DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,718 Posts
There was nothing wrong with the superstation era at all. The Cubs and Braves, as well as the Mets and Yankees among other teams, were simply smart enough to be on board with their stations that in turn were smart enough to go national at the right time.
It could be argued that having the "superstation" teams providing daily games helped baseball as a whole. People built up an appetite seeing games more than once or twice per week.

·
Icon
2,051 Posts
The best way to draw interest to the home team is winning games. And even that's not enough, sometimes. (Ex: Tampa Bay Rays.) MLB's reasonably documented issues with teams trading the farm and tanking out during the season doesn't help fan interest in markets where they're playing with guys no one has heard of in late July-early August. That's not a fan's fault for caring about what else is happening in the league and taking viewer interest elsewhere.

I still don't understand why I should have to care about a team just because they're the closest one to my home. I live in a Nielsen market that, during the darkest times for the two franchises, aired Kansas City Chiefs games nearly each week on CBS, and St. Louis Rams games on FOX. There were plenty of other exciting, more competitive games each week. But this was the first option for local broadcasts. And it was BRUTAL for fans without Sunday Ticket.

Professional sports are a business. Fans are the consumer. The onus is on the content creator to make content that fans are interested in. If not, they take their business elsewhere.
Nobody is forcing you to do anything (though, why someone from New York would want to root for a team in Dallas is beyond my comprehension, but that's me.) Like you said sports is a business and businesses have business models, and baseball's doesn't work without a strong following from the local region. If fans stop going to the stadium and local RSNs get no ratings and no advertising dollars, the team is done. TB, yeah, they manage to win, but if they didn't have an owner who's somewhat committed to the region, they would have left long ago. All I'm saying is that without a strong local following, most teams will fold, or they will concentrate in larger markets. The business model for the NFL is different due to the once a week nature of the sport and the HUGE amounts of TV revenue on a national level. And even with that the National focus is always on a few elite franchises and whoever is hot at the moment, otherwise the rest of the teams can suck eggs. Baseball can't work that way.

·
Mentor
524 Posts
Nobody is forcing you to do anything (though, why someone from New York would want to root for a team in Dallas is beyond my comprehension, but that's me.) Like you said sports is a business and businesses have business models, and baseball's doesn't work without a strong following from the local region. If fans stop going to the stadium and local RSNs get no ratings and no advertising dollars, the team is done. TB, yeah, they manage to win, but if they didn't have an owner who's somewhat committed to the region, they would have left long ago. All I'm saying is that without a strong local following, most teams will fold, or they will concentrate in larger markets. The business model for the NFL is different due to the once a week nature of the sport and the HUGE amounts of TV revenue on a national level. And even with that the National focus is always on a few elite franchises and whoever is hot at the moment, otherwise the rest of the teams can suck eggs. Baseball can't work that way.
You’re right; no one’s forcing anyone to do anything. But there’s more than one person on this thread calling out that the sky is falling for MLB franchises if fans within their home region don’t support their local team, you can hopefully understand why I feel like people are telling others to do something, even if it’s not specifically spelled out as such.

Every professional sport, from a national broadcast standpoint, focuses on its major franchises and “teams of the moment.” No one was paying attention to Golden State for 32 national broadcast games a season until Steph, Klay, Draymond and others took over. The concept of a “win-ocracy” isn’t exclusive to one major sport. Baseball, if anything, fails to not focusing on its teams of the moment and biggest stars enough. Case in point, as a Cardinals fan, if I tried to pawn off weekend tickets for a Cardinals vs. Cubs series, or a Cardinals vs. Padres series, which one sells for TRIPLE the value over the other? Cards vs. Cubs. Regardless that the Cubs were absolute trash by the time these game tickets were sold, and the Padres were red hot at the time, with one of the biggest “it” stars of the moment in Fernando Tatis, Jr., the divisional game went for triple the cost.

I say that in past tense, because it’s a true story that happened last fall at a fundraiser I attended. And it will happen again this year. Which leads to the real thing we’re overlooking…

“Baseball doesn’t work without a strong following from the local region.” I don’t disagree with you one tiny bit. Any professional team needs that, and to be realistic, most of them probably have the support they need. But the “business model” that we keep arguing over for baseball to be successful HAS to be allowed to evolve and change. Even if just a little. We’re discussing this on a section of a message board devoted to streaming television, something that wasn't even really anywhere near mainstream 5-6 years ago, and talking about why regional sports networks that built their living on linear TV are the key. As if the notion of direct-to-customer streaming or making access to more games is a monster that can’t be a part of the success puzzle. Baseball is a regional sport, agreed. But you've got to want people to care about more than their divisional opponents to sell more tickets and keep eyes glued on the TV screens.

Reactions: ThaPhenom

·
Registered
253 Posts
“Baseball doesn’t work without a strong following from the local region.” I don’t disagree with you one tiny bit. Any professional team needs that, and to be realistic, most of them probably have the support they need.
If the ability for a baseball franchise to exist in a region is dependent on forcing everyone in that region to get that team's TV broadcasts before they can get out of market broadcasts... then maybe that franchise doesn't need to exist in that region?

Local support is important, don't get me wrong. But if local people aren't interested in the team then why did a franchise start up in that region? Tampa Bay is an example of this. Tampa Bay has had some really good teams, but when you can't get 10,000 people to attend the games...the question becomes, why is there a team in Tampa Bay? Did anybody do a case study to check for local support before starting a franchise in Tampa Bay?

People should support their local team. They should want to support their local team. But if that supports has to be manufactured in terms of forcing local people to get those broadcasts... how really healthy is the local support of that team?

Where does that "local" support start to wane? 10 miles from the team's city - I'd expect to see a very large percentage of supporters of that local team. 25 miles... 50 miles.. 100 miles... 200 miles... 300 miles? When that percentage starts to wane... that's the extent of that team's "territory."

·
8 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
I still don't understand why I should have to care about a team just because they're the closest one to my home.
I suspect that it is mostly about being able to quantify eyeballs for the courtship of advertisers.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
For now, you can watch the Chicago Cubs on Marquee Sports Network, which is available on live TV streaming services like DIRECTV STREAM and fuboTV in the Chicago market. You can watch the Cubs on MLB.TV if you live out of market.

Some Cubs games may appear on Apple TV+ (Fridays) and Peacock (Sundays). Those games will be exclusive to those platforms and will not be available on any other service.
Marquee network is available nationwide on DirecTV Satellite with no games blacked out. You don't even need Extra Innings to view the games.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
Marquee network is available nationwide on DirecTV Satellite with no games blacked out. You don't even need Extra Innings to view the games.
While the channel is national, the Marquee website says that you must be in the Cubs' television territory to see live games.
Marquee Sports Network FAQ said:
How can I access Cubs games if I am outside of Chicago Cubs television territory?
Per MLB policy, if you are outside of the Chicago Cubs home television territory, your only option to watch live Chicago Cubs games is through an MLB out-of-market streaming package.
Is this no longer true or is DIRECTV failing to handle the blackouts properly?

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
They opened it up on DIRECTV about 2 months ago and has been that way since. A week or 2 after it started someone posted an article about the change. It is around here somewhere.

I’m guessing that after fielding such a horrible team a lack of eyeballs prompted the move to make the ratings look better.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
They opened it up on DIRECTV about 2 months ago and has been that way since. A week or 2 after it started someone posted an article about the change. It is around here somewhere.
I don't dispute that DIRECTV is showing the games OOM. What I question is whether someone going to get spanked for it.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
Possibly. Right now it is like WGN in the 80’s except it is only happening through DIRECTV Satellite.
Perhaps the number of DIRECTV SPORTS PACK subscribers is viewed as not worth pursuing.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
no other system has it other then local cable systems
Marquee Sports Network is available within the Cubs home television territory in portions of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin, and is carried on DIRECTV, U-verse TV, and more than 50 cable providers, as well as streaming platforms DIRECTV STREAM (formerly AT&T TV) and fuboTV.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
DIRECTV, U-verse TV, and more than 50 cable providers, as well as streaming platforms DIRECTV STREAM (formerly AT&T TV) and fuboTV.
If you look at the "Channel Finder", all of those "cable providers" are located in the Cubs' television territory (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin).

The question of whether or not DIRECTV should be blacking the games out where they would be OOM remains.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
in market only Does U-verse TV HD pack / sports pack show it out of market?
I have no idea. I don't have U-Verse. Or Comcast or any other cable provider that has Marquee. According to the press release it says it is carried nationwide on DIRECTV. So it appears that only DIRECTV is carrying it out of market. But it does not say it is exclusive to Satellite so you would need to ask someone with Stream or U-Verse if they are getting it out of market. Notice the last sentence in the first paragraph. However the Cubs games have been showing for people that don't have Extra Innings. Don't know about the Sky game or any other local sports programming

CHICAGO (May 9, 2022) – Marquee Sports Network and DIRECTV today announced an agreement to carry the network on the satellite provider nationwide. DIRECTV, which already carries Marquee Sports Network on channel 664 within the Cubs television territory, will now offer Marquee to consumers across the country, carrying all programming except for live regular season Cubs and Sky games, as well as select local sports programming.
Marquee Sports Network programming now available nationwide on DIRECTV

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
If you look at the "Channel Finder", all of those "cable providers" are located in the Cubs' television territory (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin).

The question of whether or not DIRECTV should be blacking the games out where they would be OOM remains.
According to the press release I just posted the Cubs games should be blacked out for anyone that doesn't subscribe to Extra Innings or those that are in the Cubs territory.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
According to the press release I just posted the Cubs games should be blacked out for anyone that doesn't subscribe to Extra Innings or those that are in the Cubs territory.
DIRECTV must therefore be screwing up if your post #47 is accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Well I have Extra Innings so I can see the games but other here have reported that they are out of market and don't have EI and are getting the games unless that has changed recently.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts