DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if The Shield will be in HD on FXHD this year for the final season? I have heard it is filmed in widescreen originally as there is a widescreen dvd version available for the past couple seasons.

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
No matter to me. Its the last season and I would watch it no matter what it was in.

· Godfather
501 Posts
What difference does it make what it is shot in? All the DVDs are widescreen. That said, I would prefer 4x3 SD over 16x9 SD. With 4x3 I don't have to zoom the picture, reducing resolution even more.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Jaspear said:
What difference does it make what it is shot in? All the DVDs are widescreen. That said, I would prefer 4x3 SD over 16x9 SD. With 4x3 I don't have to zoom the picture, reducing resolution even more.
Why do you have to zoom the picture with 16:9 SD? On a HD station it could potentially be broadcast in full 16:9 and just be in SD quality.

All DVDs are not 16:9 either, hence why many have two versions..one normal, one widescreen.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Grentz said:
Why do you have to zoom the picture with 16:9 SD? On a HD station it could potentially be broadcast in full 16:9 and just be in SD quality.

All DVDs are not 16:9 either, hence why many have two versions..one normal, one widescreen.
I don't know Gentz but, maybe he means that The Shields DVD's are all widescreen. I am not sure if they are or not.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Grentz said:
Ahh, that might be the case.

Many people I talk to and hear about mistake aspect ratio and resolution (HD vs. SD) being one in the same, which is not true at all.
I see that also.

Some of the aspect ratios, which we are calling 16X9, are actually something else. You know, the widescreen stuff with the bars at the top and the bottom.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
techrep said:
Some of the aspect ratios, which we are calling 16X9, are actually something else. You know, the widescreen stuff with the bars at the top and the bottom.
Gotta love 1.85:1, 2:39:1, and all their friends :lol:

16:9 is truly a compromise to try and get a standard, luckily it works out quite well in most cases ;)

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Grentz said:
Gotta love 1.85:1, 2:39:1, and all their friends :lol:

16:9 is truly a compromise to try and get a standard, luckily it works out quite well in most cases ;)
I remember one called anamorphic, whatever that is. :)

· Registered
5,915 Posts
anamorphic is actually the way to store a 16:9 picture in a 4:3 format.

Was used a lot in the early days of widescreen TVs...the source would be compressed in to fit on a 4:3 film, and then you would have your TV "stretch" the picture back out to 16:9 :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen

and how they can do it, it actually can be captured with a special lens:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic

Its amazing how watered down and simple video formats are to the consumers (how few choices there are I mean). There are tons and tons of standards and techniques in the video industry.

· Godfather
501 Posts
Grentz said:

I just finished watching the Damages marathon that aired recently on FX-HD. They were all 4x3 letterboxed. The only way to to get rid of the vertical and horizontal black bars (left, right, top and bottom) was to zoom the picture. They could as you say "potentially" air a show in full 16x9 (either HD or SD), but in this case they didn't.

As for the DVDs, the early seasons of The Shield were originally released as 1.33:1, just as they aired on FX. They were all re-released a few months ago in anamorphic widescreen 1.78:1.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
O I see, you guys were meaning you dont want it in widescreen on a SD feed (so that you would have black bars on all sides).

Is what I was meaning is that since the show wants to keep the SD "look" they could broadcast it on the HD channel version but in 16:9 SD (so it would fill the whole screen, but be SD quality)

· Legend
119 Posts
Grentz said:
O I see, you guys were meaning you dont want it in widescreen on a SD feed (so that you would have black bars on all sides).

Is what I was meaning is that since the show wants to keep the SD "look" they could broadcast it on the HD channel version but in 16:9 SD (so it would fill the whole screen, but be SD quality)
Why don't they show it in Black & Whiite while they're at it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.