DBSTalk Forum banner

DIRECTV channel lineup update

125K views 620 replies 96 participants last post by  harsh 
#1 ·
since there's a thread on the Dish Network section that is a thread about the lineup changes to Dish, i figured that the DirecTV section needs a thread like that here so i just started this thread to address any channel lineup updates to DirecTV, ranging from new channels added, temporary channel removals by DirecTV due to contract expiration/dispute, permanent removals due to channel being shut down or DirecTV deciding that it needs to be removed due to low viewership, and permanent package channel changes (free previews don't count). this thread will only be for the DirecTV satellite TV lineup, not AT&T U-Verse or the streaming version of DirecTV aka DirecTV Now.

now to start this thread formally.

Channel removal:
Chiller, ch. 257, is being shut down by NBCUniversal on Dec. 31, meaning after that date, the channel is no more on every provider that carried it.

Channel additional to come:
according to the HD channel anticipation thread, the HD feeds of MavTV on ch. 214, Pop TV ch. 273, Great American Country aka GAC on ch. 326, and TV One ch. 328 are expected to launch on Dec 27, a belated Christmas gift from DirecTV to it's customers, in fact according to that thread the 4 new HD channels are in testing now.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The Cowboy Channel SD is coming to channel 603 also on December 27th

On the locals front, expect some changes in January. This is a must carry/retrans consent election cycle year, so must carry channels that neglected to file for their status by the end of September 2017 could be dropped, while those that filed for must carry after missing the last election cycle could be added.

#6 ·
The channel is shutting down completely at midnight ET the night of December 31st. Gracenote/TMS is just still showing the generic schedule after that. Notice that there are no episode titles and a lot of generic "Movie" and "To Be Announced" blocks.

As for TVG2, they did clear space at channel 601 a while back after they moved that Audience Channel mirror to channel 71, so if they were to add it they still have a place to put it. (i.e. move TVG to 601 and put TVG2 on 602)

#11 · (Edited)
In Los Angeles,KAZA Channel 54 has become the new Me-TV affiliate taking over for one of KDOC Channel 56’s sub channels even though they’re still showing it for now. KVME will become a Heroes and Icons affiliate on January 15. KJLA,meanwhile,has taken Azteca America away from KAZA. And,even though there’s no air date scheduled,KTLA will add Sinclair’s TBD to their digital lineup.

#14 ·
last Thursday (not yesterday by the way), Spike TV ch. 241 rebranded to Paramount Network and all guides show 241 as Par for the SD feed and PARHD on the HD feed.

this is the only lineup change in the last week and a half.

#21 ·
Please bring back honkytonk tavern, my favorite channel. I bet Nashville execs bought it to shut it down because it was popular and was anti-nashville because it featured real country music. It had the Texas sound which is far better than anything out of Nashville. No im not from Texas, But i know country when i hear. Do you hear me?

#24 ·
I would wait to see if something has changed until after the NBA all star break. It was still Cavs-only being duplicated when they are both on just about two weeks ago when I looked.

#34 · (Edited)
I do not know the channel. TVJapan mailed us and I called them they were letting Dish subscribers know the contract ends on April 2 and to switch to DirectTV.
TVJapan is aimed at Japanese speakers, programming is in Japanese.
They do show Journeys in Japan sometimes dubbed into Japanese.
A few programs like news and sumo do have dual audio, there is some way to switch audio, I speak Japanese so I never use that. Those are a minority. They do have a saturday period drama that is subtitled into English and so is One Piece. If you are studying Japanese I recommend it. This is a premium channel that costs $25 a month.

#39 ·
Reactions: salyavin
#46 ·
i don't know when it was added, but now Dallas-Fort Worth's ION station KPXD channel 68 has launched a HD feed on DirecTV after being SD only for a very long time and that means all DFW stations on DirecTV's line up is now in HD as KPXD was the last channel to yet get it's HD feed up until recently.

#55 · (Edited)
Portland, ME now has a mirror of 305, they don't get an actual local feed. The local channel 35 feed was dropped when Ion's purchase of the then-WPME was finalized at the end of March and it dropped the MyNetworkTV programming.

Only NYC, Chicago, Philly, Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Kansas City, Houston, Tampa, Memphis, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Portland OR, Greensboro and Anchorage actually get their local feeds, everyone else gets a mirror of channel 305 or 306.

Right now only NYC, Atlanta, Dallas, Kansas City and Portland OR get their local feed in HD, while Houston's HD feed has been in test mode since the beginning of April.