DBSTalk Forum banner
341 - 360 of 383 Posts

·
9 Posts
In most cases Customer Care only has the information that is available publicly. In the United States the Canal channels were only carried by DirecTV whereas in Canada they are carried by multiple providers. It could be Vivendi (the owner of Canal) is ceasing distribution in the American market after their channels failed to gain carriage with other distributors. The other option is DirecTV's agreement with Vivendi has expired and they couldn't come to terms on a renewal.

Logically the only reason I personally can see for them being dropped this soon is at Vivendi's request after the channels failed to gain distribution on other providers. I highly doubt AT&T is signing small term carriage agreements of 1-2 years.

This situation is similar to MBC Drama HD where it was added but only Verizon FiOS and DirecTV signed on to carry it. After about two years both providers ceased carriage of MBC Drama HD but still carry the regular MBC in their respective Korean packages which has wider distribution.

TV Japan is the only international service that limits its Satellite TV distribution on purpose. It was initially carried exclusively on Dish Network then moved to DirecTV exclusively. However it has wide distribution on cable and IPTV services.
Thank you. I believe that the domestic Canal channels are available for subscription directly from their website if you are anywhere in the EU. Perhaps Canal is planning to offer the international versions of their channels directly from their website too. Or maybe they will announce a deal with Dish/Sling since they offer other French channels/packages already. Those are my guesses.

The content of those 3 Canal channels offered in the US should not have any copyright issues, since there are no sports, new movies, or non-French series. So, they should be the same as the Canadian versions. In other words, why unilaterally withdraw from the US market when it costs nothing extra to produce those channels?

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
TV Japan is the only international service that limits its Satellite TV distribution on purpose. It was initially carried exclusively on Dish Network then moved to DirecTV exclusively. However it has wide distribution on cable and IPTV services.
I can't think of the names at the moment, but there have been a few others who left DISH and started on DIRECTV.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The 103A versions of the Spanish language channels (401-469), Music Choice and Chinese international channels (2102-2119) that are normally housed on 119 are now live.

The Music Choice channels now available on 103A are:
807 MCSW Music Choice Singers & Swing
815 MCSS Music Choice Sounds of the Seasons (Currently duplicated on 801 for the holiday season)
824 MCLO Music Choice Lounge
852 MCJZ Music Choice Jazz
853 MCEL Music Choice Easy Listening
855 MCJV Music Choice Jazz Vocal Standards
861 MCKP Music Choice K-Pop
865 MCCM Music Choice Classical Masterpieces
870 MCRM Music Choice Romances
876 MCMX Music Choice Mexicana
877 MCBP Music Choice Brazilian Pop
880 MCPF Music Choice Party Favorites
881 MCTI Music Choice Taste of Italy
882 MCIT Music Choice Italian Favorites
883 MCIR Music Choice Irish Favorites
883 MCNS Music Choice Nature Sounds

Reactions: dtv757

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Can the HR44 receive those channels?
Any current HD receiver connected to a slimline can...THAT was the main idea by doing this ;)
Just like @dishrich said any HD receiver that is capable of viewing the 103 satellites can get these channels. Both my HR44 and HR24 pick them up. Granted I don't subscribe to any of the Spanish or International channels but they are present in glorious OSD 721. However I have access to all the Music Choice channels that were added been rocking out to K-Pop. :p

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
AllStar
2,164 Posts
It is not NHK World News, it is just NHK World... it is more than news. I agree that it should be in HD! Remember that anyone can watch any news program on TV Japan ch 2040 in HD without a TVJ subscription. Brush up on your Japanese!

·
AllStar
154 Posts
AT&T’s U-verse offers NHK World in HD. Does AT&T have a different carriage agreement for DirecTV regarding the channel? More likely just a matter of saving transponder space.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,472 Posts
Just saw the note under messages that on 1/23/20 El Rey Network and Fusion will no longer be available
Sorry, but no loss. I have no idea what either channel is supposed to be or who would watch it. I honestly think you could film a random 25 year old watching YouTubes and the result would be more watchable than El Rey.

·
Legend
584 Posts
Sorry, but no loss. I have no idea what either channel is supposed to be or who would watch it. I honestly think you could film a random 25 year old watching YouTubes and the result would be more watchable than El Rey.
Welp, my daughter is gonna be pissed once she finds out... She watches Lucha Underground and several other shows on El Rey.

341 - 360 of 383 Posts