DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· AllStar
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was I, and as a geek by trade, I decided to go for it, even though a friend said it was a disaster and I has read this forum and all the problems listed.
Actually, D* said they didn't have any units, and I had resolved to just get a regular receiver. After a long scheduling fiasco, a truck finally arrived and lo and behold the guy in the truck offered to sell me the H20 DVR. I took it.
The short summary: this DVR sucks.
The supposed features are really great, but the thing just doesn't work consistantly. And mine is a brand new unit with the latest EF software.
The good news is I expect it works fine as a regular receiver, if you reset it once and a while. So I'm not any worse off than than I would be with one of those, except for the $200. My hope is that they get all the bugs fixed with just a software update and that within 6 months I have a good dvr.
But if you are looking for a functioning dvr, don't get this unit. WAIT till the forum concensus is that it is fixed.
If you are a geek and want to play with the unit, and don't mind waiting for 6 months till they get it to work like it should, than go for it. You probably won't be worse off than if you just got the receiver... as I said, except for the 200 bucks.
Just my commentary for anyone in the position of ordering like I was 2 weeks ago!
C

· Icon
731 Posts
Sorry to hear you are unhappy.. I, coming from DISH 3 months ago, am very happy! I feel this is an amazing unit (besides the current issues- none more severe than annoyances for me) and overall it's better than anything DISH has to offer. I have never seen a TiVo so i can't comment on that. I have never had only a couple missed recordings in 3 months.. but have had to red button reset a few times... never a total reset.

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Sorry you're unhappy and out $200. Mine was a free upgrade so that didn't matter to me. I have had two Series 1 DirecTivos, one in the master bedroom and the second now moved to my daughter's room, and I don't miss it. Our HR20 has worked great for the last month, first with 0xE3 and now EF. I've had one Superfan gamed deleted two weeks ago (other NFLST games have been fine) and I've required one red-button reset, again about two weeks ago. That's it.

Not everyone has the problems you see reported here.

· Legend
221 Posts
With all apologies--I highly suspect--even among the world of geeks--that most would disagree. Your position says you are out the 200 and then compare this to a non DVR receiver? Hardly--what you don't use any trick play features, get real.

Sure this product has short comings, but one must need need to be a geek to understand features, workarounds, and yet to be release functionality. I know there are some people with more problems than others---but who is to say in many cases, that they even have all the features set correctly for the TV they have? Who is to say that the new HDMI standard is actually built to the standard in all all these TV models? Also Most TVs now are software configured and occasionally need to be reset themselves. This not to mention that many originating locals don't fully understand the characteristics of the digital technology they are deploying and for sure many don't properly monitor it yet.

No this product is not perfect and it doesn't interface to perfect products either. It is however the best first introduction of a HDDVR product I have seen with the most ambitious feature plan yet! Could they have done better--absolutely--and I think they are listening from features to rolling implementations so they can mitigate the impact of newly introduced bugs. Now if someone wants to suggest a better, more cost efficient coding process and developer tool set to improve both the end product AND development time to market--go at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.