DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time TiVo fan (use to have 3 of the Samsung TiVo receivers, prior to the jump to HD in 2008).

Anyway----I am very pleased with my new THR22----had it installed today....but, not the same TiVo as before.

1. The sounds are gone when you depress the FFWD button (use to have that bloop-bloop-bloop sound). Some mind find it annoying, but, I didn't mind it. Also, the sound effect when you are preparing to "DELELTE" a program is gone too. I looked in the book, and on the settings screen, and I think I am out of luck for those sounds....but, I thought I would ask....is there a way to turn those sounds "ON", and I am just missing something?

2. On Demand - I believe I already know the answer to this---but, I have the TiVo plugged into my Home Network----but, On Demand is citing an "error" for every download (network connection is good---in settings). Do I have to wait a designated period of time, prior to using On Demand (CSR at DTV went back-n-forth with me, about whether it would work on THR22...the CSRs are pretty funny, as they have no clue what a TiVo is...nor, what the new receivers are capable/not capable of).

3. USB on the front panel - nothing in the manual about that USB port, and what I can do with it. Any ideas?

Thanks, John
MCPO, USN

· AllStar
94 Posts
1 - I have the classic TiVo sounds. What audio output are you using on the receiver? I have a vague memory the sounds didn't play over digital audio outputs.

2 - On demand did take awhile to work. I let it sit a day. After that I was about to pull down shows.

3 - Noting that I know of. Just left over hardware from the HR22 design.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
There is a preference setting for the sounds. It probably is set wrong.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all......let me clarify the "sounds" comment.

I do have "TiVo" sounds....but, not all of them (like on the SD Samsung DTV Tivos from a while back). Use to, when you press FFWD, you would get the "bloop, bloop, bloop" everytime you depressed the FFWD key.....but, alas....that sound is gone. And, the sounds when you prepare to delete something (I always remember hearing those sounds from across the room, and realizing that someone was deleting my shows).

The other normal sounds I can hear.

And, so the USB port is useless...(wonderful).....

John

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Sorry for misunderstanding. I guess I'd try a reboot and see what comes of it.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don

You are 100% correct......I get the "bloop, bloop, bloop" sounds on SD shows/channels....but, not on HD ones.

Oh well.....maybe they'll come to HD down the road......still happy to have my Tivo back.

John

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
sbl said:
Well, no, it isn't. It can be used for an AM21 OTA tuner and apparently a USB keyboard works there too.
Have you actually used a USB keyboard with a TiVo?

· AllStar
94 Posts
johnusnsd said:
Don

You are 100% correct......I get the "bloop, bloop, bloop" sounds on SD shows/channels....but, not on HD ones.

Oh well.....maybe they'll come to HD down the road......still happy to have my Tivo back.

John
I get the TiVo sounds on HD channels. I really think it comes down to what audio output you are using and channels with digital audio (typically HD channels). If you go into to TiVo Dolby Digital audio settings, you'll see a warning about the possibility of not hearing sound effects. This issue has been around before the THR22. You could try turning Dolby Digital off depending on your sound system and your personal needs.

· Cool Member
35 Posts
frankygamer said:
I get the TiVo sounds on HD channels. I really think it comes down to what audio output you are using and channels with digital audio (typically HD channels). If you go into to TiVo Dolby Digital audio settings, you'll see a warning about the possibility of not hearing sound effects. This issue has been around before the THR22. You could try turning Dolby Digital off depending on your sound system and your personal needs.
You are correct.
And, interesting, it is the Tivo setting and not the audio content that seems to make the difference.
With DD turned on I tried tuning an HD channel that didn't have DD audio and the bloops were still missing.
When I changed the Tivo setting they came back.
While I miss the sound effects I'll take the better audio quality.

Don

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don and Frank

Thanks for the insight.....you both have solved my issue......I turned Dolby "off" and got the TiVo sounds that I haven't heard in a while.

And I would agree with you Don (regarding sound quality)....but, the box is currently hooked to a smaller, bedroom LCD---with 1080 pic, but crappy speakers.....so, switching it on this TV is not significant.

Oh another note....since you two seem to have a wealth of info. I am unable to download on demand shows (I have been on with DTV for 1hr, 7min, with no resolution (they stated it is a "known issue" with the new TiVos).....soooo, are either of you (or anyone else reading this), able to download On Demand?

I am told that my Broadcast settings (DHCP) is not correct, and that one setting is not capable of manual input.

Thanks, John

· AllStar
94 Posts
johnusnsd said:
Don and Frank

Thanks for the insight.....you both have solved my issue......I turned Dolby "off" and got the TiVo sounds that I haven't heard in a while.

And I would agree with you Don (regarding sound quality)....but, the box is currently hooked to a smaller, bedroom LCD---with 1080 pic, but crappy speakers.....so, switching it on this TV is not significant.

Oh another note....since you two seem to have a wealth of info. I am unable to download on demand shows (I have been on with DTV for 1hr, 7min, with no resolution (they stated it is a "known issue" with the new TiVos).....soooo, are either of you (or anyone else reading this), able to download On Demand?

I am told that my Broadcast settings (DHCP) is not correct, and that one setting is not capable of manual input.

Thanks, John
Yes, but it was at least a day before it started working. I just installed box #2. You should see update(downgrade) v18a first to remove Kidzone, then after some number of hours On Demand will kick in.

Who said your DHCP settings are wrong? Are you able to pass the Network Test? How long has your box been on and connected?

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frank

DTV TiVo techie stated that the setting is incorrect (doesn't match gateway numbers)....and, that one setting is not a manual input choice (THR22 skips that one selection during manual network selection). My DNS fails, but the other network tests (in diagnostics) passes. And, I am able to connect to the DVR service via ethernet.

They won't send a tech out.....because he stated it was a "known" issue with other TiVo subscribers.

Willing to try any suggestions.....but, I get a download error (yellow triangle of death) for any on demand selections.

John

· AllStar
94 Posts
johnusnsd said:
Frank

DTV TiVo techie stated that the setting is incorrect (doesn't match gateway numbers)....and, that one setting is not a manual input choice (THR22 skips that one selection during manual network selection). My DNS fails, but the other network tests (in diagnostics) passes. And, I am able to connect to the DVR service via ethernet.

They won't send a tech out.....because he stated it was a "known" issue with other TiVo subscribers.

Willing to try any suggestions.....but, I get a download error (yellow triangle of death) for any on demand selections.

John
What settings is the Tivo reporting?

Mine are
IP 192168.1.11
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Dns and gateway point to the router 192.168.1.1

Doing this off the top of my head, but I think that's right. Your router should be forwarding dns request basd on the cable modem

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Frank....I am not in front of my TiVo right now (at work)....but, the issue they believe is the "BROADCAST" numbers that are reflected just above the DNS number on the NETWORK STATUS screen. That "BROADCAST" number---the last digit---is one number higher than the gateway number (which it is suppose to match). DTV CSR states that is the issue, since the user cannot manually change/adjust the BROADCAST numbers.......

John

· AllStar
94 Posts
johnusnsd said:
Frank....I am not in front of my TiVo right now (at work)....but, the issue they believe is the "BROADCAST" numbers that are reflected just above the DNS number on the NETWORK STATUS screen. That "BROADCAST" number---the last digit---is one number higher than the gateway number (which it is suppose to match). DTV CSR states that is the issue, since the user cannot manually change/adjust the BROADCAST numbers.......

John
Broadcast address. 192.168.255.255 on my machine.

Not familiar with a "Broadcast address".

*broadcast address* in google yields:

All datagrams sent by TCP/IP move through all machines in the network path. However, each host adapter ignores any packet that does not include that particular computer's IP address in the datagram header. Occasionally, you might want to send a message to all machines on a particular network. To do so, select a *broadcast address* for your machine.

Not sure how this would mess up you DNS.

My subnet mask is really 255.255.0.0

If your broadcast number ends in .255, That would seem OK. I would focus on the DNS settings the box is pulling. If the DNS is pulling the router number and it's not working, I'd manually enter the DNS number from your router setup or even a 3rd party DNS IP.

http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

· Mentor
49 Posts
The broadcast address is determined by the modem/router handling your internal network. It is a calculation of the internal IP gateway address and internal subnet mask, where they are converted to binary and then each digit is compared by a rule to create a new number. It can be controlled by changing your internal IP address and subnet mask from within the settings of your modem/router. For instance, an IP gateway of 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 will yield a broadcast address of 192.168.1.255; An IP gateway of 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 will yield a broadcast address of 192.168.255.255

The DNS is determined by your ISP, and is either received automatically by your modem/router or manually saved in the settings by your administrator.

The easiest thing to do would be to go into the details/properties of something that is successfully connected to your network, like the wired/wireless adapter of your computer/laptop, or any internet device, and see what the network values are there, then mimic those settings manually on the THR-22. That is, mimic the gateway IP address, the DNS server(s), and the subnet mask. The actual IP address you assign to the THR-22 should be different from the IP address of the device that is successfully connected by a digit or two. So if your computer IP is something like 192.168.1.100, try assigning the THR-22 something like 192.168.1.101 or 192.168.1.102, maybe something like 192.168.1.112 if there are many devices connected to your network to prevent any conflict. There's usually a window from 100-150 for internal IPs.

The broadcast address is not something you will be able to set on the THR-22. The receiving adapter within the unit will compute the broadcast address from the internal gateway and subnet mask you have set. So on the THR-22, you should be able to manually set values for an IP address, IP gateway, subnet mask, and DNS Server(s). If you still have problems after setting all those, then you might want to consider restarting your modem/router and checking that DHCP is enabled - because technically all of this stuff should have worked automatically.

And FYI, On Demand is working well on my THR-22, although there were a few titles from SHO onDemand that refused to download early on... The box claimed that it was something to do with my network settings, but I deduced it was an availabilty issue/error on DirecTV's part because I got plenty of other titles to download both before and after and the culprits were removed from the menu entierely soon thereafter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.