DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 625 on eBay a few years ago, after calling to confirm that the seller owned it to sell, and that it wasn't leased. All was fine, and got it activated. I am not a contract customer.

5 months later, I saw that I was paying a lease fee, and after some warm discussion, they removed 5 mos' lease fee. Problem solved?

8 mos later, I was about to go away for a while, called to suspend/terminate service. Dish sometime had decided that MY receiver was THEIR receiver (in retrospect, I know how this happened; when I activated, the CSR didn't put a 'tick' mark in the 'Customer-owned equipment'). Little did I know, that removing the lease fee meant nothing.:nono2:

After back and forth with CSRs each month, and even a collection recording about a contract that I signed :confused: :confused: :confused: where did THAT lie start :confused: I finally got a rep that pulled up my receiver ID number, and told me the name of the guy I bought it from, and city, and that he OWNED it, and now I OWN it.

They knew it all the time.

Problem solved? hahaha

I resumed service last year, no lease fee, with MY box. Today I called to suspend again, and double checked after calling the CSR "Equipment is NOT leased, right?" pause "No, this is a leased receiver - you'll need to return it".

So I started up the tape recorder, and told them I was recording 'for training and quality assurance and LIE VERIFICATION of dish CSR's. The rep (no help at all) finally transferred me to another rep, who reluctantly pulled up the old owner again. Problem solved? He then had to transfer me again to Exec CSR.

Then I got the runaround, even when I said the second rep already determined again that it was owned by the seller, AND by me.

They finally said, "We won't charge your account for un-returned equipment". They wouldn't even say it's my box, after the other rep DID say it's mine (and it's on tape, with CSR ID#).

Even if they did, I know what it means - nothing.

But I got it on tape. Hello YouTube :D

·
Legend
237 Posts
I'll plead your case when it come times to replace the 625 receiver. Dish needs the lease/owned receiver to be returned so they can send it back to the manufacturer who removes "some or none" and insides and the manufacturer inserts this into a newly design cabinet/box to be leased to another customer.

Never count on Dish getting things right. In my case I'm in the same situation as you, only I have a leased VIP211, and it shows on my account that I own the receiver along with my other VIP211K, which I really own and paid a dealer in New York state back in 2008. But, what my account says, isn't really what Dish states is true. So, I just go along doing nothing till the 24 month lease is up.... that is if I have a 24 month lease, because I never sent the contract papers back to Dish that came with the VIP211 receiver.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,420 Posts
cj9788 said:
funny i have been with dish since 2001, and have never ever had a problem
Funny is that you posting it here in the thread ... you are one from millions who have no issue.

Back to the topic - I would (actually I did last time) do only online chat, save it to file, get one more confirmation from those ppl - they saved it too.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
I'm wondering why anyone would own one any more. This is their fee schedule as of February 2010 and note that these fees apply whether it's yours or theirs and if it's theirs no lease fee is involved:

·
Legend
237 Posts
My view here on the advantages and disadvantages owning or leasing receivers is "if and when." If you own the receivers, you have no contract to contend with...pay the monthly bill and watch TV. Should circumstances arise that you change to another satellite company, you can do so without paying the penalty fees, etc. Being the owner of the equipment you can discard, sell, or send them to Dish. Leasing the receivers generally requires a 24 month contract that has many stipulations on what the leaser can do...like when one can stop the service, who gets the equipment, and the balance of fees owed.

I know when you own the equiptment...receiver(s), dish/antenna(s), etc., you have paid a dear price and pay each month to use it, whereas if you lease there's never any up front costs.

·
AllStar
61 Posts
4HiMarks said:
A similar thing has happened to me from time to time with my 622.
...and to me. Multiple times with multiple receivers over many years.

The one time I asked about leasing I was told I couldn't because it was in an RV so I said "thanks anyway" and hung up. They sent me one anyway and then lost it when I sent it back.

·
RichardParker II
939 Posts
phrelin said:
I'm wondering why anyone would own one any more. This is their fee schedule as of February 2010 and note that these fees apply whether it's yours or theirs and if it's theirs no lease fee is involved:
The only reason, and my reason for owning a receiver is that I can have it removed from service whenever I want without the hassle of sending it back to Dish. I have two this way in locations where I don't want them active all the time. Saves me money and hassle in the long run.:grin:

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
You can now lease up to 3 receivers (up to 6 TVs) and have up to 6 receivers on the account with the extras being purchased.

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FarmerBob said:
And the ironic thing is that when "your owned" unit dies, they treat it like its theirs and replaced it as if it were theirs, instead of telling you "sorry".
That WOULD have been a good point, in one sense...

A few months after I bought it on eBay, I was having frequent reboot episodes. I knew if it went belly up, that was my problem, since it was MY box. BUT, surprisingly, when I called them (I don't remember why I did), they said they'd replace it for the cost only of postage. :eek2: Wow. That's mighty generous of Dish...

Something told me to NOT do this tho', and I'm glad I did not.

In retrospect, they were going to replace the box only because their records were showing it was theirs. Which made the offer NOT so generous. I'M going to pay postage??? To replace YOUR failed box??? :nono2:

Replacing MY box would have added another layer of concrete over the ownership of the original, and replacement, receivers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.