DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Hmmmm...I would need to know more about this as Marquee/Cubs original launch was a disaster so I'm skeptical with anything these two outfits can dream up. Would this $18 per month get you full access to Marquee no matter where you live? Could you decline this offer and still get the Cubs games on MLB EI and/or MLB TV? As a lifelong Cubs fan I would not consider this $18 per month offer if I could still get the Cubs on MLB EI and/or MLB TV. If it was the only way to get Cubs games I'd probably pay the $18 per month but just during the regular season. Content of Marquee outside of Cubs games has been pretty dismal. And last year the Cubs games were pretty dismal as well. I think it will be a hard sell for them.

Reactions: AZ.

·
Mentor
528 Posts
At first glance, it does feel/seem pricey. Comparing it to a single-team plan on MLB.tv, the two services would be similarly priced:
  • $18 x 6 months (April-September) = $108
  • MLB.tv 2021 single-team plan = $110
The key assumption is that you could purchase this streaming service in-market, which would be the true game changer.

Reactions: NashGuy

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
IF that model is approved -- for all sports --that will do away with the rsn's everyone is paying for that no longer don't watch any sports --in about 12 years :)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hmmmm...I would need to know more about this as Marquee/Cubs original launch was a disaster so I'm skeptical with anything these two outfits can dream up. Would this $18 per month get you full access to Marquee no matter where you live? Could you decline this offer and still get the Cubs games on MLB EI and/or MLB TV? As a lifelong Cubs fan I would not consider this $18 per month offer if I could still get the Cubs on MLB EI and/or MLB TV. If it was the only way to get Cubs games I'd probably pay the $18 per month but just during the regular season. Content of Marquee outside of Cubs games has been pretty dismal. And last year the Cubs games were pretty dismal as well. I think it will be a hard sell for them.
No, this wouldn't be for those who live outside of the Cubs television market area. Those fans would need to subscribe to the MLB's out-of-market package (MLB.tv on streaming or MLB Extra Innings on cable).

This proposed streaming service would just be a way to get the existing Marquee channel as a standalone streaming service inside that local area, as opposed to having it as part of a larger cable channel package.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,458 Posts
At first glance, it does feel/seem pricey. Comparing it to a single-team plan on MLB.tv, the two services would be similarly priced:
  • $18 x 6 months (April-September) = $108
  • MLB.tv 2021 single-team plan = $110
The key assumption is that you could purchase this streaming service in-market, which would be the true game changer.
Out of market vs IN MARKET that the team has rights to.
against MLB’s wishes well that may be for the courts to decide as teams have the rights to act on there own.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,458 Posts
No, this wouldn't be for those who live outside of the Cubs television market area. Those fans would need to subscribe to the MLB's out-of-market package (MLB.tv on streaming or MLB Extra Innings on cable).

This proposed streaming service would just be a way to get the existing Marquee channel as a standalone streaming service inside that local area, as opposed to having it as part of a larger cable channel package.
well that may be some thing for the courts to rule on.

WGN was able to offer games to all for an LONG time.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,504 Posts
The “superstation” loophole has, finally and thankfully, been closed.

This is about buying Marquee IN MARKET as a stand alone product. It has nothing to do with OUT OF MARKET issues, as out of market rights are shared communally.

No court rulings needed. Well settled.

·
Legend
420 Posts
The “superstation” loophole has, finally and thankfully, been closed.

This is about buying Marquee IN MARKET as a stand alone product. It has nothing to do with OUT OF MARKET issues, as out of market rights are shared communally.

No court rulings needed. Well settled.
I will be shocked if MLB allows any team to be in market streaming....Thats is a huge can of worms MLB never addresses!...Look at those crazy territorial restrictions all over, and strange borders on the high density east coast.

·
Icon
2,051 Posts
For years RSNs fought to be part of a basic cable tier. Now they are content on offering their own tier. Why, because there's a lot of money to be made. I fully expect, in the next 10 year, regional sports, like baseball, to be streaming only. RSNs will transition into that. They have gotten too expensive for cable systems. But sadly, they may be the last reason why people stick to cable/sat altogether because in a lot of areas, they aren't available on streaming services. I still think in 10 years, the TV landscape that we know will be on it's deathbed.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Back when Marquee launched they expressed their interest in making Marquee available outside of the Cubs market eventually like other teams RSN so I don't think it is out of the question that the streaming service could be offered outside of their territory too although I'm sure the Cubs game would be blacked out for everyone outside of their market territory (also like other RSN's are outside of their teams market).

I'm sure Comcast is thrilled about this idea. It was a hard sell to get Comcast to carry them to begin with.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
For years RSNs fought to be part of a basic cable tier. Now they are content on offering their own tier. Why, because there's a lot of money to be made. I fully expect, in the next 10 year, regional sports, like baseball, to be streaming only. RSNs will transition into that. They have gotten too expensive for cable systems. But sadly, they may be the last reason why people stick to cable/sat altogether because in a lot of areas, they aren't available on streaming services. I still think in 10 years, the TV landscape that we know will be on it's deathbed.
Yep. I saw a report from one of those industry analytics groups yesterday predicting that pay TV penetration in the US will drop from the current level, about 60%, to under 50% in 2026. Which sounds kinda bad but would actually mean the drop-off rate would be less steep in the next few years than it's been in the past few years. I think that's because they believe that we're getting closer and closer to a floor of households who value sports, news and locals enough that they just won't walk away from some form of channel-based pay TV, regardless of ongoing price hikes.

But if the RSNs all become available as standalone streaming packages, I'm not sure I see their prediction holding. Combine that with the fact that more and more folks are realizing that they can watch a lot of NFL games on one SVOD or another (Paramount+, Peacock, Prime Video, ESPN+) and also get local and national newscasts via various free apps and it could mean that we see an acceleration, not a moderating, of the "cord cutting" trend.

·
Super Moderator
53,724 Posts
Back when Marquee launched they expressed their interest in making Marquee available outside of the Cubs market eventually like other teams RSN so I don't think it is out of the question that the streaming service could be offered outside of their territory too although I'm sure the Cubs game would be blacked out for everyone outside of their market territory (also like other RSN's are outside of their teams market).
I can see a market for an RSN outside of their market. Fans that can only get the games on MLB could pay something to get the other content not part of the MLB coverage.

Would MLB be interested in such a channel? Buy the game and other content from MLB.

Is Marque available out of market in sports pack?

·
Super Moderator
53,724 Posts
That is what I was thinking. Kinda blows a hole in the "national" part of the rumor. Expect in market only (if MLB allows).

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Like I said the Cubs stated they would like to see Marquee expand outside of the Cubs territory in the future when it launched. I haven't heard of them saying more than that since that time. Maybe they no longer feel that way. Maybe they do. They also said they planned to carry minor league games but I don't think they ever did. I was moved out of the Cubs territory at the same time that Marquee launched so the only time I get to see anything on Marquee is via MLB Extra Innings. I just know there has been a lot of grumblings from Cubs fans in the Chicago market about the programming outside of Cubs games.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,458 Posts
I will be shocked if MLB allows any team to be in market streaming....Thats is a huge can of worms MLB never addresses!...Look at those crazy territorial restrictions all over, and strange borders on the high density east coast.
But for the MLB to do there own and cut the teams out of the local rights they own may end up in court.

·
Super Moderator
53,724 Posts
I will be shocked if MLB allows any team to be in market streaming....Thats is a huge can of worms MLB never addresses!
In 2019 the MLB owners voted to return in market streaming rights to the teams effective with the 2020 season. Teams are expected to respect their RSN contracts, but this gave the teams the right to sell streaming of the games in market.

The catch is that prior to the 2020 season teams could not sell streaming rights - so it is logical that their RSN contract would not include them (unless there was a clause that would allow carriage IF the league allowed).

It seems that the statements last year of MLB wanting to start their own service conflict with the decision made in 2019 - but if a rule can be changed in one direction it can be changed back.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The simpliest solution (although when has MLB done anything simple?) - teams have a right to stream their games within their "territory" if they so choose. If this is an issue with what ever sports network a team has signed on to carry their games... then that's an issue between the team and the sports network.

All out of market games would require Extra Innings or MLB.tv.

What's so wrong about that?

If you live in Granite, Iowa - which is technically Cubs territory - you can't get the Cubs games with Extra Innings or MLB.tv. But you may not get Marquee with your cable or satellite provider. So you're SOL if you want to watch the Cubs.

Enter Marquee OTT streaming. Now if you live in Granite, Iowa - Cubs territory - you can subscribe to Marquee OTT and get the Cubs games through the Marquee OTT app.

Why would MLB have any problem with that? They're not going to lose an Extra Inning or MLB.tv subscriber, because the person living in Granite, Iowa wasn't subscribing to these services because it did them no good.

If MLB really wants to keep their greedy hands in things, then start restricting what territories a team can claim as "their" territory.

Now... maybe the Cubs and Sinclair are at odds over whether to allow this OTT streaming. Perhaps Sinclair is worried this would encroach on their subscriber numbers with the various cable and satellite providers in the Cubs territory. That's an issue that Sinclair and the Cubs (or whatever team vs. whatever their RSN is) would need to address.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts