DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· AllStar
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the ratings, I guess I already know the answer to this question but....Did anyone else watch this? It was awful!

I'm wondering because during the opening on-foot chase around the Lincoln Memorial, I could have sworn I saw two dimentional cutouts (or Photoshop-type additions) instead of actual "extras".

Did anyone else notice this? or was it just me/my TV, or how it was shot.

It seemed like it was made on the cheap but I have never noticed something like this on other pilots.

Just curious...

· Hall Of Fame
1,267 Posts
I strongly dislike ending the opening scene with the jump back six weeks.

The rest was just OK IMO. I'll keep it on the recording schedule for now but no telling when I will get around to watching any more. I read somewhere that NBC ordered a full 22 episodes so it will likely be around for awhile.

Do like the ex-Cylons though. :)

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
majikmarker said:
I'm wondering because during the opening on-foot chase around the Lincoln Memorial, I could have sworn I saw two dimentional cutouts (or Photoshop-type additions) instead of actual "extras".
Since I haven't watched it yet, I'll check.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
OK, picked up the "cutouts" effect - my wife saw it faster than I did. I believe it was the result of the deliberate overexposure of that scene as when I froze it and advanced it in slomo the people were clearly extras.

We enjoyed the premier. The show has a solid story, good writing and superb acting. The ongoing plot is likely to be complex while weekly stories I'm sure will be like any other criminal law practice procedural.

As I noted in my ratings thread, if you didn't see the premier with all the backstory I don't know how you're going to pick everything that's going on. Whoever at NBC bought this show deserves congratulations. Whoever set up the schedule is an idiot.

· Hall Of Fame
1,711 Posts
NBC just can't catch a break. The overnight ratings were a disaster, maybe in part because of the OT in the Denver/Pittsburgh football game. But you'd think they could get more people to sample such a high-profile show with a well-known story.

I'm beginning to think NBC could put on nekkid supermodels and everybody would still watch an NCIS rerun on CBS ;)

· Registered
21,543 Posts
mreposter said:
I'm beginning to think NBC could put on nekkid supermodels and everybody would still watch an NCIS rerun on CBS ;)
You may be right about that! :p

We watched The Firm last night and enjoyed it. But we also enjoyed Prime Suspect, Life and Studio 60, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

· Icon
1,291 Posts
Rats. I missed recording the premier due to an uncaught schedule conflict (I could easily have removed the conflict by cancelling a cable-channel program that would be repeated later). No problem, I'll just grab it from NBC VOD -- except, at least as of last night, it wasn't available there. :nono2:

They just continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

· Icon
1,018 Posts
Watched about 30 minutes........it's a no go for me.

· Registered
6,573 Posts
makaiguy said:
Rats. I missed recording the premier due to an uncaught schedule conflict (I could easily have removed the conflict by cancelling a cable-channel program that would be repeated later). No problem, I'll just grab it from NBC VOD -- except, at least as of last night, it wasn't available there.
Full reair Saturday night of both hours.

· AllStar
88 Posts
We missed the premier also, but noticed that it is ariing again this weekend. The second episode and future episodes are now on Thursday nights starting this week.

· Icon
823 Posts
My wife liked it, but I thought it was oppressively dark and foreboding. Of course, it was the pilot, so there was no room for character development. Without it, I can see the potential for the same traps that befell "V" and "Flash Forward" -- an overinsistence on a relentlessly dark story arc without interesting characters.

· Hall Of Fame
1,711 Posts
Bad news, the ratings for the Thursday episode were down to a 1.0 - even lower than Prime Suspect got in that time slot before it was cancelled.

Is that the sound of an axe about to swing?

· Hall Of Fame
1,711 Posts
Watched the pilot and the first episode today (snowy weather here, so it's a stay-at-home saturday...) Yeah, the pilot was slow, especially the first hour and the double flash-back at the beginning was a bit annoying. But I'd say the show improved in the second hour and in the first one-hour episode.

It's difficult to judge the show without thinking of the movie. The show doesn't have the exhilarating tension of the movie and in some ways the visual references to the movie only make it worse. I also think the actress playing Abby, the wife, is fairly weak here, with no real definition.

And as much as I like Callum Keith Rennie, his Ray is nothing like the Ray in the movie - hapless bumbler vs. smart and streetwise. In several scenes I thought he upstaged Josh Lucas, which a supporting character shouldn't do.

Sounds like a hate the show, but I don't really, it's not half bad, but it just doesn't stand up to what was a roller-coaster ride fun time of a movie.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.