DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Been a Dish subscriber for over 12 years, and I'm thinking about upgrading some of my stuff. Last upgrade I did involved adding a new LNB, multiswitch, and second receiver. I did all the work, even made the cables. Bought the hardware from amazon/ebay. It's older stuff, no HD.

So, I have one LNB pointing at 119. (I think that's right.) Anyway, I'm paying for the 200 channel package but I don't get some of the channels, probably because they're on a different satellite.

I'd like to get all the channels I'm paying for. What's it take from where I'm at? Can I just buy some outdoor hardware and make it happen? Can I call Dish and get an upgrade?

Fwiw I don't need DVR. I use an antenna for local terrestrials because of TV market weirdness...I'm in the middle of three markets, plus I do use the alternate channels. (where I live I can get about 40 channels OTA :))

·
Godfather/Supporter
2,033 Posts
I'm not quite clear if you want HD or just to get all the channels. It is possible you will get most of the SD channels with 119/110. You would need no new receiver.

If you want HD and all the channels, you will need all three satellites, 119/110/129 and new receivers. If you don't want it to cost you alot of money, you probably need Dish to install it. But be aware, any change to your account that Dish does will result in you getting your locals as part of the package, and an additional $5 charge per month. (I am assuming you now do not get your locals and are grandfathered) This has been shown to be true even if you do not change packages, upgrades etc.. seem to trigger ending the grandfathered non local package.

263 Posts
If you are only wanting SD you can use a Dish500 pointed at 110, 119 which will get you most if not all of your SD channels. If you need HD PM your phone or account number and I will be happy to see what options are available.

John the Trainer said:
Howdy!

Been a Dish subscriber for over 12 years, and I'm thinking about upgrading some of my stuff. Last upgrade I did involved adding a new LNB, multiswitch, and second receiver. I did all the work, even made the cables. Bought the hardware from amazon/ebay. It's older stuff, no HD.

So, I have one LNB pointing at 119. (I think that's right.) Anyway, I'm paying for the 200 channel package but I don't get some of the channels, probably because they're on a different satellite.

I'd like to get all the channels I'm paying for. What's it take from where I'm at? Can I just buy some outdoor hardware and make it happen? Can I call Dish and get an upgrade?

Fwiw I don't need DVR. I use an antenna for local terrestrials because of TV market weirdness...I'm in the middle of three markets, plus I do use the alternate channels. (where I live I can get about 40 channels OTA :))

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I know I was a little vague. I want to get all the channels. HD can come later...I only have HD on a small LCD in the bedroom. Not a bad idea to plan and build for it, but it's not the priority right now.

I also forgot to check which receivers I have. They're old. lol

Dish 500...that's a dish/LNB, right? The Dish 1000.2 is a few bucks more...what's that get me with one more lnb? More channels, or the HD sat?

Part two is the connections. Drawings like the one at amazon for the 1000.2
confuse me. (I can't post a link yet, apparently) Drawing shows one output for each sat? Something tells me that's not right.

I also assume that this 1000.2 at the link only works with certain receivers, such as those newer than mine. Where can I figure that out?

Is there an explanation of what's on the various sats, somewhere?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.