted, so that will be the best way to verify if you are eligible.
I wish everyone luck on getting one! Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you could create visually appealing network map of all your locations, equipment and wiring/RF paths, that would be great addition to the forum :)
3-7-2022 at 1:02 PM - PST

@P Smith @DISH TECH 4

OK guys, I gave this my best shot. I HATE drawing out schematics, as my handwriting SUCKS! Anyway, attached
is the FULL Schematic Drawing of our home's DISH Network Setup with Linksys MESH Network AND Wireless Joeys.
(As well as one of our home's Vonage Residential Devices that hooks BOTH to the H3 Phone Jack, (for Caller ID to
ALL TVs), and to the wall jack to 'Back-feed' through the home's RJ-11 Wiring to connect ALL the home's cordless
phones and answering machine.)

I hope this helps everyone understand what we are dealing with.

7:22 PM - PST: [EDIT:] Our home is two story, and 3,436 Sq. Ft. It is 4 Bedroom, and 3 Bathroom. Three bedrooms
are upstairs and one bedroom is downstairs. Based on the raw Square Footage, and with the 5 MESH Nodes throughout
the house, I KNOW we are 'technically' "Over Provisioned" on MESH coverage. HOWEVER; we didn't do this just to get
MESH for computers, cell phones and tablets, this was to BYPASS our DECREPIT RG-6 Cabling in the walls of the house.
(Again, due to '90 Degree Bends' on AT LEAST one cable upstairs, (buried in the walls), and 'maybe more' throughout the
house. These '90 Degree Bends' wreaked HAVOC across ALL U--Verse Set Top Boxes! We FINALLY gave up on U-Verse
TV, (AND DON'T get me started on COMCAST), so, we switched to DISH Network as of February 24, 2021.)

Even though the MESH Wireless is 'Over Provisioned', we have no interference nor issues with WiFi throughout the home.
All the computers, (I have three, dad has two, ALL WiFi), and the iPhones and mom's Tablet seem to keep perfectly stable
connectivity AND at Maximum Strength Connection. (I've also turned OFF ALL extraneous WiFi noise throughout the home.
The Smart TVs, the two Blu-Ray players, the ROKU Ultra 4K, and pretty much ANYTHING Non-Computer has had their WiFi
turned off and is now Wired by Cat-5 to the MESH Nodes.)

All my computers are in the Attic/Office, at one end of the upstairs. Dad's two computers are in the Master Bedroom, on
the other side of the house, upstairs. Mom's Tablet and iPhone are usually with her, downstairs in the Family Room. Dad
keeps his iPhone on him at all times of the day, and my iPhone is 'Emergency Use' only. We can move all about the house,
and NOT have ANY signal loss of WiFi. As to being MESH, I'm told that this 'extends' the WiFi coverage a good distance
out the front of the home and the back of the home.

Our Wireless Joeys NEVER stutter, or drop out, (UNLIKE U-Verse TV), and our ROKU Ultra 4K device NEVER buffers. The
Hopper3 sits all by itself in the Attic/Office pretty much unused as a 'live' TV source. The monitor attached to it is just for
diagnostic purposes of the H3.

This, again, all just works perfectly now. I was hoping that DISH Tech 4 would have had knowledge as to whether the new
Wireless Joey 4 boxes could be hooked up just like the existing Wireless Joeys. Maybe after looking at the Diagram, he
can provide a better answer. I would think that they 'should' connect up just like the existing Wireless boxes.

TimeLord04

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I found this posted by DishSubLA on another site, and I thought it was interesting:
"Also, this device can help retain Dish subscribers who also stream content from other providers because it all happens through the Dish experience and makes it easier to integrate the Dish subscription with other apps and streaming services and creates a sense that Dish is useful and some subscribers may fell less likely to cancel the Dish subscription. I would think the Sling TV app could be downloaded as well, and if subscribers decide that Dish satellite is too expensive and they need to cancel, the Hopper Plus allows Dish to offer its own Sling TV as an vMVPD solution keeping the money with Charlie."

This is of course assuming that the subscriber is using a purchased Hopper 3, or that Dish would allow a subscriber to continue using a leased Hopper 3 as long as they subscribe to Sling TV. This is also assuming that a Hopper Plus would provide any functionality at all on a Hopper 3 that is not activated for Dish service. Otherwise, I don't see how this "solution" would actually work. It does seem like a good idea, though, if it actually works that way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found this posted by DishSubLA on another site, and I thought it was interesting:
"Also, this device can help retain Dish subscribers who also stream content from other providers because it all happens through the Dish experience and makes it easier to integrate the Dish subscription with other apps and streaming services and creates a sense that Dish is useful and some subscribers may fell less likely to cancel the Dish subscription. I would think the Sling TV app could be downloaded as well, and if subscribers decide that Dish satellite is too expensive and they need to cancel, the Hopper Plus allows Dish to offer its own Sling TV as an vMVPD solution keeping the money with Charlie."

This is of course assuming that the subscriber is using a purchased Hopper 3, or that Dish would allow a subscriber to continue using a leased Hopper 3 as long as they subscribe to Sling TV. This is also assuming that a Hopper Plus would provide any functionality at all on a Hopper 3 that is not activated for Dish service. Otherwise, I don't see how this "solution" would actually work. It does seem like a good idea, though, if it actually works that way.
That is a pretty good idea, I like it. I'm not sure how Dish feels about it though haha

·
Registered
153 Posts
So according to the other thread (on the other site) the Hopper Plus and the new Joeys are now available in the Seattle market. I thought I should pass that info along, just in case anyone wants to test these and report back here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts