DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
- In a very select few markets it will be released nationwide on February 10th, 2022.
Wow, this is awkwardly phrased. That is literally not what "nationwide" means.
If your not in that select market...
I'm in the select market...
So, only one market then? (The original statement is plural.) Or are more early test markets coming before the summer release, but no dates have been announced for those additional markets yet?

On another site, it was posted that there are plans to eventually expand the compatibility of this new system to include the Hopper With Sling (Hopper 2). That announcement also specifically mentioned that this will not work with the original Hopper 2000. However, no other Hopper models (Hopper Duo or Wally) were mentioned one way or another.

So, while the initial release will only be for the Hopper 3, with Hopper 2 support coming at a later date, are there any plans to make this (Hopper Plus) compatible with Hopper Duo and/or Wally in the future?

· Registered
334 Posts
More info now available directly from Dish's site...
Android TV with DISH | MyDISH

For clarity ... is the Hopper Plus required to use a Joey 4 or can one have a Joey 4 without the Plus?
...specifically: Install Apps from Google Play Store | MyDISH
"Google Play Store access expands the available entertainment options. Install apps like HBO Max or Discovery Plus right to your Hopper when the Hopper Plus or Joey 4 is connected."

This seems to imply that one or the other can be used independently. I would assume that the Google Play apps would only be available at the Joey location if a Hopper Plus is not connected, though.

· Registered
334 Posts
The "or" suggests to me that the Joey 4 could be used in lieu of a Hopper Plus.
From my first link:
Important Things to Know
  • Hopper Plus must be paired with Joey 4 for a whole-home experience
I would read that as saying both would only be required if you want a whole-home experience. Otherwise, you could use either one or the other. However, with only the Hopper Plus, you would only get the new features at the Hopper location, while with only a new Joey 4, only that Joey location would get the new features.

· Registered
334 Posts
I found this posted by DishSubLA on another site, and I thought it was interesting:
"Also, this device can help retain Dish subscribers who also stream content from other providers because it all happens through the Dish experience and makes it easier to integrate the Dish subscription with other apps and streaming services and creates a sense that Dish is useful and some subscribers may fell less likely to cancel the Dish subscription. I would think the Sling TV app could be downloaded as well, and if subscribers decide that Dish satellite is too expensive and they need to cancel, the Hopper Plus allows Dish to offer its own Sling TV as an vMVPD solution keeping the money with Charlie."

This is of course assuming that the subscriber is using a purchased Hopper 3, or that Dish would allow a subscriber to continue using a leased Hopper 3 as long as they subscribe to Sling TV. This is also assuming that a Hopper Plus would provide any functionality at all on a Hopper 3 that is not activated for Dish service. Otherwise, I don't see how this "solution" would actually work. It does seem like a good idea, though, if it actually works that way.

· Registered
334 Posts
So according to the other thread (on the other site) the Hopper Plus and the new Joeys are now available in the Seattle market. I thought I should pass that info along, just in case anyone wants to test these and report back here.

· Registered
334 Posts
They are coming in July.
...or apparently already available in the following markets:
For clarity, it's available in Atlanta, Denver, LA, Phoenix, Sacramento, and Salt Lake DMAs.
Yet we've only heard about it being in the Seattle DMA up to your post.
Unless that was only a limited release back in April, and Dish has already pulled them again until the July nationwide release?

· Registered
334 Posts
4K HDR content does not display on the new Joeys. An error message comes on saying it can't display 4k content. Customer support has little to no information and said the info they were given says the new Joeys don't support 4k and the have no fix. Twitter CS said they sent some reports to Tech Ops but it will be months before any fixes are included in a software update.
When you get the error message, have you tried resetting the Joey? Unplug it from the power outlet for about a minute, then plug it back in. After it reboots, 4K HDR should work just fine. If this workaround does not work for you, let us know, so we may further assist you with getting this solved. Thank you!

· Registered
334 Posts
4K HDR content does not display on the new Joeys. An error message comes on saying it can't display 4k content. Customer support has little to no information and said the info they were given says the new Joeys don't support 4k and the have no fix. Twitter CS said they sent some reports to Tech Ops but it will be months before any fixes are included in a software update.
Other attempt would be just disconnect and re-connect HDMI cable to force negotiation and settle more suitable HDMI parameters for particular content
Simplest solution I've found so far: As soon as the error message pops up, just press the Guide button. 4K HDR content will display after that.

· Registered
334 Posts
Seems to me bugs in dish FW created by total absence of in-house/outdoor QA :( ..old adagio...
In this case, it is a compatibility issue with certain models of 4K TV. You certainly can't expect Dish to have every model of TV available on the market in their in-house testing facilities to look for problems like this. That is why they rely on customer feedback to find problems like this one.

· Registered
334 Posts
And, in order to remove it, you have to factory reset your Hopper, simply hooking your HDMI cable back to the Hopper presents a message saying that the HDMI cable was removed and to plug it back into the Hopper Plus.
There is a simpler way to do this. You can connect HDMI cables from both the Hopper Plus and your Hopper to the TV. (This will tie up two HDMI inputs on the TV.) When you want to disable the Hopper Plus, you simply need to unplug it from electrical power. Then, change inputs on your TV to the HDMI connected directly to the Hopper. After a reboot process that takes around 20 minutes, the Hopper will revert to regular Hopper mode again. This way, there is no need to constantly disconnect and connect any cables to switch from Hopper Plus mode to regular Hopper mode.

So, the smart thing to do would be to plug the Hopper Plus into a Smart electrical outlet. Then, you could use an Alexa command to turn off the power to the Hopper Plus. After waiting for the Hopper to reboot, you would then be able to use Alexa commands to control the Hopper again.

· Registered
334 Posts
Since Dish has released the new Joey 4's, I doubt that they are working on fixes for the old 4K Joeys any longer. Dish really wants people to upgrade to the newer model. Thanks for posting the workarounds for accessing 4K HDR content on the old 4K Joeys, though. This is the first time I have seen those suggestions, and I know some other people may be glad to find out about them also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts