DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I drop almost 2 bills on a remote, those that have the Harmony 880, does it work all the functions of the HR20 including the functions that are triggered by extended key presses on the factory remote?

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Brantel said:
Before I drop almost 2 bills on a remote, those that have the Harmony 880, does it work all the functions of the HR20 including the functions that are triggered by extended key presses on the factory remote?
I'll say first that I am extremely satisfied with the Harmony 880. Nothing in this world is perfect but this is easily the best universal remote I've handled, and I've had a few. PM me if you want more info.

If you're talking about skip-to-tick, skip-to-end, slow-mo, that sort of thing, then yes... but. The workaround I use is to hold down the key for 3 seconds, let go and hit it again-- it works. There are others who have had success with recording the commands in "raw" mode, but I haven't tested that yet.

· Cool Member
14 Posts
lamontcranston said:
I'll say first that I am extremely satisfied with the Harmony 880. Nothing in this world is perfect but this is easily the best universal remote I've handled, and I've had a few. PM me if you want more info.

I second this, I just got my HR20 (from an HR10-250) and it was a breeze to reconfigure. I love it.

· Registered
5,451 Posts
I have the 880 and the 890.

Love them!

Trick plays work perfect on mine. I did a little adjustment to the buttons, but it is very easy to do.

There are two ways to connect to program these remotes. One is using the software provided on the CD. The other is through the browser. I prefer the browser method since it goes directly to some of the settings rather than having to follow the paths in the supplied software.

The link for the browser login is harmonyremote.com.

I have also seen them on ebay for $152 new.

266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

I just bought one on Amazon for $136.29 thru Beach Audio. I checked them out on reseller ratings and they look ok.

BB, CC, etc are all ripping people off on these units. They are selling them for $249:icon_stup

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
You got a very good deal and you will be very happy with the way that it controls your HR20. Just keep in mind that these remotes use activities and as such everything can (needs to be) programmed to work exactly how you want it. When you are in Activity mode for example you will see different buttons loaded in the LCD then you will if you are in device mode for the HR20. You can customize these to be exactly the same if you want as well. There are great resources out there remotecentral is one of them and also think that the avs forums have a great harmony section as well. I have also received help here in this forum when it relates to the HR20 and in some of the random general forums as well.

Enjoy it. the remote is awesome. The only thing negative that I can say about it is that some people (myself include) have had trouble with the charging cradle. But unfortunately that is for another topic in another forum.

· Legend
116 Posts
I got one for Christmas and love it. Be sure to download the new version of the software from the Logitech website. You'll find the link on the Home Page you set up. The software that came on the CD that was included in my package was an old version. The new one works much more smoothly.

· Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
I got one for christmas also, just got my HR20 installed Sunday. The remote was easy to setup initially now I just have to figure out how to get all the added buttons from the HR20 remote in there so I can do everything. :) I've been recommending Harmony remotes for a while now and no one I have told hasn't loved the remote.

· Mentor
49 Posts
I also have one and absolutely love it too. It really makes it easy to run everything associated with surround sound, DVD players, TV, and satelite. My wife doesn't have to call me at work anymore to run a DVD for the kids.

· Registered
5,451 Posts
I recommend to those who are setting up the remote to select the device as a PVR and then put in HR20-700 as the model.

The library codes for that selection works the best. There have been other posts of users having issues on how things power on/off using devices like HR20.

· Legend
160 Posts
I agree with all the kudos for the 880. I like it so much I have two (one for my office and one for the living room):D :D :D

4 Posts
I have had the 880 for a year or so, used it with HR10 and now the HR20. Take some time to set it up. Need to customize the buttons etc etc etc. Once done works very good.

No universal remote is perfect, but this one gets very close

mike

· Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
gbubar said:
I agree with all the kudos for the 880. I like it so much I have two (one for my office and one for the living room):D :D :D
I actually love the Harmony 880 more now with the HR20 than I did with the HR10. I didn't even care for it too much before. With the HR10, there was such a lag with the response. I was thinking of returning it because the "Down" direction with the 'ring' would work every 7th press.

As it turned out I was pleasantly surpised as to the responsiveness with the HR20. I thought it was the remote.

The skip to tick works as others have mentioned with holding it down than one more press.

I added the color buttons to the LCD as well as the ACTIVE, BACK. LIST is there already by default.

30 sec slip works great too.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
The coolest thing about the 880 is the activities. Once you figure out what is needed (instructions not so good) you can have a blast setting things up. For example I use watch tv for the wife, it just turns on the tv and my dish receiver. Then I set up an activity for PVR where the receiver turns on with the dish and my tv.

My wife never could figure out our DVD player so I set her up on that too.

Then for hits and shiggles I programed our window A/C , It worked, he, he.

Then for more shiggles I tried my wifes roomba, it worked too. Now my wife (or me) can run the whole dang room on one remote.

Now to get all my old X-10 stuff hooked back up, Dim lights , ect. :lol:

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Brantel said:
I'm a proud owner of a 676 (under $100) and it works like a charm as other have reported.

By far the best money I've spent on a remote.

Wish I would have bought it long ago!

· DBSTalk Club Member
88 Posts
I have the 880, and hate it. It was extremely easy to setup, and works as advertised, however I hate the layout of it. I find it hard to use one handed. In fact, I haven't used it in months. If the numbers were at the top instead of the bottom, It would be my only remote. With the number pad all the way at the bottom, it's become just a paper weight for me.

266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks bagleyb, but I find that I use the guide more to change channels not the number pad. I almost never use the number buttons.

· AllStar
82 Posts
bagleyb said:
I have the 880, and hate it. It was extremely easy to setup, and works as advertised, however I hate the layout of it. I find it hard to use one handed. In fact, I haven't used it in months. If the numbers were at the top instead of the bottom, It would be my only remote. With the number pad all the way at the bottom, it's become just a paper weight for me.
Like "Radio Enginerd", I also have the 676. In my opinion, it's much better than the 880 for the following reasons:

1. With the 880, you have to place the remote in the charging cradle to keep it charged. I don't have a power outlet at my coffee and that's where I like to keep my remote.

2. People have reported problems with the 880 remote not making good contact with the charging cradle. With the 676, just keep a fresh supply of AAA batteries on hand.

3. The button layout on the 880 sucks! You can't easily find the button you want by "touch" and are forced to keep looking at the remote. The 676 button layout makes more sense and can easily be used in the dark (even without looking at the lighted buttons).

4. The 676 can do EVERYTHING the 880 can do!

I hated the 880, but I love the 676. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.