DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's a new Joey 4 and a new wireless access point coming soon. I wonder when ? ;)

EDIT:
Well guys, just got confirmation on the new receiver. There are 3 new ones coming out!
- Hopper 4
- Joey 4
- Wifi Joey 4

The Hopper 4 is going to have an Android based system. I'll update more details when I have them!

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
Standard answer: Soon.

Definition of "soon": Sometime between now and never.

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
DISH considers Joeys to be receivers (no tuners, relying on content from a Hopper).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
There's a new Joey 4 and a new wireless access point coming soon.
FCC applications aren't a particularly telling indicator of what is "coming soon". DIRECTV's replacement for their C71 "Osprey" streaming device was filed two years ago and it still isn't out. Dave Zatz posted his notes about the Hopper Plus, Joey 4 and wireless Joey 4 just this past June.

I think "coming soon" is probably premature.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,268 Posts
I would analyze dish FW streams - they usually testing new devices and new FW could reveal it. Remember when info about "Zapper" FW posted ? Then Wally came out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FCC applications aren't a particularly telling indicator of what is "coming soon". DIRECTV's replacement for their C71 "Osprey" streaming device was filed two years ago and it still isn't out. Dave Zatz posted his notes about the Hopper Plus, Joey 4 and wireless Joey 4 just this past June.

I think "coming soon" is probably premature.
Oh I'm not talking about the FCC. I saw the new additions on my inventory list today.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,268 Posts
It was a time when Ergen been on TV with news about devices, programs, etc. Someone remember Bo-Decky (?) tool what he presented ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I always liked when Charlie chats were on DISH network.

Retailer chats were more informative though. Should have made retailer chats available to everyone and not just retailers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
I miss the Charlie Chats as well although it did appear that they jumped the shark at the end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys, just got confirmation on the new receiver. There are 3 new ones coming out!
- Hopper 4
- Joey 4
- Wifi Joey 4

The Hopper 4 is going to have an Android based system. I'll update more details when I have them!

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,268 Posts
Interesting, how tight the Android on H4 would be ? I would expect it's totally restricted to dish site.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Interesting, how tight the Android on H4 would be ? I would expect it's totally restricted to dish site.
Nonsense! That would substantially defeat the purpose of using Android.

Reactions: DishDude1

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Isn't Linux under hood of H3 ?
I would be surprised if *nix hasn't been the underlying platform starting with the 501.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I would be surprised if *nix hasn't been the underlying platform starting with the 501.
Could be... I know the Hoppers have been using the Broadcom 742n "System on a Chip" series chips with embedded MoCa, but I don't know what OS they're based on.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts