DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Godfather
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched "Full Metal Jacket" the other night. It was free on one of my pay channels....that I pay for.

Now I want to watch it again and I see it is available on Ch 1100 as a 1080P movie, but they want me to pay $3.99 for it.

This really pisses me off. I pay already and now they want me to pay again!!

Have they no shame!!!!

· Registered
6,660 Posts
"-Draino-" said:
I just watched "Full Metal Jacket" the other night. It was free on one of my pay channels....that I pay for.

Now I want to watch it again and I see it is available on Ch 1100 as a 1080P movie, but they want me to pay $3.99 for it.

Have they no shame!!!!
Are you serious? Really? The movie was available on a channel. DirecTV also had it available as a PPV. While it is the same movie, these are entirely separate offerings. Just because a network (such as AMC, HBO, or TNT air a particular movie as part of their programming, it does not mean that a provider cannot then offer that same movie as a VOD/PPV option.

In this case Encore is paying for the right to broadcast it and DirecTV is also paying for the right to offer it as VOD/PPV. This happens all the time. Encore is actually showing it twice today (Wednesday) and once in February.

I cannot believe you actually got mad about this.

· Registered
4,149 Posts
You can get it on a used Blu-ray on Amazon $6.50 and get all the "EXTRA" content and watch it forever :) or till your player gives out

· Premium Member
11,520 Posts
-Draino- said:

Have they no shame!!!!
The movie was never "free" as you put it. You payed for it with your subscription to your premium channel. It airs more then once which gives you another chance at viewing it or recording it on your DVR. When you subscribe to cable, satellite, ect. you are technically paying for all your programing. If you want free TV use a off air antenna.

· Hall Of Fame
1,221 Posts
Can't wait for the reverse of this. I paid to watch Back to the Future on ppv/vod and NOW I see HBO has it for free on demand!!! How dare them!!!!!! Or I paid Directv for a boxing ppv and the next week HBO aired it for free!!!!!! Jerks!!!!!! I want a refund!!!!!!!

· Premium Member
11,520 Posts
zimm7778 said:
Can't wait for the reverse of this. I paid to watch Back to the Future on ppv/vod and NOW I see HBO has it for free on demand!!! How dare them!!!!!! Or I paid Directv for a boxing ppv and the next week HBO aired it for free!!!!!! Jerks!!!!!! I want a refund!!!!!!!
:lol: Your funny......seriously, I wonder why some people don't use Smart Search to check on upcoming events they want to view before diving into PPV?

· Godfather
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MysteryMan said:
:lol: Your funny......seriously, I wonder why some people don't use Smart Search to check on upcoming events they want to view before diving into PPV?
OK ok ok, I get it. I will revise my post!!! I watched it on a premium channel but it is not available on that pay channels counter part (VOD).

I did a smart search and this is what happened....on my H24-100 it showed the movie on EACT, so I set it to record to my DVR. On my HR24-500 the smart search refused to show it on EACT and ONLY showed it on Ch1100 in 1080P. EACT is not HD but when I watched it the other night it was on a premium channel in HD.

I'm not mad anymore!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

· Hall Of Fame
1,221 Posts
The ultimate of all ppv ripoffs is Showtime Championship Boxing. Every month Showtime offers the same show you can see on Showtime at the exact same time live for $30. You can order a month of Showtime for at the most $12.99. But again, if you don't check into all that ahead of time that's your fault not Directvs or Showtimes.

· Icon
1,083 Posts
MysteryMan said:
One reason is the issue I brought up before (below)

Xsabresx said:
Thursday night the wife and I were watching Christine on AMC. They were doing some Steven King thing so I started going through the guide looking to see what other King movies were going to be on. I found The Shining but couldnt record it because there would have been a conflict. I went to Smart Search to see what other nights it was going to be on and the only hit I got was the VOD (for $3.99). I went to the first entry in the guide and chose "View Upcoming" and found two instances where it was going to be on AMC.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, is it normal for Smart Search to miss on occasion? It isnt like it wasnt listed in the guide. The second showing is tomorrow; only 3 days away from when I was doing the search and View Upcoming found it anyway.

I guess I know now that View Upcoming is the better way to go.

FWIW all of this was on my HR23-700

· Legend
213 Posts
Be lucky you've got VOD. My broadband isn't fast enough to support D* on it. I'm lucky HBO Go and Netflix apps work on my ipod touch with it. Paying $3.99 for 1080P on VOD is reasonable because if they offered it for Free then the cost to put it on VOD (hard drive space, bandwidth, etc) would have to be passed on to all of that premium channels subscribers and not just you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.