DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not the highest ratings, I was surprised how much we liked the show.

It's a good vehicle for Eric McCormack to demonstrate his acting skills and the talented Rachael Leigh Cook is an interesting choice for an FBI agent. They are strongly supported by LaVar Burton (Star Trek: Next Generation) and Kelly Rowan (The OC), as well as Ravi Patel and Arjay Smith.

It's another crime procedural, but if the writing settles in it could be a keeper for the long term.

· Godfather
521 Posts
Actually, I thought it was mediocre. When the most interesting plot element was a student who wanted to have an affair with the professor, it doesn't say too much for the show. Surely you guessed the truth about his therapist before the reveal.

· Godfather
300 Posts
It was okay. The "body on the floor" cop show with expert consultant is not a new category. This one does have possibilities as it seems lightly based on John Nash (A Beautiful Mind) who actually did work for the CIA at one time.

· Godfather
347 Posts
Thanx,
I will give it the 3 epi. test.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spartanstew said:
I will give it the standard 1/3 of an episode test.
Wow. You're a tough critic. I've never seen a pilot I couldn't pick to pieces.

I almost always give a new show 3 episodes. I say almost because there have been exceptions.;)

· HarpoonIPA
1,834 Posts
I had such high hopes for it from the previews, then I watched it and became very disappointed and cancelled it from my season pass

· Godfather
521 Posts
1980ws said:
Lost interest pretty quickly. Then the George Bush segment - "click".
I have to agree. I nearly shut it off then, but if I had, I would have missed the very end where the guy was watching a Bill Clinton segment and laughing his head off. Still, as I said, on the bubble, maybe, maybe not. I'll giv eit another episode, but if it fails to grab me, SP deleted.

· Whatever
1,565 Posts
1980ws said:
Lost interest pretty quickly. Then the George Bush segment - "click".
I happen to agree with the point but also found that a bit over the top when watching it.

· Godfather
501 Posts
pfp said:
I happen to agree with the point but also found that a bit over the top when watching it.
Not as over the top as that large picture of Obama that appears on every episode of "Eureka". They even frame the shots so your eye is drawn to it.:rolleyes:

· Godfather
521 Posts
What I really was disappointed with was that I didn't see it breaking any new ground at all. It was new characters, but the same "content" slightly modified. Between Psych, The Mentalist, Lie to Me and the movie A Beautiful Mind, this seemed to take a few bits from each and make a new recipe, but it's not really different.

· Hall Of Fame
1,711 Posts
Church AV Guy said:
What I really was disappointed with was that I didn't see it breaking any new ground at all. It was new characters, but the same "content" slightly modified. Between Psych, The Mentalist, Lie to Me and the movie A Beautiful Mind, this seemed to take a few bits from each and make a new recipe, but it's not really different.
Yeah, that was my take on it as well. I kept seeing warmed over bits from other shows/movies. About the only part I really liked was the wrap-up at the end

Rachael Leigh Cook as the FBI agent looks like she's 16, and I just didn't buy her in the role at all. Why does Hollywood keep pandering to this hot young chick with the older guy fantasy? It's getting tired. Kyra Sedgewick on the Closer (who's 47) is far sexier than this girl, and someone in that age range would have made more sense.

Pilots are often rough, so I'll give it another episode or two, but I'm not sure they can fix the problems I have with the show.

· Hall Of Fame
1,711 Posts
There's one other series that this show reminded me of - Jeff Goldblum's failed 2007 series RAINES. He was a cop who talked to the ghosts of the murder victims who's cases he was investigating. Early on in the series (maybe at the end of the first episode) we discover that his partner is a ghost too.

From what I remember of it, the show was interesting, but the stories were a bit depressing. IMDB says there were only 7 episodes made. It was on NBC.

· Hall Of Fame
1,711 Posts
Episode 2 wasn't half bad. The Russian Bride scenario has been done to death (even The Closer did this plot in season one, along with just about every other cop/detective series...) but they added enough new twists to make it interesting.

I guessed the final twist early on, but it was still fun to watch and Jamie Bambier from Battlestar Galactica was a great addition. I hope he sticks around.

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
I agree that after watching the first two episodes, it is pretty formulaic. Perception is enjoyable but I doubt it will become required viewing for me.

What I found interesting in episode 2 was the language. At one point, the words BS and a-hole, and not the abbreviations I just used but the full words, were used in a scene. I wasn't used to that. I wasn't offended, just surprised.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.