DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is some discussion in the "Agreed, ...POS" thread about which interface, TIVO or HR20 is easier to use.

Since things are quiet around here lately, how about we try to solve this question with a little experiment? Admittedly, someone is going to have to be a little zealous, or bored to put the time into this, but then again, some of us *do* spend ALOT of time out here so...

I'm not the expert for setting it up, but I will lay out some suggestions, and look to board members to tweak and fine tune the test.

Start with someone with little or no experience on a DVR. A child, a neighbor, a babysitter, your parents, etc.

Give them a number of tasks to complete on each- and time each task to correct completion. Perhaps we track two times: Time to figure it out, time to complete the task.

Tasks:

- Display the guide
- Record a single show
- Record a series link, or season pass
- List all shows available
- Play back a specific show
- Skip a commercial break
- WATCH TWO SHOWS at once and preserve the buffer. :p
- Skip to the end of one show as fast as possible.

Suggestions? Comments?

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Tivo is easier. It was designed for a time when the concept of a DVR was new and fresh, and evolved (although ever so slightly) over time to what the H10-250 ended up being - a good warrior machine.

That said, today's users are far more educated on DVR, and no longer require the simpler look and feel. Once HR20 is out perhaps a total of 6 months (about the same time the H10-250 hit the "mature" timeframe, it should be head and shoulders more fitting for the new times and technology.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
That said, today's users are far more educated on DVR, and no longer require the simpler look and feel. Once HR20 is out perhaps a total of 6 months (about the same time the H10-250 hit the "mature" timeframe, it should be head and shoulders more fitting for the new times and technology.
This is the way that I feel. Easy only shines for a week or so. Efficient will win the war. Such is not to say that the HR20 direction is perfect.

· Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
harsh said:
This is the way that I feel. Easy only shines for a week or so. Efficient will win the war. Such is not to say that the HR20 direction is perfect.
I don't know about your folks, but if my father is ever going to use a DVR, it HAS to be really simple and intuitive. My guess is that he is not alone. A more complicated, feature rich DVR is desirable and appropriate for people like us (geeks - sorry)- But for the general population, I think a simplistic, easy interface is more desirable.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
While there are a number of things I like about the HR20's interface, in my mind there's no question that Tivo's interface is easier to learn and use.

· Icon
895 Posts
bwaldron said:
While there are a number of things I like about the HR20's interface, in my mind there's no question that Tivo's interface is easier to learn and use.
LIEZZZZZZ!!! DIRECTV IS GOD :lol:.

But seriously, Tivo may have the easier to learn interface, but the Plus HD receiver is much more seemlessly intergrated into the DirecTV universe than a Tivo ever would be, unless DirecTV made Tivo (and nobody wants that).

Also, I really do appreciate the equal playing field all of the DirecTV branded receivers set. Because they have the same reactions, virtually the same button presses, the same look, and the same problems :D, my family has a much easier time with everything.

Throw a Tivo in my house and hell would break loose! Seriously.

· Cool Member
25 Posts
The HR20 is not as easy to use as the Tivo, but is indeed more effecient with many functions. For the kids, grandparents, and 'women' (sorry girls) of the world, Tivo is the better unit. For those with a little more willingness to forgoe natural 'intuitiveness' in favor of 'discovered practicality' the HR20 is the winner.

Nonetheless, DTV needs a serious lesson in Aesthetics. I'm a Mac user, and I appreciate an organic, sexiness to my UI. It's not that hard to add some elements that will draw the eye to the right command, button or instruction with a little care to the UI.

· Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
Honestly I don't think either is superior. I have used Tivo for a long time now and it took me a while to get used to it. I have used the R15 from the time it came out and now HR20 and it took me some time to adjust to this interface. I didn't use my Tivo for some time when I moved earlier in the year and when I picked up the remote it took me a while to figure out where things where once again.

I think both are good and bad in many ways. I do think DTV needs to make the interface less industrial looking and jazz it up some. It's just too plain for my tastes.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
The experience in our household is the 18month old great-granddaughter can pick up any remote control and point it at the TV--and she's happy. :)

May everyone get to enjoy the joy and happiness of a toddler frequently and often in this new year!
Tom

· Legend
118 Posts
ReplayTV is hands down the best interface that I have seen on a DVR. This would be out of HR20, Tivo, some Cox Cable HD-DVR, and ReplayTV. I still record the vast majority of SD content on my ReplayTV and watch it back that way, as I really get the feeling of being in total control and can get to any point in any show almost instantaneously. I'm keeping my eye on the new ReplayTV PC software and hope that one day I will be able to use that with DirecTV and get HD programming and change channels using serial control over USB on the HR20, or maybe the H20.

· Legend
205 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
\That said, today's users are far more educated on DVR, and no longer require the simpler look and feel. Once HR20 is out perhaps a total of 6 months (about the same time the H10-250 hit the "mature" timeframe, it should be head and shoulders more fitting for the new times and technology.
Uh... it has been out for over 6 months. It has been out about a year and the UI has changed very little. How did the HR10-250 mature? It has the same UI that it had since the release except for the addition of folders which came in the last few months.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Which interface is Easier....

As much as we would like to try and make it a clear cut... this one is better then that one, regardless how many there are...

It is totally subjective to the person using it.

I personally think the DVR+ interface is less "disruptive" then the TiVo interface... Which I find easier to use...

· Godfather
349 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
I don't know about your folks, but if my father is ever going to use a DVR, it HAS to be really simple and intuitive. My guess is that he is not alone. A more complicated, feature rich DVR is desirable and appropriate for people like us (geeks - sorry)- But for the general population, I think a simplistic, easy interface is more desirable.
My parents have startred using an HR20 as well, and they have had no problems adapting to it, although they have had a TiVo for a long time now.

I guess an additional question is how much time do you end up not spend watching tv or able to quickly watch tv when doing all those things as well. I think that is a fundamental flaw in TiVos design that people have simply overlooked since its inception, pretty much. When someone sits down to watch tv, they don't necessarily intend to spend 30 minutes not actually watching any Television at all. Yet my father told me sometimes when he is organizing his season pass lists and such he can easily spend that much time on his television not actually watching tv at all, and with no ability to actually watch tv. To me that is a huge point in terms of usability and ease of use and also in terms of efficient use of time. Maybe I am not going to watch that Hi-Def movie in the box while managing my system, but I can certainly pop on a talking heads show and actually do two things at once.

For a device that saves us all so much time, TiVo does manage to go back and waste a not small chunk of it in return.

· AllStar
77 Posts
I think the box needs to be pretty much idiot proof to be ready for prime time. I shudder in anticipation of my parents asking me if they ought ot get one. They still change the channel with a pair of pliers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.