DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cable Net Teamed With Defense Contractor to Create "Stretch-O-Vision"

TNT has long been offering one of the best, and most frustrating, HD channels on
basic cable.

The TNT movie library is an enviable collection of titles that appeal directly to the
adult male HD-viewer demographic. Hundreds of quality action and drama movies
like "The Matrix," "Gladiator," "Saving Private Ryan," "Panic Room" and the Lord
of the Rings trilogy are on the list.

At the same time, HD fans have long complained about some TNT HD movies being
presented in "Stretch-O-Vision"-a soft, stretched out, upconverted picture that's far
from an HD ideal.

Turns out, the road to "Stretch-O-Vision" was paved with good intentions, and
increasingly, more proper HD fare is on the way. ...

Full story @ TVWeek.com

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
I sent TNT an e-mail that probably got filed in the circular file asking if it would kill them to have black bars on the sides of the screen when not presenting 16x9 content. Stretching the picture is NEVER a good idea.

See ya
Tony

·
Legend
177 Posts
Good post... Out of all the HD programming I receive, TNT HD has been the most irritating.

I only had the 622 installed today and have been playing around with the HD channels.

It's got this totally unnatural panoramic/skew that driving me nuts. Glad to know it’s not a problem with my hardware or an isolated issue, but still disappointing.

So it looks like we’re SOL with TNT HD… I wonder if that one year contract expires as of the press release or it’s going to expire soon.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
When they do show real HD, TNTHD is a very nice channel... but they baffle me sometimes with their choices of programming. They regularly air movies and TV shows that should be available to them in widescreen and HD... but instead they will show stretch-o-vision.

Also, while they do show Law & Order in HD most of the time.... every once in a while the opening credits and initial segment will be stretch-o until after the first commercial break, as if someone forgot to set things up.

·
Legend
177 Posts
HDMe said:
Also, while they do show Law & Order in HD most of the time.... every once in a while the opening credits and initial segment will be stretch-o until after the first commercial break, as if someone forgot to set things up.
That's hilarious... That reminds me of our local affiliates that forgot to remove their logo's during commercials.

"Ooops, we forgot to flick on the HD switch on our 'HD' channel!"

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Yeah, it's crazy... When they show back-to-back episodes of Law & Order it gets really confusing. You will be watching the end of a show in HD... then they squish it up and show the credits at the bottom while starting the next episode up top... when they unsquish, it is not in HD... and this will stay through the opening sequence, the credits, and until the end of the first commercial break.

Apparently there is some manual intervention required in their credit squishing routine, and while they do it right much of the time, sometimes they mess up and I guess they can't fix it until the next commercial. Very much like similar problems with OTA when someone is asleep at the wheel.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HDMe said:
...Apparently there is some manual intervention required in their credit squishing routine, and while they do it right much of the time, sometimes they mess up and I guess they can't fix it until the next commercial. Very much like similar problems with OTA when someone is asleep at the wheel.
I'm not so sure the screw-ups are manually induced, unless those in the control
room are snorting their Big Macs, which may, or may not be the case -- either
way, I'm not saying.

But, as they say, to really foul things up requires a computer. ;)

·
Legend
177 Posts
HDMe said:
Yeah, it's crazy... When they show back-to-back episodes of Law & Order it gets really confusing. You will be watching the end of a show in HD... then they squish it up and show the credits at the bottom while starting the next episode up top... when they unsquish, it is not in HD... and this will stay through the opening sequence, the credits, and until the end of the first commercial break.

Apparently there is some manual intervention required in their credit squishing routine, and while they do it right much of the time, sometimes they mess up and I guess they can't fix it until the next commercial. Very much like similar problems with OTA when someone is asleep at the wheel.
:lol:

I'll definatley be checking out some episodes of Law & Order. I would love to see what that looks like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.