DBSTalk Forum banner

Which network or program has the best high-definition picture quality?

• ABC-HD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CBS-HD

Votes: 21 4.3%
  • Discovery HD

Votes: 88 18.0%
  • ESPN-HD

Votes: 194 39.6%
  • FOX-HD

Votes: 32 6.5%
  • HDNet

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • HGTV-HD

Votes: 109 22.2%
  • NBC-HD

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • NGC-HD

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Universal HD

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • VOOM

Votes: 5 1.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion, which network/program has the very best HD PQ?

First, a confession: I have become an HD snob!

I may not be an expert, but as a videophile for over half a century, I have a pretty
good frame of reference when it comes to picture quality. I now have two HDTVs,
one, a two-year old Panny 53" RPTV for my HT, for which I spent almost half the
discounted price of the set to have it professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen.

The other is a new Philips 23" LCD HDTV which sits on the corner of my desk,
which I typically view like a PC monitor at a very close- up distance of 30"-40".
The acquisition of the Philips coincided with the recent launch of NBC's Today
Show in HD, so I got to see the show's spectacular debut at an intimate viewing
distance and was blown away by the crisp, ultra-sharp and highly-detailed high-
definition PQ, definitely enhanced by the new Today studio set designed for the
HD broadcast.

The other morning show in HD is ABC's Good Morning America, which I have
been watching off and on since it began broadcasting in HD a while back. While
ABC was the first among the nationally-televised network morning shows to be
shown in HD, the Today Show has raised the bar so high that, in my opnion, the
CBS network, the nominal leader in primetime HD programming, faces virtually
an insurmountable challenge when they finally get around to throwing the HD
switch for their morning show.

But all that subjective stuff aside, I'm interested in which network or program you,
the DBSTalk panel of "expert" HD viewers thinks presents the very best high-def
picture quality shown today -- any network, any show, any time. Whether it is the
Discovery HD, HDNet, NGC-HD, ESPN-HD, or your favorite prime-time network
show, let your opinion be known by voting now.

If your choice isn't listed in the poll, be sure to cast your 'write-in' vote by posting
your choice below, and also, be sure to say which program you think represents
the best in HD PQ.

Since I started this thread, I get to go first: My vote for the very best HD PQ goes
to <drum roll, please> NBC's Today Show.

What is your opinion?

(This poll will remain open until January 18, 2007.)

·
Godfather
410 Posts
I find CBS to be some of the best I have seen. The CSI series look amazing. I also watch CBS because it is the best 5.1 sound out of the 4 networks.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Some of my actual favorite shows in HD right now are actually on other networks (Law & Order and Heroes on NBC, Smallville on CW, Boston Legal on ABC for example)... but I second the concept that CBS-HD generally looks the best and they absolutely do a better job with the 5.1 surround sound than the other networks. I just don't watch a lot of regular CBS shows outside of sports broadcasts as their main shows don't hold my regular interest often enough... though I do like NCIS when I remember to watch it.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
For me the best picture quality is on the local PBS HD channel. Fox seems to have sound quality that is always far better than all others.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
581 Posts
This question is a little biased as many providers do not carry HDNet (i.e. KOMCAST)

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reggie3 said:
This question is a little biased as many providers do not carry HDNet (i.e. KOMCAST)
:confused: No bias intended, Reggie. If you don't get HDNet, then don't vote for it.

I have Comcast and I get both HDNets, but I voted for another HD channel.

BTW, nice beard! :grin:

·
Icon
521 Posts
Tough, really tough.
I notice in the results that Disc HD is way ahead. By that I would guess also most universally watched because of the great diversity and quality programming without a lot in your face crap.

I sprung for voom, not that I watch it often, actually rarely cause not much they have intrest me. That said , the RAVE and Equatior in particular, when I check them out in passing, still blows away most others. Be it on my 63'' Mits DLP or the Panny 36" CRT. Equator at times is like a mini I-MAX. AS a matter of fact when I go to show off I will put on those two, especially Rave with the Excellant audio that really "grabs em by ears and eyes".

A question I would add, HD-snob:), is which HD that we get/pay for are amoung the worst most of the time and does not meet our expectations often enough.. I've read the complaints but I don't recall a actual survay.

Bear!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
Rave follwed by other channels such as MonsterHD since what good is quality image if the content and audio are poor.
The rest of the Voom channels.

·
Godfather
410 Posts
cbearnm said:
No comparison for me, my local PBS, received OTA is by far the best HD I get. Of those listed, I'll go with Discovery HD.
I believe our PBS station (WTTW Chicago) lost some of it's quality when they changed the Resolution to 720P so that they can broadcast three stations on the same channel. It just seems a little softer. It could have to do more with the fact that three stations are squeezed into the bandwidth and no the 720p.

·
9 Posts
Best Network and Best Sports picture overall: CBS. At least in Chicago. So much better than NBC or ABC it's not funny.

OF the cable-Sat channels, Rave, Discovery HD, Food Network and HGTV will just knock your eyes out (Dish HD subscriber). I find myself watching the most foolish stuff on Food HD just because the picture is so damned good. There was a program segment on the making of applesauce that was just a work of art. Seriously.

My applause goes the National Geographic, for making the committment to produce everything new in HD. Best combination of compelling content and HD quality.

Wish I would see something from the A&E family in HD!

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I regret not including FOOD HD in the poll. Since I don't get it (yet?), I forgot about them.

My bad. :shrug:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,166 Posts
I voted CBS, until a month ago I would have voted HD-Net but since E* is sharing that transponder with first the Nfl net now the Rave previews the PQ took a major hit...

·
AllStar
69 Posts
HDNet hands down is my winner....the space shuttle launch on HDnet is an amazing thing! Not to mention the other programming they offer such as NHL hockey. Great stuff!! Discovery HD is a close second.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,099 Posts
Cbs has the best hd hands down. I watch more hd shows off of this one network then any other hd channel. In fact the great hd is what got me interested in the Csi shows etc.

·
AllStar/Supporter
143 Posts
I'm hooked on HGTV-HD - it probably has more "effective" bandwidth, since the shows are not as "active" as say ESPN-HD, more can be devoted to the subtle color differences, vs. the amount of action.

Regardless, I cringe at watching programs in SD. My parents were down last weekend, and dad hit Channel 140 for the Michigan game on Saturday. Dad was fine, but my reaction was "ick" - I switched it over to ESPN-HD and mom actually watched part of the game, due to the clarity and color of the HD signal...

(He did keep hitting 140 when surfing, and I had to redirect to ESPN-HD).

Suggestion to Dish - give HD viewers the option, that when they select a SD channel for a network with a Simulcast HD signal, it would go directly to the HD channel.... (i.e., HGTV-HD wouldn't since it isn't a simulcast, but ESPN, HBO, TNT, etc., would...)

Jim

Jim

·
Hall Of Fame
1,433 Posts
compubit said:
I'm hooked on HGTV-HD - it probably has more "effective" bandwidth, since the shows are not as "active" as say ESPN-HD, more can be devoted to the subtle color differences, vs. the amount of action.

Regardless, I cringe at watching programs in SD. My parents were down last weekend, and dad hit Channel 140 for the Michigan game on Saturday. Dad was fine, but my reaction was "ick" - I switched it over to ESPN-HD and mom actually watched part of the game, due to the clarity and color of the HD signal...

(He did keep hitting 140 when surfing, and I had to redirect to ESPN-HD).

Suggestion to Dish - give HD viewers the option, that when they select a SD channel for a network with a Simulcast HD signal, it would go directly to the HD channel.... (i.e., HGTV-HD wouldn't since it isn't a simulcast, but ESPN, HBO, TNT, etc., would...)

Jim

Jim
Or just make an option that says map HD channels to their SD equivalents. Then you could decide if you wanted to do it or not. Especially relevant for the simulcast stations, but I might even do it for the others. Could do the same with the locals, i.e. map "5" to "5-00".

1 - 20 of 47 Posts