DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Godfather
513 Posts
lacubs said:
because that the rule, if your local network doesn't do the game it will be blackout, you can't watch the other team broadcast
I know the NBA often does lift blackouts for the opponents broadcast on League Pass. Last year I checked a couple Grizzlies games that weren't telecast locally and the other feed was in the clear. I don't know how this works with NBATV.

· Cool Member
31 Posts
I think somebody screwed up on this one.

The game was a sellout, it wasn't being televised locally, and the Wolves themselves had the game listed as being broadcast on NBATV on their website.

In the past, if a game wasn't broadcast locally, the other team's broadcast would be available via NBA League Pass. For some reason, that broadcast wasn't available on League Pass last night (not even on NBA League Pass broadband!).

There was no reason for the game to be blacked out -- there was no local broadcast, and the game was sold out. The Timberwolves themselves were the main losers, because thousands of people in the Twin Cities area who wanted to watch the game were not able to.

I called and e-mailed DirecTV, and their responses were that there was nothing they could do, the blackouts were determined by the league, and they had to comply. Of course it took them 20 minutes of my time to come to that determination.

I called and e-mailed the Timberwolves. The woman I talked to on the phone said that the game should've been broadcast and that she was looking in to it. She said she'd call me back with a resolution -- I'm still waiting for that call. No response to my e-mails.

I complained via the Wolves' social media (Twitter/Facebook), but no response whatsoever.

I e-mailed Jerry Zgoda at the Star Tribune -- he said that as best he could tell, the NBA screwed up, believing that the game was televised locally.

If I don't get a satisfactory response (read: refund!) from the Wolves or DirecTV, I am going to drop the NBA League Pass and not renew it anymore. There's no sense having it if they are just going to arbitrarily black out games. I watch a few non-Wolves games during the season, but I mainly have it to watch the 10-20 games that the Wolves fail to broadcast every year.

· Icon
925 Posts
PRT940 said:
I think somebody screwed up on this one.

The game was a sellout, it wasn't being televised locally, and the Wolves themselves had the game listed as being broadcast on NBATV on their website.

In the past, if a game wasn't broadcast locally, the other team's broadcast would be available via NBA League Pass. For some reason, that broadcast wasn't available on League Pass last night (not even on NBA League Pass broadband!).

There was no reason for the game to be blacked out -- there was no local broadcast, and the game was sold out. The Timberwolves themselves were the main losers, because thousands of people in the Twin Cities area who wanted to watch the game were not able to.

I called and e-mailed DirecTV, and their responses were that there was nothing they could do, the blackouts were determined by the league, and they had to comply. Of course it took them 20 minutes of my time to come to that determination.

I called and e-mailed the Timberwolves. The woman I talked to on the phone said that the game should've been broadcast and that she was looking in to it. She said she'd call me back with a resolution -- I'm still waiting for that call. No response to my e-mails.

I complained via the Wolves' social media (Twitter/Facebook), but no response whatsoever.

I e-mailed Jerry Zgoda at the Star Tribune -- he said that as best he could tell, the NBA screwed up, believing that the game was televised locally.

If I don't get a satisfactory response (read: refund!) from the Wolves or DirecTV, I am going to drop the NBA League Pass and not renew it anymore. There's no sense having it if they are just going to arbitrarily black out games. I watch a few non-Wolves games during the season, but I mainly have it to watch the 10-20 games that the Wolves fail to broadcast every year.
It's not an error. Even if the game isn't televised by a local RSN, the NBA TV broadcast will be blacked out unless the T-Wolves waive the blackout. Sellouts have nothing to do with blackouts in MLB, NBA, and NHL, and people really need to stop posting about it.

· Cool Member
31 Posts
adkinsjm said:
It's not an error. Even if the game isn't televised by a local RSN, the NBA TV broadcast will be blacked out unless the T-Wolves waive the blackout. Sellouts have nothing to do with blackouts in MLB, NBA, and NHL, and people really need to stop posting about it.
And you know this because?

I've watched plenty of Wolves games on both NBATV and League Pass that were not televised locally.

What makes you say it was not an error?

And I'll allow you to post a response. :hurah:

· Cool Member
31 Posts
Score. :)

I filled out an online DirecTV survey about my call (re: the Wolves/Hornets game getting blacked out) the other night. The survey had an option to request that somebody call me to discuss my issue. The DirecTV guy called me tonight, and he couldn't find any reason why the game should've been blacked out. So he offered me a $20 credit on my bill for the next six months. I'm sure the fact that I've been a DirecTV and NBA League Pass customer for the last 13 years had something to do with it.

$120 for missing one game. Pretty sweet. It pays to complain, I guess. Kudos to DirecTV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.