1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outlook for TiVo after the Series 3 launch - It's not good

Posted Oct 31st 2006 6:46AM by Chris Tew
Filed under: TiVo, TiVo Series 3

Brian Clark of Gizmodo has done a feature on the outlook of TiVo after the release of the Series 3. I don't know if you remember but before the launch of the Series 3 TiVo was getting a lot of bad press about being a company that is not making money and is in trouble.

That bad press seemed to disappear around the launch of the Series 3 but I think we will start to be seeing a lot more from now on. As Gizmodo points out, the outlook for TiVo is not a good one.

I'll outline some of the main concerns regarding TiVo's future:

- TiVo's stock is down significantly since the Series 3 was launched and is about $6.60 compared to a predicted $9.50.
- The number of shared sold internally by TiVo executives outweighs the number bought. This gives an indication that the people running the company have little faith in its immediate future.
- Deals to provide TiVo software to other vendors are sketchy. There is a possible deal with Comcast although no further details have been released and TiVo also has a deal with Cox, but this might not be enough, especially if the Comcast deal falls through.
- Of the 4.5 million TiVo subscribers most are from the recently ended partnership with DirecTV and the cost of acquiring new subscribers has increased by 50%.
- TiVo's long term prospects could be in advertising which is ironic coming from a company that allows you to skip ads.
- TiVo is also bogged down in a lawsuit with Echostar which is yet to be resolved. It will be great for TiVo if it wins, but the lawsuit is far from over with lots of costly court battles ahead.

Clark also mentions that the $800 price tag for the Series 3 was just way too expensive....

--
( The entire article is at the following source: http://www.pvrwire.com/2006/10/31/tivo-outlook-shaky/ )

·
AllStar
83 Posts
I don't see why dtv doesn't pull some change from the couch, or under the front seat of the car, and just buy TiVO already. Would be a good business decision if D* could be with TiVO and be the exclusive provider.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I moved the thread here to General Discussion, as there is more then DirecTV people intrested in the future of TiVo, Inc.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK.. Fare nuff :)

However it could be less traffic in this forum's area than in General DirecTV Discussions (.. i considered this Forum's area also before posting my above post.. but wasn't sure which area would be better.. and went with General DirecTV Discussions) :D

·
Godfather
410 Posts
kay said:
I don't see why dtv doesn't pull some change from the couch, or under the front seat of the car, and just buy TiVO already. Would be a good business decision if D* could be with TiVO and be the exclusive provider.
I switched from ReplayTV to DirecTivo and wish ReplayTV had an HD version of their system. I miss my ReplayTV, I thought it was better than the TIVO system. Maybe DirecTV will buy ReplayTV.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Darkman said:
OK.. Fare nuff :)

However it could be less traffic in this forum's area than in General DirecTV Discussions (.. i considered this Forum's area also before posting my above post.. but wasn't sure which area would be better.. and went with General DirecTV Discussions) :D
I know... Hence why I added it to the headline's page.. :D

·
Godfather
410 Posts
cookpr said:
Is Replay TV still even around??
Yes, I think they are shifting to the PC market of DVR. The only reason I switched is because I wanted an HD version of the DVR and DirecTivo fit the bill a few months ago. Once DirecTV gets OTA working on the new HD DVR (HR20) I will make the switch.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,919 Posts
cookpr said:
Is Replay TV still even around??
ReplayTV has pretty much left the DVR hardware market in favor of providing DVR software for Windows XP based computers.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
I know... Hence why I added it to the headline's page.. :D
Oh.. OK.. i just found it :)

I hardly go there though .. BUT others more likely DO .. So - Good Idea! :D

·
Super Moderator
53,162 Posts
OK, now that we're done discussing the moderation, can we get back to the subject of the thread?

:backtotop

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Well if they bought Tivo it sure would solve that pesky FFwd (lack of) jumpback issue that the HR20 is dealing with.

:)

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I sure hope D* doesn't buy Tivo and go back to that cutesy-poo GUI in its DVRs.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Mixer said:
Well if they bought Tivo it sure would solve that pesky FFwd (lack of) jumpback issue that the HR20 is dealing with.

:)
Only if they buy them with the intent to use their technology and patents.

It wouldn't be the first time a company has been purchased to keep their "product" from the market....

On a side note, try using the Jump Back button to exit your FF motion, instead of hitting play.

·
Legend
127 Posts
It just goes to show you, Having a great product is not always enough. If you don't get in bed with the right people, your business will get squashed. Who loses? We (the consumers) do.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Here's a thought: The providers are attempting to sink TIVO to pressure them into selling their software so it can be tweaked to eliminate the ability to so easily bypass advertising. Of course it is much more complicated than that, isn't it?

D* has made it clear it plans on siding with the the Content Providers with their new DVR. Navigating past commercials is much more cumbersome with their offering. And since D* interests also have interests in the FOX networks, don't you think they would be doing what they can to protect their revenue stream?

·
Godfather
335 Posts
My heart bleeds for TIVO.......<pushing the erase button>

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
There is an article today on CNET.com entitled, "TiVo readies for prime time with Comcast". I could not post the url since I am new to this board.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,344 Posts
Ok, I found the story:

http://news.com.com/TiVo+readies+for+prime+time+with+Comcast/2100-1041_3-6130862.html

The meat:

[quoting]
The initial release seems to have been pushed back, though both parties say nothing has changed. When the deal was first announced last year, Comcast said its first TiVo-brand DVR service would be available in "mid- to late 2006." That timeframe is still accurate, said Comcast spokeswoman Jenni Moyer, and will be available on a limited basis later this year, with a broader rollout planned for 2007, she said.
[end]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.