DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to read back through as many old posts as I can, but I can't really get my questions answered satisfactorily. I have a DishPlayer 7200 and of course all the stupid bugs and problems that come with it (No Information screens, occasional inability to record, lost recordings, recent loss of sound on local channels, etc.)...

I've gotten pretty good at the power-down/yank-smart-card/unplug/option-code style fixes, but it's certainly a hassle. I've complained enough to tech support I could probably get a trade-in for free or next to free, but from what I've gleaned, ALL the Dish PVR-players have software issues. Also, I have it on pretty solid authority (MS friend) that these known issues (which mostly have to do with an ever-expanding program guide and dropping super-large hard-drives into them, or so I hear) will soon be fixed, and that the DishPlayer is actually better than most other options out there, or will be when the software is fixed.

A Dish rep recently mentioned a new 2-channel tuner coming, and I assume that's the upcoming 721. But I'm assuming any of these PVRs could have software issues. When it works correctly, I like the DishPlayer fine. Although 2 tuners would certainly be nice for recording while watching something else....

My questions: Are the other existing options out there as good as the DishPlayer and less buggy? Non buggy? Worse but non-buggy? Is there any reason to expect that the 721 will be non-buggy and especially good? Is that the box to wait for and upgrade to? Do we think these issues are finally about to be solved with a software upgrade? Is there any word on when that will actually happen?

If there was a better PVR-style box with bug-free software I'd switch in a heartbeat. If there isn't, I'd just like to get on with my life and wait for this magic software upgrade that will make my digital life pleasant again.

Thanks,

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Hi and welcome to DBSTalk

Are the other existing options out there as good as the DishPlayer and less buggy?

If you are able to switch to DirecTV, the DirecTivo or UTV is the way to go for very little problems. On the Dish side, the 501 is getting pretty good reviews. There are still bugs but from what I understand, not as many as the Dishplayer.

Is there any reason to expect that the 721 will be non-buggy and especially good? Is that the box to wait for and upgrade to?

The 721 should be a good piece of hardware. I honestly don't think it will be any less buggy than the 501 but it should definitely give the DirecTivo a run for its money. The 721 is considered a true upgrade to the Dishplayer according to the people at Dish. The 501 was never meant to be an upgrade to anything. Just a new style PVR box.

Do we think these issues are finally about to be solved with a software upgrade? Is there any word on when that will actually happen?

There should be a Dishplayer software upgrade coming very soon that is supposed to cure many of the bugs. I guess we will have to wait and see on that one.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
There was "supposed" to be a software update before tonights Charlie Chat. (It was supposed to be sent last week)

I am now hearing that a few bugs were found that were not there before. Oh well. Credit to Dish Network for at least testing the software this time before sending it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem with my Dish PVR 501... In the middle of a show, while cancelling a recording event, the PVR just shutdown. I waited 10 mins. before powering up. All the recorded events were listed but when selected nothing was shown (it would play and then immediately stop). Also noticed that the available recording time went back up to 34+ hours even with all the listed recorded shows.

Called Dish Tech support twice. First was an idiot. I think the standard answer is: could you please turn the unit off, then unplug, do you have a surge protector? Needless to say was very pissed at this point for all the erased shows.

Second tech call was basically same thing. However, they said that there is a bug in this unit and they were working on a download fix. Don't know if this was true.

As for the lost shows, the response was: Sorry, nothing we can do about it.

This is the 3rd time this happened to me on this unit. This is a warranty replacement unit because my previous PVR 501 just died.

This is starting to feel like a Microsoft product!

Very frustrating !!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.