DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had previous threads about my first two HR20's and their problems.

So I get another refurb today. This one was clean and needed a guided setup to get it configured (no shows recorded by the previous user)

Got it setup and called DirecTV to get my programming on it.

This one boots (which was a problem with the first unit), so far hasn't locked up, and gets my mpeg4 locals (the second unit worked except the mpeg4 locals).

So my fingers are crossed that this unit works fully. And then I can join the rest of you and find out how well my HR20 does actually recording TV!!!!

Funny thing is DirecTV sent me another HR20 for some reason. It will be here tomorrow, so if this one does fail I have another coming tomorrow!

·
Godfather
356 Posts
LOL similar situation with me too.

My first 2 crapped out (wouldn't boot up after reset) as I was on the phone activating my 3rd (brand new) box with D* a fourth (refurb) showed up. Ofcourse, I refused it and I have been running so/so since. At least with a red button reset this one does boot back up. Good Luck!

·
Godfather
256 Posts
LockMD said:
LOL similar situation with me too.

My first 2 crapped out (wouldn't boot up after reset) as I was on the phone activating my 3rd (brand new) box with D* a fourth (refurb) showed up. Ofcourse, I refused it and I have been running so/so since. At least with a red button reset this one does boot back up. Good Luck!
Crazy! I'm actually setting up my third as we speak. Arrived earlier today and just got a chance to hook it up. It's downloading the OOEB software right now so I'm taking a break. First one crapped out, second just kept locking up and finally locked up to the point where I couldn't get it unlocked. I'm really hoping this one works out. I'm getting tired of this game. Are they just going to keep sending us a 4th, 5th, 6th and so on. The problems obviously alot bigger and sending out a refurbed box is just a temporary fix. I hope they get it together. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Italfra1 said:
The problems obviously alot bigger and just sending out a refurbed box. I hope they get it together. Good luck guys.
I'm sure you are right...the people that are having problems are being sent boxes that may be no better than what they had, because so many of the issues are software and not hardware at all. That is not to say there aren't HW issues, just that so many sw issues have been clearly defined that it's kinda hard to sort them out.

One saving grace for me: my Samsung 360 was crashing several times per day (after years of flawless performance), so I had no choice but to get rid of it. They offered me a deal I couldn't refuse so I got the HR20. So, I already had a crashing box (my theory being it was freaking out with new stuff in the data stream), so the HR20 didn't have to be perfect. Now, it turns out, it has been FAR more reliable than the 360 for me. Six weeks of use, not one crash or lockup. Only one missed recording (other than one NFL-ST), no HDMI problems, nada.

Of course, I don't have the virus that has gotten so many of the other users....ooops...that's not a virus, it's MPEG-4! Sorry about that. Thank God they HAVE to get MPEG-4 working, as it is the future of all channels, from the looks of it.

NB: I should have said the 360 was near flawless...even when new it would die with bad psip info from the HD OTA Locals, and if I lost signal (precip), sometimes it would lock up....but these were very rare occurrences until a few months ago. (and by then psip had been fixed).

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had my first lock up with the new unit.

Had it set to tape Million Dollar Baby on HBOHD this afternoon, also had it set to record Wheel of fortune at 7:30pm (since it was supposedly in HD on my mpeg4 local (channel 9).

Anyway Wheel of fortune wasn't in HD so I just deleted the recording while it was recording (not sure if that is the proper procedure or not).

Then I go to play million dollar baby to check it out. Select play from the menu on the left and the unit freezes right there. Doesn't remove the menu and start playing.

Remote won't work nor the buttons on the front of the unit.

Hit red button. When it came back up I went and started playing million dollar baby and it played.

If I don't have anymore issues tonight, I will probably reject the fourth unit tomorrow. If it keeps locking up, maybe I should accept the fourth unit! :)

·
Godfather
256 Posts
belboz said:
Had my first lock up with the new unit.

Had it set to tape Million Dollar Baby on HBOHD this afternoon, also had it set to record Wheel of fortune at 7:30pm (since it was supposedly in HD on my mpeg4 local (channel 9).

Anyway Wheel of fortune wasn't in HD so I just deleted the recording while it was recording (not sure if that is the proper procedure or not).

Then I go to play million dollar baby to check it out. Select play from the menu on the left and the unit freezes right there. Doesn't remove the menu and start playing.

Remote won't work nor the buttons on the front of the unit.

Hit red button. When it came back up I went and started playing million dollar baby and it played.

If I don't have anymore issues tonight, I will probably reject the fourth unit tomorrow. If it keeps locking up, maybe I should accept the fourth unit! :)
I installed my third today and so far so good but I've barely watched any t.v. or searching through the guide. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My last box was ridiculous. Locking up 3 to 4 times per night. What scares me is the lockup you just described. It's such a tempermental piece of equipment and if it locks up once on something as simple as going into your setup the odds are that it's going to continue. At least you have a 4th on hand. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.