DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Mentor
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I find this very frustrating. I have had the premium channels for years now, and the custom for big movies (as I'm sure many of you are aware) is to premiere them on a Saturday or Sunday night, and then move them to the On Demand Channel for that package.

But my wife just called me to inform me that Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is showing on Cinemax right now (3:00 EST) and it is not on Cinemax On Demand. So I checked their website which has their weekend premieres for now through the beginning of November, and there is no sign of it showing up.

FRUSTRATING! Anyone else surprised by this?? I wish there were a way to converse directly with these channels, because I know my provider will just tell me "We don't set the schedule".
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16,423 Posts
Today's 2:30pm showing wasn't the premier. I have it recorded from 9/6 at 2:05am.

They may not have the rights to put it on VOD and the movie studio may not have negotiated for a weekend night premier.

It's not even a movie that Cinemax is promoting on their website right now.
 

· Charter Gold Club Member
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
I have Comcast -- my EPG is showing on Cinemax in HD tomorrow (Thursday 9/13/2012) at 2:30-4:30 pm Eastern.

Thanks, Rnrboy, for the reminder, I'm looking forward to watching it.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,087 Posts
Nick said:
I have Comcast -- my EPG is showing on Cinemax in HD tomorrow (Thursday 9/13/2012) at 2:30-4:30 pm Eastern.

Thanks, Rnrboy, for the reminder, I'm looking forward to watching it.
My guide is showing it as having multiple showings over the next few days. Kinda hard to miss.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lparsons21 said:
My guide is showing it as having multiple showings over the next few days. Kinda hard to miss.
It would have been easy for me to miss. I don't normally scroll over all my Cinemax channels to find movies.

This is the first time I am aware of in the 6 years or so I've had all these channels where a movie this big didn't get an official premiere night and move to On Demand around the same time.

I guess I'll have to TIVO it too. But it's still disconcerting. I always watch movies @ home since I get every single premium and I've always been able to catch every movie I've wanted to see without going to the theater.

This plants a small seed of doubt in that approach...
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,087 Posts
I didn't scroll to find it, I just used DirecTV's HR24 to do a search. After reading your first post, I was rather surprised that it showed up as often as it did.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lparsons21 said:
I didn't scroll to find it, I just used DirecTV's HR24 to do a search. After reading your first post, I was rather surprised that it showed up as often as it did.
Right, but how would you have known to search for it in the first place if I hadn't posted this? ;)

That's my point, Cinemax aren't exactly pushing it like most premium channels push big movies.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,087 Posts
Fair enough. I wouldn't have thought about it at all if it wasn't for this thread.

I've read the book and enjoyed it and am recording it now to watch at my leisure.
 

· Old Guys Rule!
Joined
·
5,048 Posts
It was on limited release when is was in theaters earlier this year -- mainly in "art" theaters. Local critic was ambivalent about it -- citing the slow start and development of the Smiley character, but said as previously noted here that the picture picked up momentum as it went on.
I never got around to seeing it, and am thinking about streaming the original Guiness version of the story..
 

· Retired Member
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
Cholly said:
It was on limited release when is was in theaters earlier this year -- mainly in "art" theaters. Local critic was ambivalent about it -- citing the slow start and development of the Smiley character, but said as previously noted here that the picture picked up momentum as it went on.
I never got around to seeing it, and am thinking about streaming the original Guiness version of the story..
You shouldn't regret it ... good story with a not-so-predictable ending.
 

· 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
Is Cinemax even showing it in OAR? 2.35:1 for this specific movie.

Edit: I checked the showing on ActionMAX HD and it's not OAR...
 

· Charter Gold Club Member
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
I happen to like cerebral, us vs them coldwar espionage flicks. Oldman, Firth, Hurt and others were at their understated, stiff-upper-lip best. *****
 

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,115 Posts
Dang! The thing about those types of movies is you have to both pay attention, and think! I saw TTSS some time ago, and lapsed in both areas.
Therefor I am going to watch it again, and view it as a challenge.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top