DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me say I hate this unit. Well, hate is a strong word, but hate it is. I have now had two defective HR20's that will not read the second tuner. This time the tech found a short in the line that might be causing it.

I kept my HR 10-250 and when I plugged in one of the lines it would not read, so I was sure that was it. He checked the line, found the short. All the lines were working. Plug back in HR20 box No. 2 and still no second tuner. We restart, go through all the trouble shooting steps and nothing.

I was so sure that it was going to work, but the tech thinks that the short in the line caused the second tuner to go out. I am just praying that it is. One thing I have noticed is that when I look at the signal stuff on tuner two it jumps transponders like 95 0 95 0 97 0 etc. etc. etc.

That is why we thought it was a cable issue. I just pray that HR20 Box No. 3 works, because I am getting sick and tired of this.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
It's quite possible that the second tuner was fried by a shorted cable. Your signal readings suggest that the even transponders are all dead, so that tuner is not able to generate the proper 13/18V switching signal for those transponders. Hopefully the third HR20 is the charm.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
glennb said:
Really ?

The design spec. for the HR20 doesn't have output short protection in the event of a shorted output.
I am sure it does... but none the less... when a voltage is going accross the line, and something isn't expected to be there...

Damage could occur.

·
Godfather
320 Posts
Seems your problem is not the HR20(s) but your cables. So, why 'hate' the HR20? I guess I have been lucky... only 1 MPEG 4 recording problem... all else is good.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it didn't short out my HR 10-250, because I tried all the lines in it to try and prove it wasn't a cable, of course the HR 10-250 didn't read a signal with the short. The next one doesn't have an excuse. I have new cables, new LNB and a new unit. I am just praying the next one works.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
I had 3 bad HR20's with the same problem, defective 2nd tuner.

Originally I had 2 HR20's installed. One worked fine, the other had a bad 2nd tuner. Swapping cables, even swapping the good unit with the bad one, the problem stayed with the unit. Moving my SAT-T60 and R10 around showed the same thing, they worked fine no matter which location they were at. I received 2 more bad units with the same problem, now, waiting for another unit. Unfortunately, I was told that the ability to order units has been taken away from CSR's and retention. I finally got an advanced tech who told me that the units are not shipping and won't ship from the factory for about 3 weeks. I was offered an H20 and even offered a refund if I could find one at BB. I'll wait until they start shipping again.

The techs and supervisors who came out checked the wiring, replaced the multiswitch and checked the LNB's. No trouble found except for the units.

I don't hate the unit. I do dislike the fact that there are problems that weren't sufficiently adddressed with the release process and being part of a beta program that I didn't sign up for.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
yarbage said:
Well it didn't short out my HR 10-250, because I tried all the lines in it to try and prove it wasn't a cable, of course the HR 10-250 didn't read a signal with the short. The next one doesn't have an excuse. I have new cables, new LNB and a new unit. I am just praying the next one works.
I am curious, were you able to order a replacement unit? The story I got was that retailers have minimal stock in their distribution centers, D* has none, and the factory will not ship again for about 3 weeks. I am taking this with a grain of salt due to misinformation I have received every time I call D*.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.