2,725 Posts
Yep, on mine too.

Reactions: Nate.O'Brien

·
Icon
2,146 Posts
And MGM HD is going away. From FB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those of us paying for the Movie Extra pack (or whatever it's called these days)....will we get a rebate with one less channel? I sincerely doubt it. Shame about this as they showed some great old movies. Doesn't Amazon own MGM studios now or is it still TW? My guess is that these movies will move to a streaming venue. I expect a lot of this to happen over the next few years. More and more content that used to play on cable channels moving to streaming. Less and less content for linear TV means less and less linear channel. At this point does VIacom/Paramount/CBS need, what 4 MTV channels? They haven't played music for years and they have just become another location for reruns and reality shows. And how many Nick channels do they need? NBC Universal has already jettisoned two sports channels (or will in a week or so) and you have to wonder how many general purpose cable channels they need at this point. If these companies will be creating less and less new content for these channels (and moving new content to streaming), why do they need 5 channels playing the same shows?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,524 Posts
Olympic channel - Americans, and I think much of the world, have a weird relationship with the Olympics. Once every four years they wrap off-beat sports the vast majority of people don’t understand and don’t follow even if they do in the flag and in pseudo-religious hokum and people go nuts for it, and then resume not caring about them for the next 3 years and 11 months and watch football, baseball, etc. This channel was aimed at the 4 people who actually watched this stuff year round. It was doomed to failure.

USA - The day of what I call the “general rerun channel” (USA, TNT, FX, etc.) is fast coming to an end. Everyone who wants to watch these reruns has seen them, and the networks are not making new ones. You can find similar content on the netlets and on streaming. Thus the owners are trying to keep them relevant with sports. Which is why USA is now a hybrid mix of USA and the old NBCSN

Rant - Were it not for this thread, I would be totally unaware of the recent channel additions. DirecTV sends me emails, at least daily, trying to sell me crap I don’t want, and had a message system that, likewise send me unwanted spam almost as often. But I never get notice of channel additions, which is information I really want, and would never look between 33 (the highest OTA in my town) and 200 for any content.

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
DirecTV sends me emails, at least daily, trying to sell me crap I don’t want, and had a message system that, likewise send me unwanted spam almost as often.
I must be in a special group of DIRECTV customers. The only e-mails I receive from DIRECTV are my monthly bill statements.

·
Icon
2,146 Posts
Olympic channel - Americans, and I think much of the world, have a weird relationship with the Olympics. Once every four years they wrap off-beat sports the vast majority of people don’t understand and don’t follow even if they do in the flag and in pseudo-religious hokum and people go nuts for it, and then resume not caring about them for the next 3 years and 11 months and watch football, baseball, etc. This channel was aimed at the 4 people who actually watched this stuff year round. It was doomed to failure.

USA - The day of what I call the “general rerun channel” (USA, TNT, FX, etc.) is fast coming to an end. Everyone who wants to watch these reruns has seen them, and the networks are not making new ones. You can find similar content on the netlets and on streaming. Thus the owners are trying to keep them relevant with sports. Which is why USA is now a hybrid mix of USA and the old NBCSN

Rant - Were it not for this thread, I would be totally unaware of the recent channel additions. DirecTV sends me emails, at least daily, trying to sell me crap I don’t want, and had a message system that, likewise send me unwanted spam almost as often. But I never get notice of channel additions, which is information I really want, and would never look between 33 (the highest OTA in my town) and 200 for any content.
I disagree about "rerun" channels. At least for older viewers watching syndicated reruns have always been part of the landscape and popular. The issue to me is there's just too many channels showing the same exact shows. For example, I can watch Seinfeld on Comedy Central, I can watch it on Nick at Nite, I can watch it on Paramount and so forth. And, with that, all of these channels might have hours upon hours per week of showing this. That's why I see a consolidation in order. At some point all of these content owners are going to get rid of all of these superfluous channels. Years ago, they tried to "specialize" those channels....some for comedy, some for history, some for Sci Fi, etc, but now they are mostly a mish mash of everything. So if that's the case, might as well get rid of them. Not to mention you can find most of those reruns on streamers as well.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,725 Posts
Those of us paying for the Movie Extra pack (or whatever it's called these days)....will we get a rebate with one less channel? I sincerely doubt it. Shame about this as they showed some great old movies. Doesn't Amazon own MGM studios now or is it still TW? My guess is that these movies will move to a streaming venue. I expect a lot of this to happen over the next few years. More and more content that used to play on cable channels moving to streaming. Less and less content for linear TV means less and less linear channel. At this point does VIacom/Paramount/CBS need, what 4 MTV channels? They haven't played music for years and they have just become another location for reruns and reality shows. And how many Nick channels do they need? NBC Universal has already jettisoned two sports channels (or will in a week or so) and you have to wonder how many general purpose cable channels they need at this point. If these companies will be creating less and less new content for these channels (and moving new content to streaming), why do they need 5 channels playing the same shows?
Luckily I’m not one of those who ever paid for Movies EP, but I always liked MGMHD for some great movies too. Years ago, many were showing up in 1080P as well, literally the only channel besides PPV to do so.

Once ATT killed the 3 months for $0 years ago that me and others always used it since they offered it, I vowed to never pay the monthly charge for it, just taking advantage of all the free previews.

Recently that deal has evolved again on my DirecTV.com account and I renewed it again last month. Sad to now see the channel going away. ☹

·
Super Moderator
53,871 Posts
Olympic channel - Americans, and I think much of the world, have a weird relationship with the Olympics. Once every four years ...
Hmm ... the Olympics shows up on my screen every two years or so. I got tired of professional sports. And although amateur sports have become commercialized, the Olympics is one of the few platforms where international competition can be given some respect. (International beyond a few Canadian teams participating in globally popular American sports.)

·
AllStar
2,196 Posts
MTV has a lot more than 4 channels. Directv doesn't have them all. Those channels, with MTV Live which we do have, play music 24x7. BET is the same way. MTV and BET not playing music anymore is simply a meme myth.

·
Icon
3,492 Posts
MTV has a lot more than 4 channels. Directv doesn't have them all. Those channels, with MTV Live which we do have, play music 24x7. BET is the same way. MTV and BET not playing music anymore is simply a meme myth.
Yea I noted that too . The telcos and .. cable cos seam to have all those extra viacom music channels

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cozi TV is now on DTV. However, after looking at it. It doesn't have any great shows on it. It has Emergency! but I have been watching that on FETV. H&I has some better shows on it. If DTV adds H&I I guess it would be Channel 385 because that is the DTV Stream channel it's on.
Oh my Goodness. I just looked up H&I and they have Vega$. I would love to get that. And Hawaii Five-O would be nice, which they show.

461 - 480 of 480 Posts