DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know anything about how their business is done but i really never thought there would be people sitting in their homes doing this kind of work. I guess I, at a minimum, thought there would be regional call centers or overseas. Any idea what level of FREE directv service these people get? Seems like a pretty good work at home gig.

http://wearecentralpa.com/content/fulltext/?cid=18931

Reported by: Ben Manning

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 @05:22pm EST

ALTOONA, BLAIR COUNTY

A "New" company is looking to hire dozens of people to work from their home in the Altoona area.

NEW will hire 160 people for phone-based customer service work.

The new employees will help people trouble shoot their DirecTV systems.

The jobs start at $9.50 an hour, and everyone that works for them gets free DirecTV service.

NEW is holding job fairs Tuesday and Wednesday. NEW representatives are answering questions and setting up some one-on-one interviews at the sessions. Those sessions are at 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM Wednesday at the Devoriss Center for Business Development at 3900 Industrial Park Drive in Altoona.

Maria Gray the Human Resource Recruiter for NEW says there's been a lot of interest so far.

Most of the people applying told WTAJ they were interested in the jobs to save gas money.

Gray says they're hiring people who are good with people and machines.

You can apply for a job online or go to a virtual job fair at their website, newhomebasedccr.com .

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
spartanstew said:
That must be what Ken was referring to HERE
NEW is National Electronics Warranty, (The Protection Plan People) They do tech support . It is common now to do that and work from home, but only for tech support

·
Hall Of Fame
2,345 Posts
curt8403 said:
NEW is National Electronics Warranty, (The Protection Plan People) They do tech support . It is common now to do that and work from home, but only for tech support
But technically NEW/Protection Plan is a contracted division of DirecTV, right?
I'm talking about Main/Tech I/Tech II/DNS/CRG/(what other depts are there, lol...) uhhm, ISS/TelCo/ OK, I forget the rest. But my point is, the "regular" departments I dont think are given that ability.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
CJTE said:
But technically NEW/Protection Plan is a contracted division of DirecTV, right?
I'm talking about Main/Tech I/Tech II/DNS/CRG/(what other depts are there, lol...) uhhm, ISS/TelCo/ OK, I forget the rest. But my point is, the "regular" departments I dont think are given that ability.
right, only new and Tech work from home (It is just tech now, not tech 1 and tech 2)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
CJTE said:
DirecTV doesnt do work from home.

And last I checked, although I could be mistaken, they dont allow work-at-home agents (like some of Conergys people, etc) on their campaign.
Yes they do "work from home" for tech support. This is not the FIRST I have heard of it. My uncle got a job just like this last year. I hae spoken with a couple of CSR's from thier home. We arent supposed to know though. :grin:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,345 Posts
Since when did Tech support work from home!?!
And, since I'm pretty sure DirecTVs employees all work at one or another of their sites, which Vendor is supporting this?

The only one I can think of is Convergys but I thought they were all Main/DNS/RV

·
Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
newsposter said:
NEW will hire 160 people for phone-based customer service work.

The new employees will help people trouble shoot their DirecTV systems.

The jobs start at $9.50 an hour, and everyone that works for them gets free DirecTV service.

NEW is holding job fairs Tuesday and Wednesday. NEW representatives are answering questions and setting up some one-on-one interviews at the sessions......

.....Gray says they're hiring people who are good with people and machines.
Tech support for Protection Plan customers, huh? And these "new employees (who) will help people trouble shoot their DirecTV systems" ..."who are good with people and machines," I hope they've all been previously employed as satellite TV installers and all are current DirecTV HD subscribers with HR's. This will never work, unless there's some serious hands-on training with live equipment which can simulate failure modes in the entire system, from the receiver through the multi-switch to the dish. Simulator training. If they just give these people a "playbook" full of scripts to learn, they're seriously heading down the wrong road. And to think, these are the new folks subscribers get to pay $6/mo extra to help them.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
hello,

Im new here but thought I would reply to this. I work for convergys out of my home in tech support. that is the only skill level that can right now. ty for this forum. I hope to learn alot

ty

·
RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
CJTE said:
Since when did Tech support work from home!?!
And, since I'm pretty sure DirecTVs employees all work at one or another of their sites, which Vendor is supporting this?

The only one I can think of is Convergys but I thought they were all Main/DNS/RV
I spoke with a DirecTV CSR once with a deep southern accent. She told me she worked from her home in Georgia! Very friendly, had a computer terminal right there to help with the problem I was having with my account. I had an excellent customer experience- much better than speaking to someone in China with little knowledge other than a script to follow. (If you can understand them)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
dtvcsr said:
hello,

Im new here but thought I would reply to this. I work for convergys out of my home in tech support. that is the only skill level that can right now. ty for this forum. I hope to learn alot

ty
Welcome to DBSTalk! You'll find we're a very helpful bunch, but we do argue a lot amongst ourselves, usually politely. :)

Please feel free to ask questions at any time!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,651 Posts
dtvcsr said:
hello,

ty
Welcome to the forums dtvcsr.You will find a world of information on here and alot of very helpful and experienced folks.Enjoy the site. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Heh Stew, you could do this from Argentina!

K4SMX said:
Tech support for Protection Plan customers, huh? And these "new employees (who) will help people trouble shoot their DirecTV systems" ..."who are good with people and machines," I hope they've all been previously employed as satellite TV installers and all are current DirecTV HD subscribers with HR's. This will never work, unless there's some serious hands-on training with live equipment which can simulate failure modes in the entire system, from the receiver through the multi-switch to the dish. Simulator training. If they just give these people a "playbook" full of scripts to learn, they're seriously heading down the wrong road. And to think, these are the new folks subscribers get to pay $6/mo extra to help them.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
I already have - for 2 weeks last Nov.....let's all welcome back techrep, who has been AWOL.

And dtvcsr, please feel free to send me a Private Message (PM) any time. (Left click on my user ID)

·
Hall Of Fame
2,345 Posts
ThomasM said:
I spoke with a DirecTV CSR once with a deep southern accent. She told me she worked from her home in Georgia! Very friendly, had a computer terminal right there to help with the problem I was having with my account.
dtvcsr said:
hello,

ty
Point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.