Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
23 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Way to go, btmoore. Quick work with the digital camera. Hopefully there's something in there the developers can use to solve this thing once and for all. Looks like you're not the only one who missed "Heroes", which contributes to my theory that some programs are more likely to get hit with the partial bug. I know that there are those who say it's just because more people watch certain shows, but I think there's something in the guide data.

(I completely admit I'm pulling this idea out of my rear end and have no data to support it. That's why I am trying to find some data)

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
I have had the Partial bug only twice, but they happened on the same program.

Note I have no MPEG4 available to me.

Both times the recording was on SD channel 636 (FSN-Detroit) and was the Red Wings pregame show (30 minutes long).
It was the only recording at the time.
2 different shows were set to record after the pregame show was over, differnet channels then the pregame show (yes, the Wings game was on after but on HD channel 95).

So the only pattern I have is a single recording followed by a dual recording on different channels then the single recording. I don't really have the time to do a test on this (should be easy to do). Hopefully someone else can test this "script" and see if they can reproduce the partial.

·
Icon
777 Posts
Mine occured on a single recording after two concurrent. The problem was with CSI. Yellow record light on, nothing showing as recording.

9pm - The Bachelor and Heroes
10pm - CSI: Miamo

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Way to go, btmoore. Quick work with the digital camera. Hopefully there's something in there the developers can use to solve this thing once and for all. Looks like you're not the only one who missed "Heroes", which contributes to my theory that some programs are more likely to get hit with the partial bug. I know that there are those who say it's just because more people watch certain shows, but I think there's something in the guide data.

(I completely admit I'm pulling this idea out of my rear end and have no data to support it. That's why I am trying to find some data)
I recorded Heroes last night while simultaneously recording CBS shows (Both MPEG4 Locals). I didn't experience any partials; however, Heroes did end abruptly about 30 seconds early. I'm attributing that to NBC overrun.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vinny said:
I recorded Heroes last night while simultaneously recording CBS shows (Both MPEG4 Locals). I didn't experience any partials; however, Heroes did end abruptly about 30 seconds early. I'm attributing that to NBC overrun.
Many things do record correctly simultaneously I have had lots of these work. I personally don't think this bug has anything to do with if you are recording 2 things at one. I have seen it happen on just recording one thing and a standard SD channel at that. IMO this problem is something that happens when something goes wrong in the preamble phase of creating the data stream to be stored. Once this is happens the recording is toast in fact your trick plays wont work if you are watching it live while it is recording but they will return to normal after the recording has finished/failed.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
btmoore said:
Many things do record correctly simultaneously I have had lots of these work. I personally don't think this bug has anything to do with if you are recording 2 things at one. I have seen it happen on just recording one thing and a standard SD channel at that. IMO this problem is something that happens when something goes wrong in the preamble phase of creating the data stream to be stored. Once this is happens the recording is toast in fact your trick plays wont work if you are watching it live while it is recording but they will return to normal after the recording has finished/failed.
Hmmm, interesting. The other night I was watching live while recording. I tried to Pause; didn't work. Then none of the trick plays worked. I hit menu and selected the same show from My VOD. It began playing from the beginning; I then used the trick play to FF to live; and it worked.

I don't know if this means anything, just wanted to put it out there.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vinny said:
Hmmm, interesting. The other night I was watching live while recording. I tried to Pause; didn't work. Then none of the trick plays worked. I hit menu and selected the same show from My VOD. It began playing from the beginning; I then used the trick play to FF to live; and it worked.

I don't know if this means anything, just wanted to put it out there.
Hmmmm, perhaps there is an other scenario when the trick plays lock up. Every time I have had the trick plays fail and there was a recording in the playlist it was unwatchable. I would not be surprised by this.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
I've had trick play functions lock up with 0xEB. The program is sometimes playing, and sometimes in the paused state. The way out of it is to start another program. That could be via LIST or just changing to another Live TV channel. There seems to be corruption in the Live TV buffer sometimes.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
btmoore said:
Hmmmm, perhaps there is an other scenario when the trick plays lock up. Every time I have had the trick plays fail and there was a recording in the playlist it was unwatchable. I would not be surprised by this.
Trick Play on my unit will become unresponsive every couple of days. I switch to a different channel for a second and trick play works normally.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
So, I went into my history for the first time in awhile. It starts at the future and everything looked fine. I then got to the past and I noticed some shows listed as partials. I didn't realize I had any partials so I thought that was weird. Looking at the shows, it seemed all were ones that replay many times, so I figured that's why I didn't know I had partials deleted because it just recorded a later showing. But then upon further inspection, I realized the shows listed as partials were actually ones that didn't record due to conflicts. So it would list 3 shows that were on at the same time and show the 2 higher priority items as recorded, but it would show the third that didn't record as a partial, which is a term that in this case makes no sense. I didn't look through all 500+ listings in the history, but every one that did say partial was due to a conflict.

I'm not saying that's what yours are, but I just find it weird that they would call these partial since they never recorded (for good reason) in the first place. Can anyone else confirm this is how they are listed?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
mtnagel said:
So, I went into my history for the first time in awhile. It starts at the future and everything looked fine. I then got to the past and I noticed some shows listed as partials. I didn't realize I had any partials so I thought that was weird. Looking at the shows, it seemed all were ones that replay many times, so I figured that's why I didn't know I had partials deleted because it just recorded a later showing. But then upon further inspection, I realized the shows listed as partials were actually ones that didn't record due to conflicts. So it would list 3 shows that were on at the same time and show the 2 higher priority items as recorded, but it would show the third that didn't record as a partial, which is a term that in this case makes no sense. I didn't look through all 500+ listings in the history, but every one that did say partial was due to a conflict.

I'm not saying that's what yours are, but I just find it weird that they would call these partial since they never recorded (for good reason) in the first place. Can anyone else confirm this is how they are listed?
Can anyone having partials comment on this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.