DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
have you noticed any improvement in the picture?
that was one of the reasons that I was considering this set up
The constant upscaling to HDR can be annoying depending on how your TV reacts to it. It's annoying to have the picture go dark to light but I think I read they're working on an update so it only engages with actual HDR broadcasts. Agree that streaming TNF on Prime looked fantastic, however.

·
Registered
248 Posts
4K HDR content does not display on the new Joeys. An error message comes on saying it can't display 4k content. Customer support has little to no information and said the info they were given says the new Joeys don't support 4k and the have no fix. Twitter CS said they sent some reports to Tech Ops but it will be months before any fixes are included in a software update.
Other attempt would be just disconnect and re-connect HDMI cable to force negotiation and settle more suitable HDMI parameters for particular content
Simplest solution I've found so far: As soon as the error message pops up, just press the Guide button. 4K HDR content will display after that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Seems to me bugs in dish FW created by total absence of in-house/outdoor QA :( ..old adagio...
In this case, it is a compatibility issue with certain models of 4K TV. You certainly can't expect Dish to have every model of TV available on the market in their in-house testing facilities to look for problems like this. That is why they rely on customer feedback to find problems like this one.

·
Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
I picked one of these up a couple of weeks ago. I wish I would have waited. It kills Alexa integration and no more PIP. It requires reboots nearly daily and it's very buggy. Turning on the TV yields a black screen. I have to change the channel in order to get Live TV to show on startup. There are no options to change audio settings and Dolby Atmos signals do not pass onto my Denon Atmos receiver. I can't select DTS either from the sound settings and the only option is auto. And, in order to remove it, you have to factory reset your Hopper, simply hooking your HDMI cable back to the Hopper presents a message saying that the HDMI cable was removed and to plug it back into the Hopper Plus. Seriously consider waiting until they get this thing stable and fix the items that were broken and disabled.

·
Registered
248 Posts
And, in order to remove it, you have to factory reset your Hopper, simply hooking your HDMI cable back to the Hopper presents a message saying that the HDMI cable was removed and to plug it back into the Hopper Plus.
There is a simpler way to do this. You can connect HDMI cables from both the Hopper Plus and your Hopper to the TV. (This will tie up two HDMI inputs on the TV.) When you want to disable the Hopper Plus, you simply need to unplug it from electrical power. Then, change inputs on your TV to the HDMI connected directly to the Hopper. After a reboot process that takes around 20 minutes, the Hopper will revert to regular Hopper mode again. This way, there is no need to constantly disconnect and connect any cables to switch from Hopper Plus mode to regular Hopper mode.

So, the smart thing to do would be to plug the Hopper Plus into a Smart electrical outlet. Then, you could use an Alexa command to turn off the power to the Hopper Plus. After waiting for the Hopper to reboot, you would then be able to use Alexa commands to control the Hopper again.

·
Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
There is a simpler way to do this. You can connect HDMI cables from both the Hopper Plus and your Hopper to the TV. (This will tie up two HDMI inputs on the TV.) When you want to disable the Hopper Plus, you simply need to unplug it from electrical power. Then, change inputs on your TV to the HDMI connected directly to the Hopper. After a reboot process that takes around 20 minutes, the Hopper will revert to regular Hopper mode again. This way, there is no need to constantly disconnect and connect any cables to switch from Hopper Plus mode to regular Hopper mode.

So, the smart thing to do would be to plug the Hopper Plus into a Smart electrical outlet. Then, you could use an Alexa command to turn off the power to the Hopper Plus. After waiting for the Hopper to reboot, you would then be able to use Alexa commands to control the Hopper again.
You would think all you have to do is simply unplug the plus or do what you suggested... Nope. This Hopper Plus requires software to be updated in the Hopper. Once you pull the trigger on this device, you have to do a complete reset of your Hopper to remove the Plus. I haven't done it yet because I don't have any way of backing up my DVR recordings.

EDIT: I tried your suggestion again, step by step, and voila, it worked! Thank you for this!

Reactions: psanrules

·
Registered
12 Posts
Simplest solution I've found so far: As soon as the error message pops up, just press the Guide button. 4K HDR content will display after that.
I have had a 4k Joey since December connected to a Samsung 4k TV with HDR. From the 4k Joey I can not see the 4K channels. But I can record the 4K HDR football games on the Hopper, still canot see the 4k HDR recording but if I move the recording to an external attached disk drive the 4k joey will see the recording and play it. My TV tell me it is playing the recording in 4k HDR mode. Also If I use game finder and I get the popup saying the games is start on the channel 540 HDR channel, the 4k Joey will tune to the channel and play it in 4K HDR mode. However if I change the channel the 4k Joey will not allow me to watch it anymore. Support has been useless....I heard many different reasons why and even one "level 3 support person" said a FW release would be coming but that was over 6 months ago.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Since Dish has released the new Joey 4's, I doubt that they are working on fixes for the old 4K Joeys any longer. Dish really wants people to upgrade to the newer model. Thanks for posting the workarounds for accessing 4K HDR content on the old 4K Joeys, though. This is the first time I have seen those suggestions, and I know some other people may be glad to find out about them also.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts