DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sitting here streaming Christmas Carols off my computer harddrive,while looking at a slide show of Christmas pictures from Webshots on my Pany plasma streamed off my harddrive via a wireless access port to the HR-20. This rocks hard! Merry Christmas!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
wk2000 said:
I am sitting here streaming Christmas Carols off my computer harddrive,while looking at a slide show of Christmas pictures from Webshots on my Pany plasma streamed off my harddrive via a wireless access port to the HR-20. This rocks hard! Merry Christmas!
This is so 5 years ago or even longer depending on how you look at it. I just don't understand what is so cool about it. Consumer network media players have been out for 7+ years, HD network media players like Roku have been out since ~2002 and those of us with HTPC have been playing MPEGS, Pictures, DVD, Video even HD video recording for what, 10 + years. I guess I miss what is cool about being able to play mpegs and jpegs from a STB. It is a feature that should be there, work well, and even be relay cool, not the rather lame interfaces I have seen from the pictures posted. IMO it gets a big yawn. :new_sleep

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
What is "so cool", is that it is now available to those that didn't have it before.

So it is not "ground breaking"... but even me, a technology geek never found the reason to drop the money on the dedicated devices to stream my audio to my stereo... Nor replace my DVD player with one that can do that.
Or purchase a computer just to sit next to my TV system, to use as a HTPC (and I have about 6 computers already in the house)... Nor replace my TV for one that had memory card slots on it.

So yes.. for some this "IS" cool...

Just like some people could give two hoots about dual buffers, caller-id on the screen (I mean that has been around for what 15+ years), and manual records, or Record HD via OTA... Every feature isn't for every person.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
What is "so cool", is that it is now available to those that didn't have it before.

So it is not "ground breaking"... but even me, a technology geek never found the reason to drop the money on the dedicated devices to stream my audio to my stereo... Nor replace my DVD player with one that can do that.
Or purchase a computer just to sit next to my TV system, to use as a HTPC (and I have about 6 computers already in the house)... Nor replace my TV for one that had memory card slots on it.

Just like some people could give two hoots about dual buffers, caller-id on the screen (I mean that has been around for what 15+ years), and manual records, or Record HD via OTA... Every feature isn't for every person.
Guess my point wasn't clear. This is old technology and an old idea, it is the kind of thing that we should expect to be there in products like this, and based on how late it is in the technology cycle, it should be a "ground breaking" implementation. So, yawn, D* implemented a fairly light weight mpeg and jpeg viewer with very few features with a rather primitive looking interface, IMO very yesterday.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

What it seems is happening is that the electronics manufacturers are building parts to the next home theatre environment. Some people will have PCs as servers, some will have DVRs as servers. (There will be overlap too.) Some will have cameras with wireless abilities tho their TV might not--but because they have a HR25 (a new dvr) that has wireless built in, the camera can display on the TV thru the HR25.

So it all comes together depending on how each part is acquired and when. Equipment that plays well with the others will likely succeed better than those that don't play well. (Ipod's being a huge exception to the "rule"...) Directv is being smart in exploring some of those opportunities. Sure, those with all brand new equipment won't need to use the DVR as the conduit for sound and pix. But I don't have all that, so using an HR20 could be handy from time to time.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Tom

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,889 Posts
tibber said:
Some people will have PCs as servers, some will have DVRs as servers. (There will be overlap too.)
HD DVRs won't likely be the server in any multi-TV system as long as the production house lawyers are still breathing.

·
Legend
181 Posts
harsh said:
HD DVRs won't likely be the server in any multi-TV system as long as the production house lawyers are still breathing.
Breathing? I think they'll still be trying to stop us watching video WE OWN after they've been cremated!

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
harsh said:
Why not? What legal issue is there to me placing my pix, recorded music, or videos on my DVR? For that matter, how about as a file server too?

Yes, there are tons of legal issues with the DVR serving items that it has recorded from OTA or the satellite feed. But with appropriate DRM (yeah, I hate the need, but sorta understand too) couldn't it serve those data too?

Food for thought.

Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I have a memory card reader hooked up to my TV/HT and if I put an SD card into it I can see pictures and listen to MP3s on my setup. Right next to tht I have a diital photo frame with audio/video out that can do the same thing.

I am for some reason still really psyched about the idea that the HR20 can now also do this.

When On Demand comes to the HR20 in the form of broadband downloads I will be psyched and happy all over again. Even though that is old technology as well it is new to my HR20

Enjoy!

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Mixer said:
I have a memory card reader hooked up to my TV/HT and if I put an SD card into it I can see pictures and listen to MP3s on my setup. Right next to tht I have a diital photo frame with audio/video out that can do the same thing.

I am for some reason still really psyched about the idea that the HR20 can now also do this.

When On Demand comes to the HR20 in the form of broadband downloads I will be psyched and happy all over again. Even though that is old technology as well it is new to my HR20

Enjoy!
That is a great attitude. Enjoy the cool in life and get psyched as well!

Merry Christmas, everyone,
Tom

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,889 Posts
tibber said:
But with appropriate DRM (yeah, I hate the need, but sorta understand too) couldn't it serve those data too?
A DVR is a very expensive place to store content and finding something that is compatible with Windows that won't be susceptible to Windows goofiness is just too much to ask.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
harsh said:
A DVR is a very expensive place to store content and finding something that is compatible with Windows that won't be susceptible to Windows goofiness is just too much to ask.
I guess our mileage may vary...DVR is cheaper than a dedicated PC for me, less likely to crash (well, it will be, right Directv!), more likely to be up and running, etc. Ok, so I might not recommend file serving, but i sure can imagine video, sound, pix...

Hey wait. Isn't the HR20 already trying to be compatible with a portion of windows? :)

Merry Christmas,
Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.