DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that TTOHH is now in HD, however, my local PBS didn't show it in HD today, even though there was an HD icon in my guide. I've confirmed from someone on another site that it is in HD this season.

Did anyone have their local PBS show it in HD? How does it look?

Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Our local PBS station is about as unpredictable as can be when a show is to be broadcast in HD. It can be very poor HD, stretched SD, 480P 16x9, excellent HD or maybe not even the show listed in the guide.:) Normally newer shows are spectacular in HD.

· Hall Of Fame
3,317 Posts
It was on in HD here and it looked pretty good. My PBS (WSKG) has 2 other subchannels so the main HD channel can be bit starved a little, but it was OK. It was on here on Thursday night at 8PM and again at 11PM.

· Hall Of Fame
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bicker1 said:
Here, as well, the PBS station, WGBH, broadcast This Old House in letterboxed SD on the HD channel, both over-the-air and through the feed to cable systems.
Interesting, isn't WGBH the station that produces TTOHH? So you would think it would be in HD on that channel.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I watched TOH Thursday night in true 16:9 HD via the PBS HD feed channel (from my local PBS station - WITF). They digital broadcast of the analog feed showed "HD" but was letter boxed in a 4:3 window.

· Godfather
410 Posts
PBS is bad when it comes to HD. When a program is in HD on WTTW Chicago, there is so much microblocking or the picture is soft because of bit starving.

Our other PBS station (Channel 20, I don't know the call letters) has a HD channel and I have yet to see an HD program even though they say HD in the description.

PBS and HD, a JOKE!

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Our local PBS station has two digital signals (33-1 and 33-3).

The 33-1 feed is the regular analog feed transmitted digitally but NOT in HD (even though the guide lists "HD" for these programs, they are all 4:3 and often letter boxed). The 33-3 feed is the PBS HD feed. Most often, these two channels have totally different programming.

· Hall Of Fame
1,040 Posts
That is no longer the case in Boston, nor in many other cities. Now, the SD channel (2-1) and the HD channel (2-2) have the same program schedule. Boston is not the only city where broadcasts of HD programs at times other than the PBS network feed to the affiliate are upconverted SD, letterboxed and pillarboxed.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
D* is mum on the subject.. so is PBS. Neither is talking about it, like its a big bad dark secret. The press release from Dec 2007 said "2008".. we have 2 months left.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.