DBSTalk Forum banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
DISH would take the licenses for 110 and 119 (24 transponders) and any Ku satellites they can move. The footprint of US satellites would be of limited value to Shaw and the licenses would be of no value. The programming contracts would be of no value to Shaw.

There is an opportunity for a new to satellite buyer to step in. Unlikely, but there is always a chance. Or someone who sees the programming contracts DIRECTV has signed as an asset. As noted, DIRECTV service is not a failure.
Seems like any attempt to merge hardware / satellites / dishes / CSRs / techs / etc. wouldn't be too economically viable. How long has AT&T been trying to merge billing? As I mentioned above, my billing was on ATT.com for a while, but recently reverted back to DirecTV.com, so I suspect that's AT&T wanting to get out of the rest of their ill fated purchase.

· Super Moderator
54,187 Posts
I was referring to having streaming apps on the Hopper itself.
The Hopper 3 has the most apps ... but the new Hopper Plus and and Android enabled Joeys bring other streaming apps into the picture.

Seems like any attempt to merge hardware / satellites / dishes / CSRs / techs / etc. wouldn't be too economically viable. How long has AT&T been trying to merge billing? As I mentioned above, my billing was on ATT.com for a while, but recently reverted back to DirecTV.com, so I suspect that's AT&T wanting to get out of the rest of their ill fated purchase.
As many have noted, AT&T sucks. If DISH ends up owning DIRECTV perhaps they will suck less. :D

How long AT&T attempted to move satellite subscribers over to their billing system is a a good question. Why they bothered is a bigger question. I can see the value of being on "one system" when offering bundled services (such as cell phones and Internet with AT&T TV or DIRECTV satellite) but they didn't seem to be in a hurry to complete that migration - then they moved forward quickly at about the same time as deciding to split off DIRECTV. They really AT&T'd up the transition.

As noted in the several other threads on the topic I do not expect a merger between the services if DISH ends up with DIRECTV. It would be an expensive and complicated mess. But 110 and 119 could become DISH locations without major changes (DISH's satellites were designed to cover DIRECTV's licenses and their dishes can receive all transponders). Between the two current operations they are making $5 billion per year in profit so there is no pressure to create an instant cost savings lest one system or the other would fail.

In my opinion DISH doesn't need to own DIRECTV ... but since the owner of DISH keeps saying that a merger is inevitable I won't rule one out. Even though I believe DISH would be better off waiting for DIRECTV to fail and buying what's left than to attempt a merger now (or within the next two years). My opinion, as stated.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Another thing by the time they get it approved and all merged, satellite fleet and billing systems would the last satellite run of fuel anyway?
An "easy" merger can be done in 3 - 6 months. A merger where people throw a hissy fit and object can take 1-2 years. I'm an investor in a stock where they tried to do a messy international merger and it took 2 yrs before it got rejected by regulators. I think Blizzard+Microsoft has been going on at least a year?

DirecTV + DISH have no international regulators to worry about since they're US only. You might have an objection from US regulators though, but maybe not. The official objection in 2001 was because both companies were hot at the time.

Now they're not.

Ergen hinted in the Q3 earnings that he'd wait til after the mid terms. Ergen is still interested in saving the satellite industry, unfortunately AT&T and TPG are not.

Ergen hinting in the Q3 earnings + my billing reverting to directv.com recently + TPG saying they want out? Mighty suspicious coincidences there ;).

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
The Hopper 3 has the most apps ... but the new Hopper Plus and and Android enabled Joeys bring other streaming apps into the picture.

As many have noted, AT&T sucks. If DISH ends up owning DIRECTV perhaps they will suck less. :D

How long AT&T attempted to move satellite subscribers over to their billing system is a a good question. Why they bothered is a bigger question. I can see the value of being on "one system" when offering bundled services (such as cell phones and Internet with AT&T TV or DIRECTV satellite) but they didn't seem to be in a hurry to complete that migration - then they moved forward quickly at about the same time as deciding to split off DIRECTV. They really AT&T'd up the transition.

As noted in the several other threads on the topic I do not expect a merger between the services if DISH ends up with DIRECTV. It would be an expensive and complicated mess. But 110 and 119 could become DISH locations without major changes (DISH's satellites were designed to cover DIRECTV's licenses and their dishes can receive all transponders). Between the two current operations they are making $5 billion per year in profit so there is no pressure to create an instant cost savings lest one system or the other would fail.

In my opinion DISH doesn't need to own DIRECTV ... but since the owner of DISH keeps saying that a merger is inevitable I won't rule one out. Even though I believe DISH would be better off waiting for DIRECTV to fail and buying what's left than to attempt a merger now (or within the next two years). My opinion, as stated.
Merging billing + csrs + techs would be a good idea to save some money without being too expensive. AT&T just messed it up.

· Super Moderator
54,187 Posts
Ergen hinting in the Q3 earnings + my billing reverting to directv.com recently + TPG saying they want out? Mighty suspicious coincidences there ;).
Ergen has been predicting a merger for the past couple of years. The more recent statements seem to be more "now or never" ... I'd like to know whether or not he believes the moment has passed but I have already expressed my opinion that he should not attempt such a merger.

Your billing change is irrelevantly timed. DIRECTV has been moving people off of the AT&T system for a year. It was your turn.

TPG wanting out? They stated that in January and there are a few people who believe that they only bought DIRECTV to allow AT&T to remove DIRECTV from their books as they turned their focus back to communications and away from TV. As a owned subsidiary they do not need to report all of the embarrasing performance details such as decreasing subscriber counts.

Merging billing + csrs + techs would be a good idea to save some money without being too expensive. AT&T just messed it up.
I wonder if it would help with retention? There are some people who swap services every two years. Instead of switching satellite providers would they stay or go away?

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Once our bill is migrated over to DTV will that mean getting two separate bills again? I just checked and I think ours is getting ready to migrate. At DTV.com it says see my bill and clicking on it brings up a summary box with we are unable to retrieve your statements at this time.

· Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Once our bill is migrated over to DTV will that mean getting two separate bills again? I just checked and I think ours is getting ready to migrate. At DTV.com it says see my bill and clicking on it brings up a summary box with we are unable to retrieve your statements at this time.
Good luck. After they migrated my DirecTV account to AT&T and then back to DirecTV it was so screwed up nothing worked properly so they eventually gave up on it and had to move that account info to a NEW DirecTV account and it is much better now.

· Super Moderator
54,187 Posts
When did my ex-boss from The Abusers get a job at AT&T lol? I assumed he was the only guy who would spend millions of dollars and then at the 98% throw it all out. Guess not.
I don't know how far AT&T got on the DIRECTV to AT&T conversion but I would not expect it to be anywhere near 98%. I believe most of the conversions were through attrition. Some customers left, other customers came. New customers got AT&T billing.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,454 Posts
Another thing by the time they get it approved and all merged, satellite fleet and billing systems would the last satellite run of fuel anyway?
It probably isn't reasonable to assume that the billing system would be nearly as difficult as AT&T made it appear. Unless the entity that acquired was nearly as large as AT&T, they probably wouldn't attempt something as difficult as trying to shoehorn a pay TV billing system into a phone and data billing system.

· AllStar
100 Posts
We got rid of dish over a year ago. We were paying around $80 with a deal for I think it was called the essentials package. Hopper DVR and a core but basic TV Package w/o sports. Ie no ESPN. Now we are paying $55 a month for YTTV which includes a T-Mobile discount and get many many more channels. We get Netflix and Apple TV for “free” with our T-Mobile package. We also watch for deals like now we have HBO for 99 cents a month for 3 months. Just got done with a Hulu deal. Fiber internet is $30/month including taxes. Life is good.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts