DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is going to be used for a special application, that being the transfer of film to video and then to DVD and/or tape. It may also be used for transfer of video tape to DVD, but the film application is the critical one. I will be using this: http://www.moviestuff.tv/wp_xp.html for the transfer process. Here is how this item works: http://www.moviestuff.tv/workprinter8mm_function.html
FAQ Page: http://www.moviestuff.tv/faq.html

The computer MUST have the following:
1. XP Professional.
2. Raid-0 capability, possibly with an add on card after delivery (I just purchased 2 250G HD's for this machine, RAID must be NON SATA).
3. HD for operating system.
4. Firewire capability (for the video camera into the computer.
5. I'll probably add an M Audio Audiophile192 sound card which is what I have in my current computer.
6. I'll probably add a KVM switcher so I won't need a monitor/keyboard/mouse
7. I'll be adding a TV Tuner/video capture card which I already have.
8. Lots of memory so it doesn't get bogged down.
9. I'll need a balanced 2x stereo in 1x stereo out audio switcher to continue using my "computer speakers", a pair of JBL LSR4328's, but I will probably be able to find that, somewhere.
10. Other goodies and suggestions as necessary.

I have purchased from Tigerdirect.com in the past, but don't want to go there again because they are in Florida and I get hit with 7% sales tax. Any suggestions of other places? Should I simply try to get components and build it myself. I know enough to be dangerous. If so, suggestions for where to source the components?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,422 Posts
Richard King said:
This one is going to be used for a special application, that being the transfer of film to video and then to DVD and/or tape.
Your needs are relatively simple. I wouldn't auction off the farm.

SATA RAID is probably OK as long as it isn't motherboard (software) based. Whatever you choose, the RAID controller should probably be the most expensive component in the storage subsystem. SCSI is always better, but it costs at least five times as much.

You'll need to be vigilant about pulldown for tape. DVD supports 24fps, but several tape formats don't.

Intel based computers *may* provide better software transcoding performance if you find that you need to process the captures for frame rate or scaling.

NewEgg.com is always a favorite for components.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments. The maker of the film equipment specifies that SATA not be used (for some reason) which is why I bought ATA drives.

The film device actually downloads each frame of the film one at a time (6+ frames per second) and the software they recommend does all the timing adjustments required to produce the video. This method, in theory, produces much better quality since the frame grabbing is actually done directly from the film, through a custom lens, and the whole frame is used. I still need to buy the camcorder for this purpose also.

I'll take a look at the NewEgg site. I have been there before, and I think purchased an item or two from them in the past.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
Richard: A few places I might suggest: falcon-nw.com, alienware.com, cyberpowerpc.com
Although each of these companies is known for their gaming computers, they all will provide customized systems to your specifications. They all have good reputaions for quality and service. If you're interested in HP systems, I'd go to their online site to see what they have to offer, or check frys.com
Of course, there's always Dell, but they probably have a presence in Florida, so would collect sales tax.

·
Child of the 60's
3,127 Posts
Richard, If you're going to have one built, check out the guys at creaturehtpc.com. They built my HTPC and delivered great value at a good price. If you're going to roll your own, I agree that newegg is a good company to deal with. Very fair prices.

Good luck!

John

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I am most impressed with Cyberpower.com, but will be looking into all of them some more tomorrow. I suspect most of my configuring will have to be done on the phone. It appears that my main problem may be getting into a NON SATA raid configuration at this point in time. Looks like everyone has gone to SATA. I have two 250G Non SATA drives sitting here waiting to be installed in the new machine.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
You piqued my curiousity, and oh, yeah! not only is the picture wrong, but so is the descriptive text! Makes me wonder if the price quote is right as well.
Found the same unit on newegg at a bit higher price, but they do offer 3 day (and sooner) shipping as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102048

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spoke to the folks at provantage and went ahead and ordered last night. It should be here before I leave for CES on Jan 7th. Then again, maybe I should have waited and scoped out any bargains at CES. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.