DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Just a total falsehood.

First off, only $100 for a cable package?

Average pricing for DirecTV is over $130 a month, even with any services from cable/Sat. you can have Broadcast fees, RSN fees, DVR fees, Box fees.

This is what I have Streaming, no Live TV service and it includes the vast majority of content on Live TV except certain sporting events.

All in yearly prices because of some deals, all commercial free except ESPN+

Hulu with Disney, ESPN+ -$240 (need ESPN+ for the Red Wings).
Paramount+ with Showtime-$129
Peacock-$50
HBOMAX-$149
AMC+-$30
Apple TV-$44 ( bought gift cards when on sale at Costco, paid up until 2026)
MLB-$59 ( wait until May for the better price) need it for the Tigers since I live in Florida now.
Netflix-$240

So, $941 divide by 12 is $78.42

Show me one cable package that is that price with HBO and Showtime.

Then of course, with cable/sat Netflix and Apple TV is not available

So, without the premium stuff, but including sports because DirecTV/Cable has the RSN-
Hulu with Disney, ESPN+ -$240 (need ESPN for the Red Wings).
Paramount+ -$99
Peacock-$50
AMC+-$30
MLB-$59 ( wait until May for the better price) need it for the Tigers since I live in Florida now).

So $478 divide by 12 is, roughly, $40 a month.

· Registered
205 Posts
I have Preferred Xtra / HR54 / AM21 and with my DirecTV promos I'm paying $91/mo out the door. No RSN fee on this package. I also have Cox Gigabit + digital phone (Cox makes you take it or the internet is higher lol) for like $119 I think, but it has a 1.25TB data cap and to get rid of that for streaming is an extra $50/mo. No thanks. Plus, no streaming service has all the Los Angeles locals and I'd lose the OTA integration. Plus Preferred Xtra has a lot more channels. Don't care about sports, so love that I don't pay the $12/mo RSN fee on this package.
So I was correct, I pay $78 that get the vast majority of content that is on your preferred xtra package ( and more) with HBO, Showtime and Netflix, plus all the exclusive stuff not available to DirecTV, like the shows on Paramount for example.

or a lot cheaper, $40 for the vast majority of content on your Live TV Package and the exclusive stuff.

Gigabit, no data cap, is $100 for me.

So, with Premium, $178 or without $140.

If you did Cox, no data cap, $169 + my no premium, no mlb $35 package, your price would be $204, so a savings of $7, but gain a bunch of content

· Registered
205 Posts
Streaming Services are hiking prices all the time & will eventually be as much as cable/satellite bills. It might not be right now or in the near future, but they will be. You still will have to pay for the content you want.
That is a ‘duh statement, of course it will go up, everything does.

Do you see Traditional Providers starting a price freeze so streaming can catch up?

· Registered
205 Posts
I have DirecTV but I don't get why some think streaming is more expensive. If a person subscribed to these ad free ones. Total would be $80. Are people forgetting the extra fee's cable and satellite have? Charter's select plan is $80 but without the equipment and broadcast fees. Discovery+ and HB0 Max could raise their price one they are combined. Same if Disney buys the rest of Hulu combines that into Disney+.

Paramount+ - $10
Disney+ - $11
Discovery+ $7
HBO/Max - $15
Netflix - $20
Hulu - $8
Prime Video - $9
I forgot two others streaming Peacock - $10.00 and Apple TV+ - $7. That would be a total of $97. Not sure how popular Peacock is and if they have great first run shows?

There are pricing option to what you posted, deal on combining services or yearly, also discounts, for example Paramount+ is half off the yearly plan with code-ALLYEAR, 50% off Peacock-SAVEBIG and $1.99 Hulu, HBO and Discovery+ are on sale right now also.

This is what I have currently, I dropped a couple of services since I last posted this
also Hulu, Netflix, Paramount+ I pay for using Gift Cards I get with my Credit Card Points-

This is yearly total for each service that I pay and commercial free-
Paramount+ with Showtime-$129 (all Viacom/CBS Programing)
Peacock-$50( all Universal/NBC Content)
AMC+-$30
Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN+-$240(all ABC/Fox/Nat Geo/Disney Content)
HBO-$149
Netflix-$240
OTA-Free
ABC/CBS/NBC News apps-free
Pluto/Tubi/etc-free

So a yearly total of $838, divide by 12=$69.83 a month.

Also, all in 1080P/4K and DD+ sound, which you cannot get with Traditional Providers.

I do have Prime, but I have it for shipping, which pays for itself since I buy all non-perishable stuff from them, cleaning supplies, dog food, etc.

· Registered
205 Posts
DirecTV has always had dolby digital sound and 720i/1080i. AMC+ doesn't have 4K, neither does OTA, ABC/CBS/NBC and Hulu Live (and Hulu Live is 720p on most devices except for like 6).

I count AT LEAST 13 apps you just listed lol. Ain't nobody got time for that haha.
I have lots of time, I retired 3 years ago.

First, Dolby Digital+ is a higher bitrate , better format .

Second, never wrote Hulu Live, wrote Hulu which went 1080P a while ago and started offering 4K a few years ago, The Handmaid’s Tale was the first, now they have quite a few, for example a lot of FX’s shows are in 4K on Hulu, discovered it when I watched The Old Man, now they have too many to list.

Paramount+ has a lot in 4K, including CBS shows, even Seal Team is now in 4K, too many to list.
Peacock-1080P
AMC-1080P
HBO-1080P/4K
Netflix-1080P/4K( way too many to list in 4K)
Disney+-1080P/4K(way too many to list in 4K)
ESPN+-1080P

Amazed that you brought up AMC lack of 4K when you have a service with barely any, not even 1080P.

· Registered
205 Posts
Uh... isn't AMC+ 720p? DirecTV has plenty of 1080P and 4K.

Lol, you have no clue what I have.

Peacock is free. Barely use it.
The Roku Channel is free. Barely use it.
Netflix is free. Barely use it.
AP I get free every once in a while for a month or so. Barely use it.
Apple TV you get for free for 3 months every time you buy an Apple device. I watch and enjoyed several shows on it. Nothing I would keep full time though. Especially if I was paying for it.
Get some other providers you mentioned free through work as well.

I keep DirecTV cuz most of the content I watch on a regular basis is linear. The other stuff is once in a blue moon.
Except the point you seem to be missing is all that linear is on the streaming services also, either before/ same day /day after, all in better quality and less expensive, then I get the exclusive stuff on top of that.

· Registered
205 Posts
While DirecTV is MY preferred service TODAY... I'm not blind, I can see the writing on the wall that at some point the sats will be done, so... they still probably have AT LEAST 3 - 5 years to order a sat.
Since the Satellite side has about 10 Million subscribers left and losing a estimated 400,000 a quarter, 1.6 Million a year, in 3 years 4.8 million gone and getting close to not being profitable, in 5 years, that means 8 Million Subs gone and out of business.

And this is just assuming the subscriber loss does not increase over those years, it will, especially with DirecTV after Sunday Ticket leaves.

The time to order a new Satellite is long gone now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts