DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of abandoning my 722k/612/622 setup in favor of a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I have a few questions that don't seem to be directly answered and I don't have enough info to extrpolate answers...

1) In the Hopper manual, to connect a Joey it says, "Connect the HOME VIDEO NETWORK output on the back of the Hopper HD DVR to an
existing wall cable outlet using a coaxial cable." First, there's no such output on the back of the Hopper. Other things I've read says that there's a coax from the dish that runs through a splitter type device to go to a Joey. True? In other words...Do I really need to run a coax from the Hopper to the Joey or does it come indirectly off the dish? I currently have 3 coax coming off the dish to the 3 rxs.

2) What's the advantage of having a Joey connected to my home network? (ethernet)

3) I have 3 EHDs. Has anyone had issues with re-using them when switching from one system to the next?

4) My manager and I have a running disagreement. He said he called DISH to upgrade and they told him that to have HD from a Joey you had to run HDMI from the Hopper to the Joey. That doesn't make sense to me as their aren't enough connections to do that. So, a coax runs from the dish to a 'box', splits to the Hopper and Joey. The Joey can then watch HD stuff from the Hopper. Is that correct?

5) Once connected, can the Joey access the apps, like Pandora, from the Hopper?

Thanks people!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I see the whole deal with the coax. Good, that makes switching easy. I had visions of running coax everywhere.

How about the ethernet question? What does an ethernet connection to a Joey buy me?

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Joey on Ethernet directly allows for usign Internet Apps without enabling Bridging on the Hopper...which is silly, because bridging on the Hopper is quite useful.

Joey on Ethernet at 100Mbps, however, also allows you to (unsupportedly) do without the coax, because for the Joey the coax isn't a satellite connection, it's a MoCA connection.

Which is to say it'll work, but Dish doesn't actually support that configuration, nor will they acknowledge it works.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RasputinAXP said:
... because for the Joey the coax isn't a satellite connection, it's a MoCA connection.

Which is to say it'll work, but Dish doesn't actually support that configuration, nor will they acknowledge it works.
The Hopper manual has a chapter on connecting the Joey. It's completely wrong based on what I've seen here. They do say that the Joey is connected to the Hopper via coax, so it seems they 'should' support MoCA although MoCA is not specifically mentioned.

Seems like there's a few, uh, disconnects, along the way betwen what is and what DISH says.

·
Godfather
363 Posts
Personally I would recommend 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey for you. Because you currently have 6 tuners and will be dropping to only 3 with 1 Hopper. Unless you record primarily the 4 major networks then I think you will run out of tuners fairly quickly.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got installed yesterday. 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys. gtal98 suggested 2 Hoppers. However, in my case, the 2 client boxes rarely had anything recorded so the Joeys make perfect sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.