Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am a current DirecTV HD Tivo subscriber and am thinking of moving to Dish. However, a few financial things concern me that, hopefully, someone here can help me with.

Using Dish Network's DishBuilder on their website I selected the HD Gold (the only HD package that carries Boomerang - it kills me how they added HD to the America 120 package and CHANGED the channel contents). That package price is $69.99. I am interested in the Dish HD DVR as well as an additional DVR for the TV that my kids use.

DishBuilder will initally allow me to select the number of Std TVs I have (1) and select the number of HD TVs I have (1). They further ask if I would like "to pause and record live TV?" I selected yes, and the number 1 under standard tv. However, once I select the HD TVs I have and the desire for DVR, the Std DVR number reverts back to "0". I believe that this has something to do with Dish's ability to function as one DVR for up to 2 TVs. The problem with that is that the tvs will now be SHARING the DVRs resources (i.e. tuners). That, for me, would not be acceptable.

The only solution to my problem is to have two DVRs installed (1 HD and 1 Standard). However, I am disturbed because Dish wants to charge me $5.98 DVR service fee PER DVR (x2) as well as a $5.00 lease fee for the other DVR/Receiver.

DirecTV has been charging a DVR service fee per account, NOT per box. However, if I must accept this difference in charging practice, then so be it. But I do not feel that I should pay a DVR AND Lease fee for the same box. This is nickle diming to the extream.

Hopefully someone will be able to set me straight. Perhaps I am missing some setup tricks/hints. If there are any deals that I could ask for, then that too would be greatly appreciated.

R/
Oky.

·
Legend
127 Posts
Just curious, but why would sharing the tuners with both TV's be unacceptable. Maybe we can alleviate your concerns on that.

I have an HD TV and an SD TV connected to my VIP622 (the HD DVR) and it works wonderfully. I can watch recordings from the DVR on both TV's, and since they both have their own output, there is never any conflict.

·
Legend
174 Posts
Jolard said:
Just curious, but why would sharing the tuners with both TV's be unacceptable. Maybe we can alleviate your concerns on that.

I have an HD TV and an SD TV connected to my VIP622 (the HD DVR) and it works wonderfully. I can watch recordings from the DVR on both TV's, and since they both have their own output, there is never any conflict.
TiVo users are very "into" using both tuners and their buffers to switch between programs while watching LIVE TV. I just switched from an HD TiVo to the Dish 622 and 625 DVR. The HD 622 controls just my HD set, while the SD 625 controls my other two SD sets.

To the OP, I would go with the 622 in single mode, which gets you the dual tuner functionality you want, and the 625 for your second TV. If you leave a phone line attached they will waive the 2nd receiver fees.

-elbo

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
elbodude said:
TiVo users are very "into" using both tuners and their buffers to switch between programs while watching LIVE TV. I just switched from an HD TiVo to the Dish 622 and 625 DVR. The HD 622 controls just my HD set, while the SD 625 controls my other two SD sets.

To the OP, I would go with the 622 in single mode, which gets you the dual tuner functionality you want, and the 625 for your second TV. If you leave a phone line attached they will waive the 2nd receiver fees.

-elbo
You understand exactly, although when you phrase it like "into", I feel like I am apart of some cult or something!:)

The info regarding having the phone line attached is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks!!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
okypinoky said:
The info regarding having the phone line attached is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks!!
All the fees listed on DishBuilder assume the phone line is connected to a dual output receiver. You should add $5/month to anything listed if you don't connect such a receiver to a phone line. You should NOT think that connecting the phone line will waive the $5/month that appears as a lease fee for each receiver beyond the Primary 622. The 622 and 625 combo would have two $5.98 DVR fees as well as the $5 lease like your 1st post listed. The Lease fee covers the mirror of progamming to an Additional Receiver (625 in your proposed setup).

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
Boomerang isn't in AT120. You need AT180 or HD Gold to get that channel (the package contents don't change w/ HD package).

If you want two kids to have independent outputs, you'd need the 625 for them. If they share a TV or have separate TVs but a common receiver (and can share it!), you might be able to PURCHASE a used 508 DVR. It is only a single tuner with ~ 60 hours recording time, but it doesn't have the $5.98 DVR fee. I guess it would depend on whether the kids had become cult members already.;) There is also a 721 dual tuner (single output) DVR w/o the $5.98 DVR fee. The 625 is the only SD DVR you can pick to LEASE as a new subscriber.

Lastly, check family and friends for existing DISH subscribers. They (anybody that already subscribes) can provide a ClubDISH code that would waive the $49.99 Activation fee. You would still get that $50 credited back to your account and the friend/family member would get $50 over 10 months.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,450 Posts
okypinoky said:
The only solution to my problem is to have two DVRs installed (1 HD and 1 Standard). However, I am disturbed because Dish wants to charge me $5.98 DVR service fee PER DVR (x2) as well as a $5.00 lease fee for the other DVR/Receiver.
Your understanding is accurate.
DirecTV has been charging a DVR service fee per account, NOT per box. However, if I must accept this difference in charging practice, then so be it. But I do not feel that I should pay a DVR AND Lease fee for the same box. This is nickle diming to the extream.
So what would you do for those who bought their receivers outright? The only difference between D* and E* in this instance is that E* charges the DVR fee for all DVRs. All other charges are essentially the same.

I think a good chunk of your confusion comes from being from an organization that was based on the consumer "owning" the reciever and moving towards a leasing model. While Dish went towards the lease model first, they still allow you to buy a receiver if you want. Financially, it may not make much sense, but you can do it nonetheless.

TC+ and AT120 are not the same package. They each have exclusive channels and each has a winner that the other lacks. Dish has an advantage to sports fans with the availability of the Fox RSN in AT120 where DirecTV subscribers must go for the full sports pack.

If the choice were easy, there would be only one provider.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,450 Posts
CABill said:
They (anybody that already subscribes) can provide a ClubDISH code that would waive the $49.99 Activation fee. You would still get that $50 credited back to your account and the friend/family member would get $50 over 10 months.
Or you may be able to pay the activation fee and get out of the 18 month contract. Making significant changes with DirecTV often results in a 24 month contract.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
harsh said:
Your understanding is accurate.So what would you do for those who bought their receivers outright? The only difference between D* and E* in this instance is that E* charges the DVR fee for all DVRs. All other charges are essentially the same.

I think a good chunk of your confusion comes from being from an organization that was based on the consumer "owning" the reciever and moving towards a leasing model. While Dish went towards the lease model first, they still allow you to buy a receiver if you want. Financially, it may not make much sense, but you can do it nonetheless.

TC+ and AT120 are not the same package. They each have exclusive channels and each has a winner that the other lacks. Dish has an advantage to sports fans with the availability of the Fox RSN in AT120 where DirecTV subscribers must go for the full sports pack.

If the choice were easy, there would be only one provider.
I must have something wrong then with both TC and TC+ I have always received the FOX RSN's and the Comcast RSN.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.