DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got some good info from here and think Earl does a great job, along with a lot of posters here, but if someone says the HR20 is no good, or it isn't working for them people attack them and come back with:

It's been working for me for a month, implying the poster is an idiot and doesn't know what they are doing.

Do you think people are lying? Why the cult like following of this box? We all got to admit it’s got a long way to go, I think it will get better, but don't think DirecTV should have released it in its present form.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
No.

I don't think anyone thinks the problems are "fake" or are not happening.
But... when there are other posts, that the HR20 is a POS, or it fails every time... what are those that have no issues and are extremely HAPPY with the unit supposed to say?

Just like it is wrong to think that the problems are NOT happening... it is equally wrong to think that no one out there have units that have no issues at all.

I for example have very few problems. And now have two HR20's cranking along, with really no problems. And there are many others.
There are several people that I have helped here, that just can't get anything to work...

What get's attacked are the extreme attitudes on both sides of the statement. That one side is right, and the other side must obviously be wrong.

There are a significant amount of people out there that had no other option to DVR HD... they may not have been able to get OTA... or waivers for DNS HD. And the MPEG-4 HD-DVR even with it's issues, is more HD then they had before.

So yes... the "idiots" that are calling other idiots HAS to stop. and I mean it... it HAS to stop... or we will start to put people on "vacation" from the forum... some permantly.

This is a place where people can ask questions, get help, and have quality discussions...

Is the HR20 perfect? No...
But how long it takes to come close to that point... we can only gauge as the software releases come out..

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No.

But... when there are other posts, that the HR20 is a POS, or it fails every time... what are those that have no issues and are extremely HAPPY with the unit supposed to say?

Just like it is wrong to think that the problems are NOT happening... it is equally wrong to think that no one out there have units that have no issues at all.

I for example have very few problems. And now have two HR20's cranking along, with really no problems. And there are many others.
There are several people that I have helped here, that just can't get anything to work...

What get's attacked are the extreme attitudes on both sides of the statement. That one side is right, and the other side must obviously be wrong.

There are a significant amount of people out there that had no other option to DVR HD... they may not have been able to get OTA... or waivers for DNS HD. And the MPEG-4 HD-DVR even with it's issues, is more HD then they had before.

So yes... the "idiots" that are calling other idiots HAS to stop. and I mean it... it HAS to stop... or we will start to put people on "vacation" from the forum... some permantly.

This is a place where people can ask questions, get help, and have quality discussions...

Is the HR20 perfect? No...
But how long it takes to come close to that point... we can only gauge as the software releases come out..
You go Earl, I have two as well, not perfect but getting better with each update! I owned a C-Band Satellite business in the 80's and think a number of these HD local problems are coming from the Channels themselves. I talked with an engineer here in atlanta that handles Channel 46 HD OTA and DTV link and after complaining about freeze-ups and audio problems he traced it to a faulty "format encoder" that he has now sent back to the factory for repair. Not all problems are coming from these new receivers. Also, very very precise aiming of these new AT9 dishes will help greatly. They must be meter at the dish only installed, no self installs!

Mod Note: I edited the quoted text to match my revision, for typo's and clarity

·
Banned
686 Posts
COPTERDOCTOR said:
You go Earl, I have two as well, not perfect but getting better with each update! I owned a C-Band Satellite business in the 80's and think a number of these HD local problems are coming from the Channels themselves. I talked with an engineer here in atlanta that handles Channel 46 HD OTA and DTV link and after complaining about freeze-ups and audio problems he traced it to a faulty "format encoder" that he has now sent back to the factory for repair. Not all problems are coming from these new receivers. Also, very very precise aiming of these new AT9 dishes will help greatly. They must be meter at the dish only installed, no self installs!
"Last edited by Earl Bonovich : Today at 05:28 PM."?!?!?!?!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
matto said:
"Last edited by Earl Bonovich : Today at 05:28 PM."?!?!?!?!
Yes I edited the text in the QUOTE, as I was quoted while I was editing my text...

·
Legend
134 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No.

NOTHING!

·
AllStar
87 Posts
There has to be a balance of people saying that it works right or no one is going to come this site because they are going to think this is nothing but a bash D* site. And sometimes it might help if we could establish what kind of patterns are keeping us from having problems and causing you to have problems. But anyway that is my $.02

Mike

·
Legend
200 Posts
Cool! I have always wanted to be a member of a cult, and this one is one of the best around!!!:grin:

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
NSo yes... the "idiots" that are calling other idiots HAS to stop. and I mean it... it HAS to stop... or we will start to put people on "vacation" from the forum... some permantly.
Can we send people to corn field who respond with:

"It's a known issue"
OR
"Mines not doing that, it works perfectly"

?

:D

·
Legend
156 Posts
So you guys seriously would like to only see negative comments here, where the people having no issues keep completely quiet?

·
AllStar
102 Posts
mckeemike505 said:
There has to be a balance of people saying that it works right or no one is going to come this site because they are going to think this is nothing but a bash D* site. And sometimes it might help if we could establish what kind of patterns are keeping us from having problems and causing you to have problems. But anyway that is my $.02

Mike
You're correct on that one. Before I received my hr20, I visited this place non stop to get info & the such. Now that it's filled with constant whining, this forum is barely visitable. Yes, my box is flawless... except for the OTA issue. :)

Since this will soon become a bashing thread, I'll probably bypass it as well (sigh).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,335 Posts
Remember, folks -- one of the features of vBulletin software is the ability to put trolls on your ignore list. Though, I haven't anyone on mine -- this week -- it saves a certain amount of wear and tear on your endocrine system.

Though, I don't wander by the TCF Forum much anymore -- there are a few dweebs over there who stayed on my ignore list for years!

I've been with D* since their 3rd month on the street -- through Pegasucks and all the other disasters. It still totals out at a better package than anything else I have access to. The folks in retention make up for a lot. Forums like this are still the best assistance you could ask for.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Starrbuck said:
So you guys seriously would like to only see negative comments here, where the people having no issues keep completely quiet?
I don't think only negative comments should be posted. For some people that are having problems, hearing postive comments could give hope that their box could begin to work better as well.

Let's face it; I don't think there is one person that had zero problems; and I'm also sure that everyone that has an HR20 isn't posting their story here. This can be a place to vent and can also be a place where people share their work arounds for known issues. I really don't think that the people that are having few problems are rubbing it in the face of the ones that have many problems.

I know it's frustrating to go a month flawless then all of a sudden have to reset a million times. That has happened to me. In most cases, the negative stories are posted just to vent and to see that you're not alone. Both negative and positive deserve equal respect and the posts shouldn't get PERSONAL.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
jerkieman said:
I have got some good info from here and think Earl does a great job, along with a lot of posters here, but if someone says the HR20 is no good, or it isn't working for them people attack them and come back with:

It's been working for me for a month, implying the poster is an idiot and doesn't know what they are doing.

Do you think people are lying? Why the cult like following of this box? We all got to admit it's got a long way to go, I think it will get better, but don't think DirecTV should have released it in its present form.
No, most of these responses are stating that not "ALL" is doom and gloom for these boxes. I have had mine a couple of weeks and have not had any issues "yet" but reading about other peoples problems let me know that if something were to happen on mine it is not an isolated incident.

I have also known many people (IRL) who really need some sort of mood stabilzer as everything in their world is either "the greatest thing ever" or "the biggest piece of junk" (or insert other word for junk). When people come out with that attitude I just pretty much dismiss what they have to say as the truth always lies somewhere in the middle. If you think it is bad here, try some motorcycle forums and the flame wars that go on because bike (model/type) A is doing this and is a piece of junk and watch the defenders come out after them.....that stuff is pretty mild here.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
If it were a cult, then people would be attacked for attempting to leave! But a statement like "theHR20 is no good" is an absolute and is simply untrue, because it doesn't work well for many people.

·
Legend
210 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Cool! I have always wanted to be a member of a cult, and this one is one of the best around!!!:grin:
i agree, im going to begin wearing my access card on a chain around my neck!

·
AllStar
82 Posts
I love the fact that this forum can be used for posting descriptions of problems, and what led up to them, so that D* can work on fixing them. So Earl's first sticky takes care of that.

Outside of that I've always used forums as a way to ask questions, do research, and help people if I know their answers. It's when forums verture into the name calling, whining, & complaining that things start to break down.

It's a shame we can't focus more on the questions and answers. The HR20 isn't perfect, but I'm drinking the Kool-Aid anyway. Join the club, we've got jackets.

Snewo

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
snewo said:
I love the fact that this forum can be used for posting descriptions of problems, and what led up to them, so that D* can work on fixing them. So Earl's first sticky takes care of that.

Outside of that I've always used forums as a way to ask questions, do research, and help people if I know their answers. It's when forums verture into the name calling, whining, & complaining that things start to break down.

It's a shame we can't focus more on the questions and answers. The HR20 isn't perfect, but I'm drinking the Kool-Aid anyway. Join the club, we've got jackets.

Snewo
Every decision I made on what to do, when to do it, and how best to do it came from here. The research, fixes, known issues, etc. were all available and everyone was helpful. I have zero issues so far with the HR-20 and a lot of it is because I not only knew what to expect, but was ready to take on the issues if needed because of others' posts. This is what good forums are all about and this is a good forum.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.