DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that is the question. I currently have one HD DVR (I believe an H21) and one HD reciever (non-DVR). My HD DVR has been acting screwy lately (freezing and not powering down correctly) and I want to upgrade. I have heard there are a lot of bugs with the H34. I currently do not have DECA (but I do have a very good wireless N setup). In order to upgrade to the H34, and get the multiroom setup would I need to have DECA setup? Does DTV charge a ton for the installation? Should I just get the DVR replaced and if so, can I get multi-room without having DECA installed? Having a hard time deciding any help would be huge. Thanks a ton.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,905 Posts
slov72 said:
that is the question. I currently have one HD DVR (I believe an H21) and one HD reciever (non-DVR). My HD DVR has been acting screwy lately (freezing and not powering down correctly) and I want to upgrade. I have heard there are a lot of bugs with the H34. I currently do not have DECA (but I do have a very good wireless N setup). In order to upgrade to the H34, and get the multiroom setup would I need to have DECA setup? Does DTV charge a ton for the installation? Should I just get the DVR replaced and if so, can I get multi-room without having DECA installed? Having a hard time deciding any help would be huge. Thanks a ton.
I just had an HR22 doing similar things. I called and was able to get them to swap my HR22 for an HR34 and add supported MRV all for free. I was out of contract and had to start a new 2 year commitment, but I wasn't going anywhere. Took going to a retention csr to get it, but I'm happy with the HR34.

I've had a couple glitches, like getting a gray screen when using double play and PIP. All I had to do is enter a channel number and it changed to that channel and was fine. Also had one issue with MRV on my other HR22, it didn't display the recording list from my HR34. But disconnecting the coax to the Deca and reattaching actually cleared that up. So I would suggest you go for it!
 

·
RF Engineer
Joined
·
4,324 Posts
RACJ2 said:
I just had an HR22 doing similar things. I called and was able to get them to swap my HR22 for an HR34 and add supported MRV all for free. I was out of contract and had to start a new 2 year commitment, but I wasn't going anywhere. Took going to a retention csr to get it, but I'm happy with the HR34.
You accepted a 2 year commitment for "exchanging" your HD DVR for a different model HD DVR? That's outrageous!! The only time a new 2 year commitment should be triggered is if you ADD equipment or UPGRADE equipment. (An HD DVR swap for a different model HD DVR isn't an "upgrade")

You should have just paid $20 S & H for a replacement with NO COMMITMENT.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
100 Posts
ThomasM said:
You accepted a 2 year commitment for "exchanging" your HD DVR for a different model HD DVR? That's outrageous!! The only time a new 2 year commitment should be triggered is if you ADD equipment or UPGRADE equipment. (An HD DVR swap for a different model HD DVR isn't an "upgrade")

You should have just paid $20 S & H for a replacement with NO COMMITMENT.
Sorry, but "swapping" an HR2x DVR for an HR34 is an upgrade.
 

·
RF Engineer
Joined
·
4,324 Posts
rainydave said:
Sorry, but "swapping" an HR2x DVR for an HR34 is an upgrade.
No it's not. DirecTV's CSR system only has 4 types of equipment (well maybe now 5 with the new TiVo that rips you off an additional $5 a month): SD Receiver, HD Receiver, SD DVR (including the R22), HD DVR.

There is no distinction indicating that an HR34 is an "upgrade" from other models of HD DVR.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
"ThomasM" said:
No it's not. DirecTV's CSR system only has 4 types of equipment (well maybe now 5 with the new TiVo that rips you off an additional $5 a month): SD Receiver, HD Receiver, SD DVR (including the R22), HD DVR.

There is no distinction indicating that an HR34 is an "upgrade" from other models of HD DVR.
This isn't true, there is a distinction in the system for an HMC, which is the HR34. Now, if they eventually have an HR34-100 or HR35, ordering an HMC could mean any of those, but never a HR20-24.

I did have the CSR that I was working with to replace my HR34 tell me that they couldn't guarantee I'd get one, because it was functionally equivalent to a DVR. I said except 5 tuners, RVU, etc etc, and she did say that didn't matter. However, I got what I expected. I chalked it up to a CSR that didn't know about the very new equipment.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top