DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Well guys, just got confirmation on the new receiver. There are 3 new ones coming out!
- Hopper 4
- Joey 4
- Wifi Joey 4

The Hopper 4 is going to have an Android based system. I'll update more details when I have them!
I've read about the forthcoming Android-based Dish box from the FCC info that Dave Zatz uncovered this summer. I assume that "Android-based" means that it runs a customized version of Google's Android TV operating system, with the Google Play app store and Google Assistant on board. I don't know why Dish would opt to use a generic open-source version of Android (i.e. without access to Google apps and services). But adopting Android TV would make a lot of sense, because it would give the Hopper 4 access to WAY more streaming apps. The Hopper 3 only offers apps for Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video among the major video services. But the Google Play app store has Android TV apps for HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, Apple TV, Peacock, Paramount+, Discovery+, ESPN+, Tubi, Pluto TV, etc. (Although some of those app providers would require a specific agreement with Dish to allow their receivers to download and install their Android TV app from Google Play. So adopting Android TV wouldn't automatically give Dish access to every app that Google distributes.)

·
Icon
981 Posts
Well thats great! Now i have to wait longer to switch from fios. been contemplating going back to directv satellite or directv stream. Dish satellite is something i would look at closely especially if they have a new hopper 4 coming! i wish directv would give their customers new satellite equipment,instead of something thats 10 years old.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't know why Dish would opt to use a generic open-source version of Android (i.e. without access to Google apps and services). But adopting Android TV would make a lot of sense, because it would give the Hopper 4 access to WAY more streaming apps.
We are getting pushed really hard right now for internet connectivity, and I can probably say these Hopper 4's are only going to really shine with internet.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Well thats great! Now i have to wait longer to switch from fios. been contemplating going back to directv satellite or directv stream. Dish satellite is something i would look at closely especially if they have a new hopper 4 coming! i wish directv would give their customers new satellite equipment,instead of something thats 10 years old.
Note that DirecTV Stream also has an updated version of their custom Android TV box in the works. It passed through the FCC back in the summer, so could come out at any time. (You can use their service with apps for popular retail streaming devices too, but many folks report that the user experience is better if you opt to buy their box which has a full-size remote designed just for their service.)

My parents have been with Dish for years and have old pre-Hopper DVRs. Waiting until the new hardware comes out from both Dish and DTV Stream to decide which will be the better route for them to opt for and stick with for the next few years...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well guys, just got confirmation on the new receiver. There are 3 new ones coming out!
- Hopper 4
- Joey 4
- Wifi Joey 4

The Hopper 4 is going to have an Android based system. I'll update more details when I have them!
Kule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
- Hopper 4
- Joey 4
- Wifi Joey 4

I am wondering if the external hard drives will be compatable with the Android based hopper. As we know the external hard drives used with these hoppers not are Linux based.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It could be... I haven't seen a comprehensive breakdown of the H3 OS though, that spells that out. With the H4 implementing Android it's a given of course.
Like I just wrote the external hard drives when formatted by the current hoppers are formatted to Linux.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Like I just wrote the external hard drives when formatted by the current hoppers are formatted to Linux.
Is that what "...the external hard drives used with these hoppers not are Linux based." means? ;)

Linux based OS's use a variety of hard drive formats. Which one are the EHD's formatted to?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is that what "...the external hard drives used with these hoppers not are Linux based." means? ;)

Linux based OS's use a variety of hard drive formats. Which one are the EHD's formatted to?
When you hook up a external hard drive to the hopper you will be asked if you want the hard drive formatted. If you agree to have the drive formatted. Then the hopper will format the hard to Linux format.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,254 Posts
EHD format [EXT2] is well known, I posted many MBR parsed when they increase its approved size, while stick the partition size to 500 GB, so with bigger EHD, number of partitions raised,

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
When you hook up a external hard drive to the hopper you will be asked if you want the hard drive formatted. If you agree to have the drive formatted. Then the hopper will format the hard to Linux format.
There is no single "Linux format"... The default file format used by most Linux based OS distributions is EXT4, with XFS and Btrfs also gaining in popularity.

·
Cool Member
78 Posts
Android. Should work great until the first firmware update. No, thank you.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
Nope. Exactly what I wrote. See STM site for details
I have to assume that you're about either st.com or stmicroelectronics.com.cn. They have documentation on OS20. It clearly states that OS20 is a real time kernel and as such, there must be an actual OS running on top of it (i.e. DOS, Linux, Unix, Windows, etc.). Since the filesystem is of the EXTn family, the logical assumption is that Linux is that operating system.

The Echostar Knowledge Database (EKB) and other sources are clear about the PVR501 using OpenTV 2.0 but they don't cite the underlying OS.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts