DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· AllStar
86 Posts
Since I have had version P153, I have set up 3 back-to-back timers on several occasions and have not had any problems at all (record once timers).

I wonder why some 501s exhibit this problem while others don't?

· AllStar
86 Posts
I guess I spoke too soon on my previous post... Last night I had 3 back-to-back timers set for the same channel. The first one recorded normally. However the 2nd and 3rd shows got lumped into one big recording, and the 501 never shut off (it just kept on recording, adding the next show to the other 2).

I am glad I was watching TV when this occurred so that I was able to manually stop the recording (I was watching the first show that I had recorded). If I hadn't been watching TV at the time, the 501 would probably have just kept recording until there was no more space on the hard drive, (and most likely would have erased the unprotected recordings that I hadn't watched yet).

So far, I have not had a problem with back-to-back recordings on different channels. Has anyone else had problems with back-to-back recordings?

· AllStar
86 Posts
Originally posted by DarrellP
Why bother with back to back timers? If you know you want a time slot for 3 shows, select the first one, then edit it to run for 1 1/2 hrs and start 1 minute early. Problem solved.
I have used this method many times in the past, however there are times when I would rather record them separately (for example, I might want to save one of the shows, but not the other two). Also, my wife does not know how to edit a timer.

For me, this problem with back to back timers started with version P153, and only occurs with back to back timers on the same channel. The problem does not occur every time. About 75% of the time the back to back timers work fine; the other 25% of the time the shows get lumped into one big recording, and the 501 never stops recording (after the last show has been recorded). Every time that this problem has occurred, I happened to be watching TV at the time, so I was able to manually stop the recording. If I wasn't there to manually stop the recording, this would have been a more serious issue.

As a temporary solution, if I know that I am not going to be there to manually stop the recording, I just set one long timer as DarrellP described, but I sure hope that dish fixes this problem soon.

The thing that I don't understand is why does it work OK 75% of the time and fail 25% of the time?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.