DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TIVO Series 3 with HD support for OTA and cable cards is looking varying attractive right now. What do you guys think? Seems DirecTV made a HUGE mistake when they decided not to do business with TIVO anymore and build and support the HR 20 in-house.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
rutlean said:
The TIVO Series 3 with HD support for OTA and cable cards is looking varying attractive right now. What do you guys think? Seems DirecTV made a HUGE mistake when they decided not to do business with TIVO anymore and build and support the HR 20 in-house.
Go to Tivo boards and read how "attractive" it is. The grass isn't always greener.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sigma1914 said:
Go to Tivo boards and read how "attractive" it is. The grass isn't always greener.
There having problems too? I didn't even think to look there. It seems that as HD technology gets better, the service gets worse.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeremy W said:
I think there are forums where you can discuss the Tivo S3 and how awesome it is, but this isn't one of them.
:confused:
I was simply asking for a comparison of the two and what people thought. The first response gave me what I was looking for. Your smart a$$ comment serves no purpose at all.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
rutlean said:
There having problems too? I didn't even think to look there. It seems that as HD technology gets better, the service gets worse.
They have pages & pages of issues. But, as is here, some people have had smooth sailing.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51

You are looking at at least $600 per Series 3... then you need to add teh monthly service fee on that, which ranges depending on how much you want to pre-pay.

Plus, depending on your local cable co's... it could be easy as cake to get cable-cards... others it could be a nightmare.

Be sure to do your investigations, and TCF is a great place to start.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51

You are looking at at least $600 per Series 3... then you need to add teh monthly service fee on that, which ranges depending on how much you want to pre-pay.

Plus, depending on your local cable co's... it could be easy as cake to get cable-cards... others it could be a nightmare.

Be sure to do your investigations, and TCF is a great place to start.
Our cable company here sucks. It's mediacom and they kind of have a monopoly on out of town cable subscribers, so no competition. I doubt they even have cable cards yet and if they did they would difinitely charge a high rate for them. The high upfront cost and monthly fee makes buying a series three pretty unpractical for most people.

Was there a monthly TIVO fee associated with the HR10? From the way everyone talks about it, it sure seems that a new TIVO with MPEG 4 support would have been really nice. I don't mean to trash the HR20. I am sure it will be awesome once everything is worked out. It just seems like there is a religous following for the HR10. Had I known about the ota status before ordering the HR20, I might have waited. However, our cable service was really pathetic. I just couldn't keep giving them money and looking myself in the mirror every morning. The HR20 bugs don't bother me at all. That comes with all new things. But I would rather have additional bugs with OTA than less bugs without.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There was a monthly fee associated with the HR10.... $4.99 a month.
But that $4.99 covered your entire account... so if you where someone like me... 1 $4.99 fee, covered all 6 of my DTivos that I had active.

As for the OTA... that will all be resolved... fairly soon.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
But that $4.99 covered your entire account... so if you where someone like me... 1 $4.99 fee, covered all 6 of my DTivos that I had active.

Earl,

Didn't that one $4.99/month fee cover all the Directv DVRs you had, not just Tivos?

And if you signed up for Total Choice Premier or Titanium (yeah, like i could afford that), the DVR service fee was included. (There still is a per receiver fee for each receiver after the first one for Total Choice Premier.)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
tibber said:
Earl,

Didn't that one $4.99/month fee cover all the Directv DVRs you had, not just Tivos?

And if you signed up for Total Choice Premier or Titanium (yeah, like i could afford that), the DVR service fee was included. (There still is a per receiver fee for each receiver after the first one for Total Choice Premier.)

Cheers,
Tom
The $4.99/$5.99 fee (it was raised a dollar about a year ago, but some people are still grandfathered in).

Covers all DTivos and DirecTV Plus DVRs
It did not cover the Ultimate TV, which was it's own seperate fee (I think $10)

The fee was included in Premier... and Titanium, well.... For that volume of programming, it best be included for certain.

And yes, in all plans except Titanium, there is the per receiver fee

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Earl Bonovich said:

That sounds like an awesome deal. Is the HR10 completely discontinued by D*. Do you think I could call D* retention and get an HR10 until the ota on HR20 is enabled? I have seen them for sale on ebay, but how would you activate them if you bought one like that?

Thanks for the info.:)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
rutlean said:
That sounds like an awesome deal. Is the HR10 completely discontinued by D*. Do you think I could call D* retention and get an HR10 until the ota on HR20 is enabled? I have seen them for sale on ebay, but how would you activate them if you bought one like that?

Thanks for the info.:)
The manufacturing of the HR10-250 was stopped about 18 months ago.
Shortly after the release of the HR20, DirecTV stop selling them.

There is only minimal stock around the country (from DirecTV) as replacements to existing ones... and even that isn't guaranteed.

You would have to go through a thrid party vendor or ebay. Some BestBuy's still have them on shelf.

You would activate them the same you would activate a new one. The only difference is that you may have to purchase a new access card from DirecTV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.