DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade to HD (again). We tried Dish HD a few years ago when they had only a few channels and ended up canceling and keeping Dish SD (Top 200) because we use our DVR too much.

So yesterday, I called ATT|Dish about getting a free HD DVR and was told "no, we don't offer those free" which I know is BS. I then went and ordered DirectTV HD through the "NFL Sunday Ticket $74.99/4mos, free Premiere package, free HD DVR" promo yesterday. Install date of next Tuesday 9/30.

I called Dish back, asked to speak to retentions and told them why. Someone there offered a free VIP 722 HD DVR + 4mos. of HD service free (a savings of $40). Rolling Eyes Receiver swap this Sunday 9/28.

I call Direct back. Granted I don't even have ANYTHING from them yet other than an appointment to get their service installed. I was offered $100 first month credit (essentially giving me the whole service free for a month).

Basically I'm looking for opinions on both. From what I gather over a lot of Google searching and trolling the threads at other sites like AVSforum and DBSTalk:

Pros for Dish:
-Dish DVRs are better than Directs
-Already have service so no 2yr agreement in my case
-HD DVR accessible from 2nd tv (our bedroom)

Cons for Dish:
-Less HD channels (no FX HD or SpikeHD)
-Packages aren't as good as Direct

Pros for Direct:
-Direct has more HD channels (roughly 25 more than Dish)
-Direct has Sunday Ticket (obviously)
-Cheaper HD package price with more channels (FX HD for Rescue Me and Damages, SpikeHD for TUF/UFC)

Cons for Direct:
-Have to sign 2yr agreement
-Not familiar with their DVR "system"

I guess it's sort of a decision between whether:

-Direct is good enough for a 2yr deal to have the extra channels

or

-whether I should stand pat with Dish, take the HD DVR + no new contract (assuming there is none; no extension was mentioned when I talked to retentions nor did he say I'd have to sign a new deal) and hope they add more channels in the next few months like they are saying they will.

Seems to me like Direct is better at adding channels than Dish is, and Direct seems to add more at one time as well.

Programming wise, I like the fact that Direct has separate channels for Noggin and The N; my 3 1/2 year old daughter likes watching Noggin and we can't explain to her satisfaction :D why Dish switches from a Noggin to a The N feed at 6pm.

Again I watch Spike for TUF/UFC programming and primarily Fox (2) for everything else. My wife has been watching a lot of the Food Network lately (Iron Chef America especially). On that note - why Dish has a separate stream of Food Network in HD than they do in the SD format, I'll never know. (It's not simulcast on Dish, apparently.)

We have 2 tv's hooked up, 1 30" HDTV and 1 27" SDTV. I refuse to get the tv in my daughter's room hooked up because I don't want her staying in her room all day/night watching tv. I'm planning on buying a 42" or larger LCD with my portion of our tax rebate check next year. Right now our DVR-522 is hooked up to both of our tv's and I usually watch Fox via OTA HD. (Prison Break, House, Fringe...then flip between 2-1 and 4-1 for HD football on Sundays)

TIA for any thoughts/opinions/rants etc etc etc :)

· Godfather
334 Posts
zero2dash said:
I'm looking to upgrade to HD (again). We tried Dish HD a few years ago when they had only a few channels and ended up canceling and keeping Dish SD (Top 200) because we use our DVR too much.
If you like the way your DVR works, then I'd forget about switching to Directv. I've had mine since Spring of 2006 and I really wish I still had my Tivo. I'll take the slow performance of the Tivo over the unreliability of the Directv DVR any day.

Having said that, I wouldn't miss Spike at all, but I would miss FXHD for sure.

· Godfather
274 Posts
Zero,

You didn't mention locals in your post. Do both D* and E* provide locals in your area? SD or HD versions, both? Do you have an antenna for OTA? Check the DVR subforums for both E* and D*. The HR21/AM21 combo is having playback problems with OTA on D*. The E* dvr's are having problems with audio dropouts with recorded OTA programming. Just a heads up if you're using OTA for locals. I don't know how common the problems are but there are *some* subs with issues.

Good Luck! Both services have very good HD PQ.

Rick

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IDRick said:
Zero,

You didn't mention locals in your post. Do both D* and E* provide locals in your area? SD or HD versions, both? Do you have an antenna for OTA? Check the DVR subforums for both E* and D*. The HR21/AM21 combo is having playback problems with OTA on D*. The E* dvr's are having problems with audio dropouts with recorded OTA programming. Just a heads up if you're using OTA for locals. I don't know how common the problems are but there are *some* subs with issues.

Good Luck! Both services have very good HD PQ.

Rick
Yeah, they both have locals in my area (right outside of St. Louis). I also have OTA HD through my tv's built in tuner (if I need it).

*sigh* I wish I knew which to "keep". I called to cancel the Direct and the gal mentioned that Dish would still have me sign a new deal even for an upgrade. I called Dish back and was told that's normally what happens, but there are notes in my account for 'no contract'.

Initially the Direct will be much cheaper for the 4 months at $74.99. We pay $82 for Dish right now (Top 200 + locals, with Showtime, Cinemax and Baby First). Even at $104 full price, I think the Direct would be a better deal (since once we add HD Silver with Dish, our bill would be $92)... Most of you guys seem to have been using Direct for several years now (as we have with Dish). I guess the 2yr agreement really isn't that big of a deal; I mean it's not like Direct is going to go downhill within the next 2yrs if they've been around this long.

I guess I'll have to stick with Dish for the DVR with the HR-21 problems I'm seeing on the Direct side. I can just see my wife now going crazy if the DVR doesn't work right. (Not that I wouldn't be upset too, I'd just like to think I'm more tolerable of malfunctioning electronics than she is. :p) Our Dish 522 has (mostly) been trouble-free.

· Legend
157 Posts
zero2dash said:
Yeah, they both have locals in my area (right outside of St. Louis). I also have OTA HD through my tv's built in tuner (if I need it).

*sigh* I wish I knew which to "keep". I called to cancel the Direct and the gal mentioned that Dish would still have me sign a new deal even for an upgrade. I called Dish back and was told that's normally what happens, but there are notes in my account for 'no contract'.

Initially the Direct will be much cheaper for the 4 months at $74.99. We pay $82 for Dish right now (Top 200 + locals, with Showtime, Cinemax and Baby First). Even at $104 full price, I think the Direct would be a better deal (since once we add HD Silver with Dish, our bill would be $92)... Most of you guys seem to have been using Direct for several years now (as we have with Dish). I guess the 2yr agreement really isn't that big of a deal; I mean it's not like Direct is going to go downhill within the next 2yrs if they've been around this long.

I guess I'll have to stick with Dish for the DVR with the HR-21 problems I'm seeing on the Direct side. I can just see my wife now going crazy if the DVR doesn't work right. (Not that I wouldn't be upset too, I'd just like to think I'm more tolerable of malfunctioning electronics than she is. :p) Our Dish 522 has (mostly) been trouble-free.
You probably should have called dish directly in the first place instead of thru att. I currently am a dish customer and also was a previous dish customer. At the time I was upgrading to HD I was with directv and they wouldnt offer a free hd drv upgrade they wanted $199. I couldnt see paying that much to upgrade to a leased receiver. When I left they tried to get me to stay and dropped the fee to $99. Then I got something in the mail from dish to come back and receive a free dvr upgrade. I can say I am very happy with that decision. The 622 is a great receiver and especially being able to use 1 receiver for 2 tvs. Frankly I have never understood why dish is the only service that offers a dual output for their receivers. The only disappointment is having to wait for the announcement for the next new hd channels being added before the end of the yr.

· Godfather
274 Posts
zero2dash said:

Zero,

Check out the AAA offer with Directv. You can save $10/month for 24 months plus have reduced acquistion fees for up to two dvrs. The choice plus with HD dvr is a tremendous package. You can get more HD on Direct for less than Dish. Really depends on your tv viewing interests...

I'm a cable sub that is riding the fence, trying to decide between the two sat services. My area has challenges with locals that will be much better next spring. The WAF is huge. My wife likes the cableco dvr and would be very unhappy if the new dvr system doesn't perform as well... The motorolas have been rock solid, so I'm struggling with my decision as well.

All the best,

Rick

· Legend
178 Posts
I have been with D* for 13 yrs. Have an H20 and HR20 DVR. Have had no problems with the DVR worth mentioning. Service has been excellent. Have no expeirence with Dish, but being an avid reader of this forum, and based on personal experience, I don't think going with D* is any cause for concern. You are the one who has to decide, I can only relate my experience. I highly doubt you would regret getting D*, but you could be one of the unlucky few that does experience a problem. On the other hand, you could experience a problem with Dish also just like any other company. The offer you relate from D* is a good one, as is the AAA program. If you have a friend that has D* you can call and give his/her account number and receive an additional $10 a month off for 5 months.

· Hall Of Fame
3,913 Posts
IDRick said:
Zero,

Check out the AAA offer with Directv. You can save $10/month for 24 months plus have reduced acquistion fees for up to two dvrs. The choice plus with HD dvr is a tremendous package. You can get more HD on Direct for less than Dish. Really depends on your tv viewing interests...

I'm a cable sub that is riding the fence, trying to decide between the two sat services. My area has challenges with locals that will be much better next spring. The WAF is huge. My wife likes the cableco dvr and would be very unhappy if the new dvr system doesn't perform as well... The motorolas have been rock solid, so I'm struggling with my decision as well.
IDRick is correct that the AAA discount $10 for 24 Mo and a $100 off a second receiver is a great deal. And that is in addition to the NFL special. If you really don't need NFL Ticket and premium channels like HBO, you can drop down to the HD DVR Plus package and get $18 off/mo for 12 mo. So that package is $73 - $18 - $10 = $45/mo. You don't get a free HD DVR, but you get $100 off up to 2 HD DVR (2 for $198).

IDRick, on the Motorola DVR you are lucky yours is rock solid. I had 2 of them with cable, which I just dropped in September. One was solid the other would tell me it's full and then would not record a program. It really wasn't full, but you had to delete a program to get it working again and then it might only be 40% full. Also, the commands from the remote were very sluggish and sometimes took over 10 seconds to actually work. The DirecTV DVR's actually have some nice features, but I do have one that occasionally doesn't record the program, just a grey screen and ask to delete. You can have problems with any brand of DVR. Despite that I am still glad I made the change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.