DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AllStar
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned my HR-20 & went back to my good old SD Tivo. Is the HR-20 working now? I want to hear from the people who had serious problems, not the HR-20 apologists who berated us for complaining. Tony Snow would have been very proud of you:p ! I would love your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
alexcohen said:
I returned my HR-20 & went back to my good old SD Tivo. Is the HR-20 working now? I want to hear from the people who had serious problems, not the HR-20 apologists who berated us for complaining. Tony Snow would have been very proud of you:p ! I would love your thoughts.
Nope, I would wait another year or so, just to be sure you'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
alexcohen said:
It's much better IMO but still has it's problems.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I know you said you didn't want to hear from apologists...

but as one who has been accused of that, I do agree with hasan. If you're saying you want the level of stability you're used to from a DirecTivo, it's not time to come back.

Things are definitely much much better, though, and if you're into a little tinkering and patience, you might find the HD experience rewarding.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
lamontcranston said:

but as one who has been accused of that, I do agree with hasan. If you're saying you want the level of stability you're used to from a DirecTivo, it's not time to come back.

Things are definitely much much better, though, and if you're into a little tinkering and patience, you might find the HD experience rewarding.
Lamont, you captured my "drift" and sentiments precisely. Good job!:D

·
Mentor
49 Posts
lamontcranston said:

I agree completely. Perhaps in another 10-14 months.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
Why don't you just wait until this forum is full of celebratory posts, instead of all of these constant problems? DirecTV could release an update next month that makes the HR20 rock solid, or it could go it's entire lifetime without achieving that status. These arbitrary timeframes being tossed around in this thread are pointless. Nobody, including DirecTV, knows how long it will take to get the HR20 to be perfectly stable.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Why don't you just wait until this forum is full of celebratory posts, instead of all of these constant problems? DirecTV could release an update next month that makes the HR20 rock solid, or it could go it's entire lifetime without achieving that status. These arbitrary timeframes being tossed around in this thread are pointless. Nobody, including DirecTV, knows how long it will take to get the HR20 to be perfectly stable.
The way I figure it by the time it's perfect some other new technology will come out. :)

As noted by Lamont and Hasan, "tinkering" is a good word chose. If DTV continues on the same development path they're on, we'll continue to see improvements in the way of stability.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Geez, you sure missed what I was getting at...but if you have to explain a hyperbolic remark, it kinda loses its utility:D

You want pointless, you can't take pointless! (apologies to Mr. Nicholson);)

(Hint: no one was seriously proposing any real timeline...it was hyperbole (exaggeration for the sake of effect....it obviously didn't have the intended effect))

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
You said - I would love your thoughts, so here's mine.

I got mine in October and it's been fine.

I've had a few hiccups, had to reset it a few times, but I've never thought about send it back.

That's my thoughts.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Had it about a month, and the worst problems I've encountered were a lost HDMI handshake, and continuing occasional DD audio dropouts on Discovery HD (which never happen if I have Dd off). That's it - otherwise - solid.

EDIT: BTW - On Discovery HD, I've noticed that during any commercials/promos, there's never an audio dropout and I can actually hear the 5.1. On many of the programs, it's DD 2/0 (not even 3/2), and that's where the dropouts happen more (IMO these programs have been upfaked to DD).

·
Icon
797 Posts
alexcohen said:
The HR20 is working, but you should stick with your SD Tivo. You two seem like a better match.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
In September, I extended my contract 2 years like everyone else to activate this equipment. Since there is Verizon FiOS TV in my area there was some doubt whether I should lock myself in again to D*. In my fact I'm getting FiOS installed in a couple weeks for internet/phone only, I will have to hold off on their TV service, if ever. I hear they have buggy DVRs.

However, I am happy enough with the D* service, and upgrade offers. This unit has been great to use.

·
Icon
728 Posts
I'm thinking of canning DTV myself. Haven't had any real major problems with my HR20, just sick and tired of DTV's business practices. It's the principle of the matter.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Strejcek said:
I'm thinking of canning DTV myself. Haven't had any real major problems with my HR20, just sick and tired of DTV's business practices. It's the principle of the matter.
That's a good idea. Those cable companies are so much better. :lol:

Good luck with all that. :p

·
AllStar
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NEWS FLASH!
My brother is not tech-savvy, he has trouble turning on a light switch. He got a HR-20 & had many of the same problems we have all had. I made him tell me that I was right & he should have listened to me in the first place. After about 2 months he Called D to return it & the CSR had him reformat (I would have loved to see that!) & he got the west coast update. According to him it's working 95% better. I'll use him as a guinea pig for a while & see what happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.