DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are multiple threads about the media features of the new software version but I wanted to start one where maybe everyone can check in and announce that they are completely fed up and have thrown in the towel.

This is now the boat I am in.

It took me some doing to get the software WMP11 to see my HR20. When it finally did it was wrokign great until the HR20 gave me an announcement stating that the profile which I got it working on in the first placed had logged off. Thios was hours after I had actually logged off that profile and onot the one that I normally use on my XP box.

I was able to get it back one time by logging back into the other profile and then it dropped again and I have not been able to get it back using any method that previously worked for me.

I really want to use these features but I feel like I am wasting way too much time trying to get it to work and stay working. I can't imagine how it would be for someone without a lot of PC knowledge.

D* should be releasing user friendly features for this device.

Anyone else.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Perhaps the twonky will work for you since it is a server giving the access and not a profile giving permission to your files.

I don't know anything about the twonky, but if WMP11 will only serve up the feature if the profile is running it, I would look at the Microsoft website for a workaround for that.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to sound like aspolied kid but I don't know if I want to pay $40 for something that I should be able to use with WMP11. It was working before and it is working for others. Now I can't even get my PC to see the HR20 using the methods that previously worked before. I also can not ping the device. Can others that have this working 100% ping their HR20 IP address?

Spanky_Partain said:
Perhaps the twonky will work for you since it is a server giving the access and not a profile giving permission to your files.

I don't know anything about the twonky, but if WMP11 will only serve up the feature if the profile is running it, I would look at the Microsoft website for a workaround for that.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
my hr20 won't respond to ping... but wmp11 will serve... also all power management stuff turned off.. my file server is also recorder for security cams

·
DBSTalk Club Member
23 Posts
Mixer said:
I hate to sound like aspolied kid but I don't know if I want to pay $40 for something that I should be able to use with WMP11. It was working before and it is working for others. Now I can't even get my PC to see the HR20 using the methods that previously worked before. I also can not ping the device. Can others that have this working 100% ping their HR20 IP address?
No, I can't ping the IP either. I have run port scans and come up with nothing. There is obviously some kind of firewall on the HR20 (smart move) so that we can't hack into it. As far as your "should be able to use with WMP11" thought goes, D* actually only promised that it will work with ViiV enbedded systems. However, I would imagine that there is something else going on with your computer/network, as I don't have a ViiV system and have it running fine with WMP11. Can you elaborate on what the issues are? Does this happen if you leave the PC logged in under the correct profile?

·
Godfather
423 Posts
tcmears said:
D* actually only promised that it will work with ViiV enbedded systems.
Yeah, that's true. They probably won't make any fixes on the network feature unless the problem happens with ViiV PCs.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At first my PC could not see the HR20 at all. So i created a new windows profile and logged in. then I re-installed WMP11 and the new profile was able to see the HR20. When I logged in with the new profile there was an icon by the systray that stated it had found the HR20 but that I had to configure whether or not I wanted to share. I went to the confign and allowed sharing to the HR20. I then logged off that profile and went back to my usual profile and there it was the HR20 was still listed. So I went to the HR20 and low and behold there was the choice for Pictures and Music. I was able to play music for a few hours and then I had a message telling me that the server (actually the working profile) had logged off. So I went back to that profile and re-abled sharing and then logged back into the other profile and again it was working. Then I got the message about the profile logging off again and since then i have not been able to get my PC to share with the HR20 again. I even uninstalled WMP11 again and installed it using the working profile yet this time when I login there is no systray icon saying that it found the HR20.

tcmears said:
No, I can't ping the IP either. I have run port scans and come up with nothing. There is obviously some kind of firewall on the HR20 (smart move) so that we can't hack into it. As far as your "should be able to use with WMP11" thought goes, D* actually only promised that it will work with ViiV enbedded systems. However, I would imagine that there is something else going on with your computer/network, as I don't have a ViiV system and have it running fine with WMP11. Can you elaborate on what the issues are? Does this happen if you leave the PC logged in under the correct profile?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get that 100%

I even installed Twonky that is how much I want to be able to use this feature.

Fuynny thing happened. I installed Twonky. Then I went to the HR20 and it could not see the Twonky server. Maybe I missed something there. The irony of it all is that I did a RBR on the HR20 and when it came back up and I came back to my PC my WMP11 is now again seeing the HR20 and for the first time under my profile that never ever was able to see it.

I can not verify that the HR20 sees my media on here because the TV is in use at the moment but as soon as I can I will see if I can again view Pictures and Music at the HR20.

bonscott87 said:
Keep in mind that the only thing that is supported and programed to work is ViiV. Using WMP11 at this point is not much more then a hack that isn't supported at this point.

·
AllStar
70 Posts
Mixer, I understand your frustration. However, there have been other posts about WMP and the HR20 not really getting along. I have Twonky and I think it's great. It was up and running in less than two hours. I am having problems getting Internet Radio to work, but otherwise I'm streaming my Itunes playlist and viewing my digital pics to my HR20 and I'm happy with it.

Last I checked, Twonky was $29.95 USD. It sounds to me like you have already spent that money in aggravation trying to get WMP to work. I have not found a media streaming device for under $125. Devices like Apple's Airport and Logitech's products are over $100. If you already have a broadband net in your house and you can get a connection to your HR20, I think Twonky is the bargain of the year.

Good luck.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Keep in mind that the only thing that is supported and programed to work is ViiV. Using WMP11 at this point is not much more then a hack that isn't supported at this point.
And it's still not 100% supported because this is still a "beta" release..

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't paid anything for Twonky. I was going to trial it to see if it would work for me. right now WMP11 is working although I am not sure how long that will last. If WMP stops working again then I am going to install (and read all about) twonky one more time. If that doesnt work for me then i will throw in the towel for sure.

Thanks for the replies. I understand that this is not really supposed to even be working since it is beta and I am on a non VIIV PC it's just that i really want to get this feature working.

I would pay for Twonky if it worked and becomes my only resort.

dpluta said:
Mixer, I understand your frustration. However, there have been other posts about WMP and the HR20 not really getting along. I have Twonky and I think it's great. It was up and running in less than two hours. I am having problems getting Internet Radio to work, but otherwise I'm streaming my Itunes playlist and viewing my digital pics to my HR20 and I'm happy with it.

Last I checked, Twonky was $29.95 USD. It sounds to me like you have already spent that money in aggravation trying to get WMP to work. I have not found a media streaming device for under $125. Devices like Apple's Airport and Logitech's products are over $100. If you already have a broadband net in your house and you can get a connection to your HR20, I think Twonky is the bargain of the year.

Good luck.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Also look at Tversity. For me pics and music is fine but I want video serving. My alternative is to manage this thru XBox360. This is my point I made to D* on the ViiV thread....if they don't enable this for music, pics and video folks will use other boxes to do this and the HR20 slides back to being just a fancy VCR. I'm really hoping they are working on this because if they think Intel ViiV and MS MCE is the sole answer they are going to get hood-winked long term.

My two cents....probably worth a penny. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool to hear that TVersity works for you. I had read on a few other threads that it wasnt working well for music. I will have to look into that as well. Is the setup for TVersity straight forward? Is there a config manual I should read or be aware of?

thekochs said:
Also look at Tversity. For me pics and music is fine but I want video serving. My alternative is to manage this thru XBox360. This is my point I made to D* on the ViiV thread....if they don't enable this for music, pics and video folks will use other boxes to do this and the HR20 slides back to being just a fancy VCR. I'm really hoping they are working on this because if they think Intel ViiV and MS MCE is the sole answer they are going to get hood-winked long term.

·
AllStar
81 Posts
Mixer said:
It took me a while to get it working also. Seems solid now. However, even though it is working fine, the HR-20 will not respond to a ping. I wonder if DTV configured it purposely this way since it is connected to the internet.

·
Icon
752 Posts
Mixer...
If there are no other options restart windows media player network sharing services( I put a shortcut on the desktop till someone much smarter than I can help!!!

ps restart it eventhough it is started

Not a good solution but a quick one!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will try that next time it craps out on me. Seems like each time this happens though we will be required to restart the service and possbily have to RBR the HR20 as well. At least that is what I am reading a lot in the other threads.

jlancaster said:
Mixer...
If there are no other options restart windows media player network sharing services( I put a shortcut on the desktop till someone much smarter than I can help!!!

ps restart it eventhough it is started

Not a good solution but a quick one!

·
Icon
752 Posts
Mixer said:
I will try that next time it craps out on me. Seems like each time this happens though we will be required to restart the service and possbily have to RBR the HR20 as well. At least that is what I am reading a lot in the other threads.
u helped me last night...it is finally running for about 3 hrs now paused once and now is running perfectly... I gotta my love to keepa me warm

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The best news I have today is that the profile I am currently logged in with has finally discovered the HR20 and told me about it in the systray so I have to beleieve that I am in better shape than I was previous to this.

Here it is 9 hours after I started this thread and still I have not thrown in the towel on it. I didn;t want to waste more time on this but it turns out I am glad I did.

If WMP11 fails again I will try the other suggested software and if those do not have better resuts I will chalk it up as something that was not meant to be right now.

I am more psyched for the On Demand features that the HR20 should be getting by second quarter next year anyway.

jlancaster said:
u helped me last night...it is finally running for about 3 hrs now paused once and now is running perfectly... I gotta my love to keepa me warm

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
thekochs said:

And the HR20 is a HD tuner and "fancy VCR" first and foremost. The media extender functions may be only what we see now, or they may evolve - just don't know yet. If your xbox works then use that for now - I just hooked up my dlink box which works great for all media - if I didn't already have it, I may have waited to see where this was going. And if and when the media features of the 20 catch up, then I can put the Dlink on Ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.