DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I have to assume that you're about either st.com or stmicroelectronics.com.cn. They have documentation on OS20. It clearly states that OS20 is a real time kernel and as such, there must be an actual OS running on top of it (i.e. DOS, Linux, Unix, Windows, etc.). Since the filesystem is of the EXTn family, the logical assumption is that Linux is that operating system.

The Echostar Knowledge Database (EKB) and other sources are clear about the PVR501 using OpenTV 2.0 but they don't cite the underlying OS.
Linux has its own kernel, written originally by Linus Torvalds. Android, GNU, and others run on top of it...

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
Linux has its own kernel, written originally by Linus Torvalds. Android, GNU, and others run on top of it...
I'm comparing OS20 to Linus' kernel. P Smith would appear to be putting OS20 forward as a functional replacement for Linux and that is a monumental overreach.

Reactions: NYDutch

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
No need to put YOUR words in my mouth!
Given how difficult it is to parse your posts (either due to peculiar grammar, incorrect information or omission of details), interpretations seem necessary.
I told you - old DP5xx models used NOT LINUX OS !!! But OS/20 ! That's it !
You need to provide some documentation rather than vague references to support your claims. OS/20 doesn't appear to exist. ST calls their RTOS "OS20".

I found the Operator's Manual for OS20 on a french website:

http://audentia-gestion.fr/STMicroelectronics/PDF/en.CD17473749.pdf

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
There's a new Joey 4 and a new wireless access point coming soon. I wonder when ? ;)

EDIT:
Well guys, just got confirmation on the new receiver. There are 3 new ones coming out!
- Hopper 4
- Joey 4
- Wifi Joey 4

The Hopper 4 is going to have an Android based system. I'll update more details when I have them!
Back to the original topic. Dave Zatz has posted photos of the new DISH hardware, recently unveiled within the FCC filings, on his blog at https://zatznotfunny.com/2021-11/dish-joey4/ .

Based on what's been filed at the FCC, plus a comment from a knowledgeable source, it does not appear that a new Hopper DVR, i.e. Hopper 4, is on the way. Instead, there's a new Hopper Plus device, which DISH describes as a "whole-home DVR accessory". My hunch is that it will connect directly to a Hopper 3 or Hopper Duo DVR (via USB 3.0) and then the Hopper Plus will connect to the TV via HDMI. (When paired with the Hopper Plus, the underlying Hopper DVR will no longer connect directly to the TV.) This Hopper Plus accessory will upgrade the user experience by delivering a new UI running atop Google's Android TV operating system with access to thousands of apps from their Google Play store. Wonder if there will be an additional rental charge for the Hopper Plus or if DISH will just throw one in for free with each compatible Hopper DVR in order to make their service more compelling and able to better retain subs?

Aside from the Hopper Plus, there will be two new model Joeys, the Joey 4 and Wireless Joey 4. Both will run the new Android TV-powered UI and apps. But will extend service from an underlying Hopper DVR to an additional TV. I'm sure all three devices will offer 4K HDR and perhaps Dolby Atmos audio too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well guys, here it is! The receivers are going to be the Hopper Plus, Joey 4, and wireless Joey 4.

@harsh @NashGuy @OneMarcilV @P Smith @NYDutch

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
The locking lever on the power connector of the Hopper Plus suggests that these are intended for vertical mounting. Too bad HDMI doesn't have such a provision.

It seems odd they went with USB-C on the Hopper Plus given that the Hoppers don't have it. Maybe this nukes any cross-over cable questions.

·
Super Moderator
53,120 Posts
Fortunately USB-A to USB-C cables exist. USB-C is probably a better choice than USB-B.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Fortunately USB-A to USB-C cables exist. USB-C is probably a better choice than USB-B.
Yes, I have a number of USB-A to USB-C cables, as well as adapters from USB-Micro-A to USB-C and USB-C to USB-Micro-A adapters. We have a mixture of USB devices that are always looking for power or data as they get moved around. I haven't pulled out a USB-B cable since our printers went wireless.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,972 Posts
Well guys, here it is! The receivers are going to be the Hopper Plus, Joey 4, and wireless Joey 4.

@harsh @NashGuy @OneMarcilV @P Smith @NYDutch

This info is all two months old. Nothing but silence since November.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
Are we to be exposed to the same kind of Rube Goldberg interconnections as Apple owners have long been subjected to? ;)

·
Super Moderator
53,120 Posts
No. I expect the device will connect to one of the USB-A jacks on the back of a Hopper. There are a few options available to connect USB-A to something else. USB-C seems to be the current favorite (without going to proprietary connectors). USB-B is so last century.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Are we to be exposed to the same kind of Rube Goldberg interconnections as Apple owners have long been subjected to? ;)
USB-A to USB-C cables are pretty common now, and ship with many newer devices to connect to the wall wart. I have cell phones and hotspots that all came with A-C cables for power, just as older devices came with USB-A to USB mini-A or micro-A cables. Nothing "Rube Goldberg" about it at all...

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
USB-C seems to be the current favorite (without going to proprietary connectors).
They put USB A connectors on the back of the Joeys so it is all a little odd. Most media streamers I've seen continue to use USB A (unless the USB connection is where the power comes from or it is an Apple TV that doesn't allow you to plug anything into it).

·
Super Moderator
53,120 Posts
Joeys are not intended to connect to Hoppers via the USB. I believe the Hopper Plus will be connected to a Hopper. Thus needing something other than USB-A. USB-C is a good choice.

Still looking forward to seeing more than the minimal information required to be provided to the FCC.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts