DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 153 Posts

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I do wonder, as someone who left and came back a bit more than a year ago, and, is on contract for at least a half a year more if I'd even be able to get the promo discounts at this point in time? What leverage do I have?
Just call 'em up and ask nicely. If they say no, then you start politely dropping hints. "hmm.... am I still under contract?" "oh darn it... is there a fee if I cancel now?" "how much is it?" "hmm... that's not too bad... with the money I'd be saving by going to streaming, I'll break even in a few months". That kind of thing. If that doesn't work, then just wait out the 6 months and get a promo then. Or cancel again and try streaming again, then come back and get another 2 yr contract ;). You may not even have to wait out the full 6 months, you can always try the same game again in a couple of months. Maybe there's a thing in the system if your contract is coming up "soon"? who knows.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
That is weird. I installed it on my Fire TV Cube yesterday and it didn't work. Allowed me to login but the the only option was that it wanted me to sign up for STREAM. I will check if there was an update overnight.

· Legend
167 Posts
The only thing that cartoon suns up is what streaming haters believe. Outside of people who get the overpriced DTV streaming service, I know no one spending $200 on streaming apps per month. For me, even including paying for internet, I'm under $120/month and that includes Amazon Prime (which many people don't consider it in their package pricing) and Philo. We are thin on sports, but neither my wife or I are really into that. T-Mobile gives me MLB for free while Apple TV+, Amazon Prime and OTA serve to quench the sports thirst when it happens.

The big thing about streaming is that I don't have to sub to every service I want at the same time.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The only thing that cartoon suns up is what streaming haters believe. Outside of people who get the overpriced DTV streaming service, I know no one spending $200 on streaming apps per month. For me, even including paying for internet, I'm under $120/month and that includes Amazon Prime (which many people don't consider it in their package pricing) and Philo. We are thin on sports, but neither my wife or I are really into that. T-Mobile gives me MLB for free while Apple TV+, Amazon Prime and OTA serve to quench the sports thirst when it happens.

The big thing about streaming is that I don't have to sub to every service I want at the same time.
What speed internet do you have for that cheap a price? Do you have a data cap?

· Registered
1,830 Posts
I have DirecTV but I don't get why some think streaming is more expensive. If a person subscribed to these ad free ones. Total would be $80. Are people forgetting the extra fee's cable and satellite have? Charter's select plan is $80 but without the equipment and broadcast fees. Discovery+ and HB0 Max could raise their price one they are combined. Same if Disney buys the rest of Hulu combines that into Disney+.

Paramount+ - $10
Disney+ - $11
Discovery+ $7
HBO/Max - $15
Netflix - $20
Hulu - $8
Prime Video - $9

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I have DirecTV but I don't get why some think streaming is more expensive. If a person subscribed to these ad free ones. Total would be $80. Are people forgetting the extra fee's cable and satellite have? Charter's select plan is $80 but without the equipment and broadcast fees. Discovery+ and HB0 Max could raise their price one they are combined. Same if Disney buys the rest of Hulu combines that into Disney+.

Paramount+ - $10
Disney+ - $11
Discovery+ $7
HBO/Max - $15
Netflix - $20
Hulu - $8
Prime Video - $9
Where's all your linear channels? Hulu Live is $70/mo, less then the Charter $80. If you include both, you're paying $160/mo. I pay $91/mo for DirecTV Preferred Xtra.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
What speed internet do you have for that cheap a price? Do you have a data cap?
If you are trying to pad the price of streaming by adding the cost of Internet please limit the padding to the incremental cost. How much more would one pay for Internet if they added streaming.

In my case I would not need to pay a penny more for Internet. I'd continue with my same plan whether or not I streamed.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
If you are trying to pad the price of streaming by adding the cost of Internet please limit the padding to the incremental cost. How much more would one pay for Internet if they added streaming.

In my case I would not need to pay a penny more for Internet. I'd continue with my same plan whether or not I streamed.
Same here.
Where's all your linear channels? Hulu Live is $70/mo, less then the Charter $80. If you include both, you're paying $160/mo. I pay $91/mo for DirecTV Preferred Xtra.
Who needs linear channels? I never watch them live anyway.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

Agreed. You can't factor in the BASE PRICE of your package, but you SHOULD factor in if you need a higher speed package or a data cap removal that you wouldn't otherwise need.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Who needs streaming? I never watch poorly dubbed Netflix shows imported from random countries cuz they lost all their licensed content.
I canceled Netflix months ago. I still have satellite but I record anything I want to watch or watch it on ad-free streaming. But there are some shows I want to watch but don't have recent episodes available on ad-free streaming so I watch it from the DVR and have to FF through commercials (the horror). :LOL:

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I canceled Netflix months ago. I still have satellite but I record anything I want to watch or watch it on ad-free streaming. But there are some shows I want to watch but don't have recent episodes available on ad-free streaming so I watch it from the DVR and have to FF through commercials (the horror). :LOL:
Ok, now who watches commercials? but another perk of DirecTV. I got muscle memory on the FF x 3 where I can hit the commercial endpoints pretty much perfectly.

· Registered
197 Posts

Paramount+ - $10
Disney+ - $11
Discovery+ $7
HBO/Max - $15
Netflix - $20
Hulu - $8
Prime Video - $9
I forgot two others streaming Peacock - $10.00 and Apple TV+ - $7. That would be a total of $97. Not sure how popular Peacock is and if they have great first run shows?

There are pricing option to what you posted, deal on combining services or yearly, also discounts, for example Paramount+ is half off the yearly plan with code-ALLYEAR, 50% off Peacock-SAVEBIG and $1.99 Hulu, HBO and Discovery+ are on sale right now also.

This is what I have currently, I dropped a couple of services since I last posted this
also Hulu, Netflix, Paramount+ I pay for using Gift Cards I get with my Credit Card Points-

This is yearly total for each service that I pay and commercial free-
Paramount+ with Showtime-$129 (all Viacom/CBS Programing)
Peacock-$50( all Universal/NBC Content)
AMC+-$30
Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN+-$240(all ABC/Fox/Nat Geo/Disney Content)
HBO-$149
Netflix-$240
OTA-Free
ABC/CBS/NBC News apps-free
Pluto/Tubi/etc-free

So a yearly total of $838, divide by 12=$69.83 a month.

Also, all in 1080P/4K and DD+ sound, which you cannot get with Traditional Providers.

I do have Prime, but I have it for shipping, which pays for itself since I buy all non-perishable stuff from them, cleaning supplies, dog food, etc.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
There are pricing option to what you posted, deal on combining services or yearly, also discounts, for example Paramount+ is half off the yearly plan with code-ALLYEAR, 50% off Peacock-SAVEBIG and $1.99 Hulu, HBO and Discovery+ are on sale right now also.

This is what I have currently, I dropped a couple of services since I last posted this
also Hulu, Netflix, Paramount+ I pay for using Gift Cards I get with my Credit Card Points-

This is yearly total for each service that I pay and commercial free-
Paramount+ with Showtime-$129 (all Viacom/CBS Programing)
Peacock-$50( all Universal/NBC Content)
AMC+-$30
Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN+-$240(all ABC/Fox/Nat Geo/Disney Content)
HBO-$149
Netflix-$240
OTA-Free
ABC/CBS/NBC News apps-free
Pluto/Tubi/etc-free

So a yearly total of $838, divide by 12=$69.83 a month.

Also, all in 1080P/4K and DD+ sound, which you cannot get with Traditional Providers.

I do have Prime, but I have it for shipping, which pays for itself since I buy all non-perishable stuff from them, cleaning supplies, dog food, etc.
DirecTV has always had dolby digital sound and 720i/1080i. AMC+ doesn't have 4K, neither does OTA, ABC/CBS/NBC and Hulu Live (and Hulu Live is 720p on most devices except for like 6).

I count AT LEAST 13 apps you just listed lol. Ain't nobody got time for that haha.

· Registered
197 Posts
DirecTV has always had dolby digital sound and 720i/1080i. AMC+ doesn't have 4K, neither does OTA, ABC/CBS/NBC and Hulu Live (and Hulu Live is 720p on most devices except for like 6).

I count AT LEAST 13 apps you just listed lol. Ain't nobody got time for that haha.
I have lots of time, I retired 3 years ago.

First, Dolby Digital+ is a higher bitrate , better format .

Second, never wrote Hulu Live, wrote Hulu which went 1080P a while ago and started offering 4K a few years ago, The Handmaid’s Tale was the first, now they have quite a few, for example a lot of FX’s shows are in 4K on Hulu, discovered it when I watched The Old Man, now they have too many to list.

Paramount+ has a lot in 4K, including CBS shows, even Seal Team is now in 4K, too many to list.
Peacock-1080P
AMC-1080P
HBO-1080P/4K
Netflix-1080P/4K( way too many to list in 4K)
Disney+-1080P/4K(way too many to list in 4K)
ESPN+-1080P

Amazed that you brought up AMC lack of 4K when you have a service with barely any, not even 1080P.

41 - 60 of 153 Posts