DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find answers to these questions (though perhaps my keywords were off).

1) Does the THR22 get its software updates over the Sat or through the Internet (thinking it's the former).

2) Once the THR22 has taken a software update, is it possible to "roll back"? My belief is no: once taken, an upgrade can't be undone (and that swapping back to an older hard disk won't have any affect on the software version). Can anyone confirm or deny?

3) When a software update is downloaded, does the download happen while the unit is running and then displays a message (that a reboot is needed to install)? Or does the download actually happen right after the reboot (not sure if anyone has watched this)?

Thx
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,489 Posts
puffdaddy said:
I didn't find answers to these questions (though perhaps my keywords were off).

1) Does the THR22 get its software updates over the Sat or through the Internet (thinking it's the former).

2) Once the THR22 has taken a software update, is it possible to "roll back"? My belief is no: once taken, an upgrade can't be undone (and that swapping back to an older hard disk won't have any affect on the software version). Can anyone confirm or deny?

3) When a software update is downloaded, does the download happen while the unit is running and then displays a message (that a reboot is needed to install)? Or does the download actually happen right after the reboot (not sure if anyone has watched this)?

Thx
(1) It gets it's Software Downloaded via Satellite.
(2) Can't Roll Back to the Previous Version of Software
(3) Software is Downloaded then DVR Reboots
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Richierich.

When the DVR Reboots to install new software, does the unit display the same "DirecTV software install" screen (which shows a % completion) that you get from the 02468 code?

Or does it show a Tivo upgrade screen like the attached one?
 

Attachments

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
It shows the blue screen with the percentages, then when it boots you get a TiVo welcome screen.
 

·
Mr. FixAnything
Joined
·
27,422 Posts
Richierich said:
(1) It gets it's Software Downloaded via Satellite.
(2) Can't Roll Back to the Previous Version of Software
(3) Software is Downloaded then DVR Reboots
Not that easy (3):
- first the box, when it's running normally, must discover SW announcement what is suitable for the model and version,
- then if you are watching something (or the box is busy) it will post a request to accept the "data",
- if no reaction from [sleeping] viewer, then it will reboot itself to start downloading the SW/FW.

After successful DL, it should reboot by itself again (sometimes it is not happen, so it will be beneficial to reboot it manually).
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
That's true with any of the HR-series DVRs, and in fact you can force a software download with the THR22 just like you can with any DIRECTV DVR, by pressing 02468 at the welcome screen. Also just like any other HR-series DVR you can't get software that isn't intended for your particular receiver.
 

·
Mr. FixAnything
Joined
·
27,422 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
That's true with any of the HR-series DVRs, and in fact you can force a software download with the THR22 just like you can with any DIRECTV DVR, by pressing 02468 at the welcome screen. Also just like any other HR-series DVR you can't get software that isn't intended for your particular receiver.
We're not allowed to post secret CE codes nor advise to use such... although Mods are from different planet :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,718 Posts
P Smith said:
We're not allowed to post secret CE codes nor advise to use such... although Mods are from different planet :D
02468 isn't secret CE code. Many techs and tech support will suggest it if need be.
 

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,541 Posts
Mr. Smith makes a good point: That we don't - nor do the Mods- go around willy nilly suggesting people use it; there can be considerable downsides.

But it sure ain't secret.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top